Suzuki Dropped the Ball

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
When you think about great bikes (Ducati 916, Honda CBR1000, GSXR750 & 1000, Blackbird, Hayabusa, BMW S1000RR) they all ushered in a new era in bike development. They were the first bikes to the party and that, more than anything made them king.

Suzuki missed the opportunity to keep the flag in the hyper bike class by letting the current ZX-14R beat them to the punch. Think about this: If all the Japanese manufacturers had added TC, ABS, & 15hp to their models 2 years ago (which was completely doable) – the BMW S1000RR would be just another bike.

If Suzuki had added TC & ABS to the 2011 or 2012 Busa, we would be talking about how the new ZX-14R is just as good as a Busa. I find this amazing since all that stuff could be grafted onto the Busa from parts that have been in production on Suzuki bikes for years at minimal cost (I know some will say they didn’t do this so that their dealers could clear old stock). The fact that Suzuki did nothing says to me they either have something really big in the oven or they have given up on performance bikes.

However what could be in the oven? If the Hayabusa gets massive horsepower then it would not be the great all-rounder it is now. It would be too focused on a drag strip. TC, ABS, quick shifters are all expectations now and would certainly not make the bike a must have class leader. So by not keeping the Hayabusa up to date Suzuki may have ended its ability to dominate the class.

They could get very high tech. For example they could maybe add a system to drop 2 cylinders to get huge cruising mileage. Maybe lighten the bike by 50 pounds. But gadgets are expensive and selling price has to stay reasonable. The bottom line is that by not steadily improving the Busa Suzuki is where Kawasaki was up until this year’s model: What could you possibly do to make a better Busa (or ZX-14R)?

Personally, on the Busa I hope they don't make any changes for a few more years, as I like it just the way it is.

What happens with frequent model changes.... 2010 XZ14, can get one with 350 miles for $6000. 2010 Hayabusa, same mileage, $9,500.

On the 1K bikes, hang in there, they will be top of the list again, if not 2014, then 2015.

I think they are just waiting to see how the 14 does. give it a couple of years just like they did on 06 when they came out with the g2 in 08. This time however i hope that they dont half azz it like they did with the g2. Come out with a motor that is stronger. period. not half measures. plus this time update other parts of the bike. Electronics is a big one. Brakes abs standard...btw. maybe a little lighter. There are so many things that they need to do to make the bike worth buying it just depends on whether or not Zuk feels like it is worth spending the money on. Its a tough market right now. and will be for years to come. hard to justify 14k for a pleasure vehicle for most. I have to be honest though. I am now considering the 14. not now. in a couple of years. i want to see if zuk really does respond strongly. if not, well then i may look elsewhere.

Updates here and there are fine but Im waiting for a gen 3 before I get another bike. I want electronics but not enought to ditch my busa for a 1000 or a kawi.

There was an interesting article on the ZX-14R in Cycle World, which seemed to infer that, while there will be a battle for horsepower and speed, we will also see better handling, along with traction control and power modes. Apparently, the new ZX has power, improved handling, and power modes, and traction control is likely on the way--probably because it's a sport-tourer.

Suzuki seems to have been particularly hard-hit by the economic downturn, and, unlike other companies, even skipped a production year and limited their colors and "limited editions." With a withdrawal from MotoGP (in the face of some promise from Hopkins), and limited support in WSBK, it's probably just a slow down to survive economic pressures. Interesting that, at the same time, Kawasaki is moving in the other direction--maybe banking on the downturn to take advantage of the market. But, it's not limited to motorcycles--I was surprised to hear that Peugot was pulling out of the Le Mans endurance series, at a time when they were Audi's only real competitor, and Toyota's new entry was only running a limited program.

Hopefully, they're just taking a breather, and will come back with some new innovations that will maintain the spirit of the '99 Busa, with today's technology.

That said, if I was looking for a new sport-tourer, I'd definitely be taking the new ZX for a test ride. Just for fun.

Until the economy improves, I don't think we'll see a new bike.

