My Dilemma

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I love the Hayabusa but I’m starting to get the itch for upgrades. I want to move forward with my plans for a full exhaust, brakes, suspension and wheels. My problem is after I sink $10K into my 09 I will still have a bike without TC or ABS, which is important to me and the way I ride. I could add a Bazzaz to get some TC but adding ABS looks like it’s not going to be possible. So do I keep sinking money into the Busa or punt and start over with a platform that has modern electronics?

I almost think it would be easier to get a B-king with ABS and add a fairing and fix the tail than building up a Busa. What are you all thinking on upgrades?

Kawasaki C14

2.jpg

7.jpg

people have been riding bikes for decades without TC or ABS and doing just fine. imo its a solution to a problem that doesnt exist on a MC. a car that weighs 3600 lbs. gains a big advantage with TC and ABS but I just dont see it as a deal breaker on a bike. just more unecessary weight that will hardly make u a better rider.

I say just modify ur bike and not worry about all the bells and whistles.

people have been riding bikes for decades without TC or ABS and doing just fine. imo its a solution to a problem that doesnt exist on a MC. a car that weighs 3600 lbs. gains a big advantage with TC and ABS but I just dont see it as a deal breaker on a bike. just more unecessary weight that will hardly make u a better rider.

I say just modify ur bike and not worry about all the bells and whistles.

What's different is that almost all cars make perfect stops now. They are stopping really fast which makes it much more difficult on us.

Do you find your self constantly spinning up the rear or locking up the front?

Not really but I have had two close calls this month alone and a spill last month. The spill was in the rain and going down was probably a blessing because there was little damage and had I not slide I would have hit the car in front of me. I'm a decent rider and good with the brakes and throttle. But you can still get bit, especially when you typically ride for 7-9 hours at a time. It's pretty hard to concentrate for 9 hours like you can on a couple laps at a track day.

I hate the K1300, the S1000RR is too track focused for me and no way do I want a grandpa bike like the C14!

New ZX14R has traction control, but no ABS. Otherwise, it's going to be a liter bike (BMW, ZX10R), or a sport touring bike to get both TC and ABS.

Not really but I have had two close calls this month alone and a spill last month. The spill was in the rain and going down was probably a blessing because there was little damage and had I not slide I would have hit the car in front of me. I'm a decent rider and good with the brakes and throttle. But you can still get bit, especially when you typically ride for 7-9 hours at a time. It's pretty hard to concentrate for 9 hours like you can on a couple laps at a track day.

Holy Christ if you are riding for that long at a time sounds like you need a car......or a gold wing :laugh:

Kudos to you. Anything over an hour to 1.5 hours and I'm spent.

1.5 hours on a Busa is a good warmup. 6-10 hours only stopping for gas and 1 meal stop is not uncommon for me, the wife and the other guy we usually ride with.
We are nothing compared to how some here ride.
Via Tapatalk

The FJR1300 is a nice bike.TC and abs is nice but is it really necessary on a bike??Guess it depends on what you want.

1.5 hours on a Busa is a good warmup. 6-10 hours only stopping for gas and 1 meal stop is not uncommon for me, the wife and the other guy we usually ride with.
We are nothing compared to how some here ride.
Via Tapatalk
Okay, off topic, but Bret, I love your bike.

What's different is that almost all cars make perfect stops now. They are stopping really fast which makes it much more difficult on us.
if cars stop so perfect now why do they still skid and crash? cars do not stop perfect and ABS only assists in ur stopping ability.

so ur saying if a bike isnt equiped with ABS it cant stop in time now cause the car in front of him has ABS? Really? been riding off and on for 20 years and never crashed nor felt the need for better braking.

bikes stop on a dime and ABS is not and never has been needed. will it help? cant see it hurting but again is a solution to a problem that doesnt exist on a 550 lb. bike. were not talking about a 900 lb HD dresser. even MotoGP riders rarely crash as a result of braking. usually, they crash after they are off or mostly off the brakes and cornering.

70-75% of ur braking on a bike is done with ur front wheel which almost never locks up even under the hardest of braking and if you know how to ride and brake properly you should be able to stop in ANY situation. ABS is to keep the front wheel from locking. if your having trouble stopping then your traveling too fast for conditions and ABS will not save you nor does it save cars when traveling too fast which normally weigh 7-10 times more then a MC.

I would be willing to be over the next decade all bikes will have ABS. ill bet the federal governmet mandates it.

Back