Comparing the Busa with the zx14 is like comparing Tupac with Biggie, Yeah Biggie can flow but he is not nor ever will he be Tupac (sorry to my pals in da brick city). They are both great rappers but one was just more versatile, poetic and actually had positive messages in most of his music. Yeah the zx14 has nice stats but it will never be a Hayabusa to me it just does not have the history, the romance or the prestige of the Hayabusa. Sorry to go off topic but when folks start saying they may look at the 14 if they don't come out with something new or better or faster or more gadgets it just makes me appreciate the guys who still have a Gen 1 not because they can't afford to upgrade but because they love the Hayabusa and thats why i'm going down with the ship. I love the Hayabusa, Gen I and II. Thats why i'm here at Hayabusa News - Hayabusa.oRg News sorry but the 14 just does not do it for me......

PS Just my opinion, hope i wont be hated for it. Long Live Hayabusa!! :laugh:

How many bikes did Kawasaki make to finally beat the Busa? Lets count 11,12,14,14r they finally did it! More power to them! I will wait for a new Busa! Kaw's don't hold there value! Go pay 15k for it have fun just remember this a turbo fixes all the hype about the 14r!:laugh:

I look at it as two schools of thought.

1. Kawi is taking big swings to unseat the Busa. The ZX12. The original ZX14 finally got it kinda on par with the gen1, then the gen2 came out and unseated it again. Unfortunately with the 186 cap the measuring stick is now at the dragstrip and claimed power numbers. That, to myself at least, explains some of the attention towards the strip. Now they have the '12 model ZX and they're back on top. They show they'll do what they have to do in order to be number one in the hypersport world.

2. Suzuki is taking a more evoloutionary approach compared to the revolutionary leap the gen1 was when it was released. Something of a wait and see approach. They were on top so long they can do a little wait and see. It's the icon, everyone knows a Busa. It's not uncommon for someone to ask about mine every third ride or so.

I'd like to see some optional things. I'm not a big fan of ABS or TC but appreciate the technology especially from the aspect of being out front in the market. I'd love to see a factory luggage option especially since Suzuki doesn't have a Concours. I think Suzuki could easily continue appealing to the drag racers, corner carvers and sport tourers with a few options to the current package they already have.

I think lighter would be hard. Already an aluminum frame. An aluminum subframe would shed a few pounds but not a whole lot. There's a lot of weight to be gained in the exhaust but at more expense. It could be done but at higher cost and a loss of durability.

I do like where they went with the engine. Proven platform, a few tweaks such as dual injectors. Small efficient ones for cruising and a second set for bruising. My gen2 gets 2MPG more than the gen1 I had. Broken in the same way, ridden the same way in the same areas and with 20HP more.

It's easy to say where does it stop but how nuts did a motorcycle with 180HP that could scare 200MPH with lights, plate and blessing from the EPA sound? I could see some more tech, I suspect that the next HP number will be a headliner. They won't just crack 200HP. It'll be 220HP and reliable at that level. Maybe 1500cc or so. I feel that they're pretty close to what they can realistically produce per cc naturally apsirated so unless they extend the rev range displacement is key to more power.

I don't think it'll be '13 or even '14. I susepct it'll be a '15 model and will rattle the world. I'd wait to see what comes of the new ZX, the economy and fuel prices. The results following the next election will define several things. Nothing politically charged towards either side, ask any economist and they'll tell you the same. It'll take a little time to design and R&D.

Of course, pure speculation. Do I get a cookie if I'm right?:laugh:

What if Suzuki dropped a bomb on everyone and went to a 1000 CC, 3 cylinder turbo or supercharged bike? A 3 cylinder could be lighter and narrower and 220-250 hp is still easily doable. Put a 220 tire on it stock but keep the wheel base as short as possible so it will turn. Then add gixxer 1K forks and rear suspension, Of course TC and ABS too.

I know, that wouldn't be a BUsa at heart. Maybe they should do a new hyperbike and keep the Busa like it is.

i agree the Stock Turbo or Supercharged BIKE! would be a nice change, and a HUGE difference from the market. added fuel economy, less weight, variable boost....

it might change the whole idea on how we think about motorcycles!..

think entry level 250cc bikes with turbos...1000cc bikes with them... HMMM

I dunno guys. Some of you sound like you are trying to rationalize Suzuki's position of being #2 as ok. As they say, second place is the first loser. You could argue the 12 wasn't as much of a bike as a Busa, but the 14 whipped the Busa in power, 1/4 mile, and comfort. I credit Kawasaki for getting us the Gen-2 Busa which was nothing better than an equal to the 14 (not in comfort though). Just in time too because Suzuki hasn't done much since. Reality is I don't expect Suzuki to build a better performing bike than the 14. I would be happy if Suzuki would build a 1441 bike just as smart as the 14 was done and I could swap my parts over. I'd get one for sure.

Worst part is price(of course as always everything is going up).
It was nice when you could get a new 1000, busa, 12, 14 for $10k.
Regardless of paying for modern technology. There were many years til recently that $10k or less bought a whole lot of new motorcycle.
Depreceation seems worse than ever too, not that I really care as I buy them to ride, not sell.
Sure, Suzuki can make a monster gen3 busa, and they'll probably price it at 150% of a gen2.
It'll take myself and alot of other folks a while before we want to pay that for a new bike. I'de just save a few grand on a used one and use the extra cash for mods. Most of us spend a fortune in a bike after the intial cost anyway.
If the economy doesn't pick up these new bikes are going to price themselves right out of the market. Or really hurt the dealers...again. We've already seen that in last couple years.

Competition improves the breed. Suzuki has rested on it laurels ('99 Busa) for too long. Look how long they left the GEN1 basically unchanged before tweaking it with the GEN2. When motorcyclists speak the word "Hayabusa" everyone thinks hyper performance (based on the initial '99 impression).

If Suzuki doesn't want to play, that's their business. If they want to turn the 'Busa into more of a sport tourer, that's their business. But, many of us who appreciated what they did in '99, will be very disappointed.

Step up Suzuki. Show us you care by giving us another '99 leap in performance. :please:

Or, just throw in the towel and admit you are no longer the performance enthusiast company you once were. :angry:

i have been a suzuki enthusiast since i rode my friends gsxr11 in 89. i immediately found a used 87 gsxr11 and rode it to the ground! follies of youth! hahahaha

when i was ready for another sport bike the busa was the only bike i wanted. i picked up my gen1 about 3 years ago, and love it dearly. im not concerned with the zx14, nor any of the other bikes out there. perhaps a gen2, or 3? sometime in the future.

hayabusa for life...

I like my 'busa. I don't care much for the Ninja. I'm the only person looking over my shield, and I'm pretty happy with the view. The dude on the 14? I hope he likes his bike as much as I like mine.

I dunno guys. Some of you sound like you are trying to rationalize Suzuki's position of being #2 as ok. As they say, second place is the first loser. You could argue the 12 wasn't as much of a bike as a Busa, but the 14 whipped the Busa in power, 1/4 mile, and comfort. I credit Kawasaki for getting us the Gen-2 Busa which was nothing better than an equal to the 14 (not in comfort though). Just in time too because Suzuki hasn't done much since. Reality is I don't expect Suzuki to build a better performing bike than the 14. I would be happy if Suzuki would build a 1441 bike just as smart as the 14 was done and I could swap my parts over. I'd get one for sure.
I bought my gen 1 busa new in 04, I had to decide between the busa or the then new zx10, which was just as fast if not a bit quicker than the busa. I got the busa for the torque and 2 up comfort, and will be keeping it forever. But the busa only really ruled the roost from 99 to 04, then the liters became just as fast, and in 06 the 14 became the new King of Kwick. The gen 2 busa slightly edged the 14 according to some, but it was very close. The new 14 has made no doubt who the new mack daddy of 2 wheels is....same thing the original busa did in 99. I agree with Dennis, Kawi has raised the hp bar too high, I think everyone else, including suzuki, is going to be too leery of government legislation to blow past the 14 with an extra 20 or so horses to spare. I doubt suzuki is even going to match it with their current financial situation and mindset. They have a legendary, awesome performing seller as is with the current busa, I think except for some electronic gadgetry like tc, abs, etc the busa is going to stay the same for quite a while to come. Besides these bikes are becoming too expensive to be a big sales, high R&D item every few years. Its just not cost effective to try and outdo each other every couple years anymore, especially for suzuki it seems.

Back