Kawasaki (ZX-14R) and Sport Rider Magazine.......Tell us how you really feel!!

Kinda reminds me of the Suzuki RF900's from back in the day only the bigger version. Was never diggin the Testerossa fins anyway

Sales are still doing terrible for Suzuki as well as the other Asian manufacturers. I know a salesman real well at a dealership and he said that the new 14's weren't exactly rolling out of the shop very fast. It's an expensive bike in a horrendous economy and I'm certain Suzuki is very aware of this and is watching to see how many bikes are actually sold. Just because all the boards are all raving about it and the magazines love it, the bottom line is how many are really moving off of the showroom floor. Does it make money sense for Suzuki to come out with a new model when the market for it is very limited.

The same salesman told me that they sold over 100 2008 busas but come next year when the economy really crashed, they had only sold 3 of the 2009's through July. Sales just stopped because of the bad economy and also because credit dried up. It became very difficult to qualify for a loan which stopped a lot of younger people from getting a loan. No loans.....no sales.

Harley's are still selling good but there are a lot of older people with money buying them. Even on this site; you don't really see many people buying new, current models of the busa. What I mostly see is people talking about getting their 2008 or 2009 for $8500 or $9000. Why buy new. Those are used bikes Suzuki already sold, not new units coming off of their floors. The manufacturers need people to buy new models and if the 14's aren't selling that good,then why would Suzuki have any incentive to come out with a Gen III. I would love to see a Gen III just for bragging rights because I do like Suzukis. However......would I actually sell my current pristine Gen I just to have the privelige to have to spend maybe $16,000 with taxes and fees just to have the latest and greatest? I doubt it. I would buy a new car first.

It may be fun to read about the horsepower wars but its very expensive to actually participate in them.
I was asking some questions from a pretty knowledgeable, upfront sales guy that I know pretty well and have been on a couple group rides with. He also works at a combo dealership, suzuki, kawi and yamaha, and he said sales are so poor with suzuki, especially the 1000's and busa's, that he had heard mentioned that suzi was possibly considering dropping the busa and replacing it with a tourer based off the busa platform to contend with the connie 14 and such, which is a much better market? They've also only sold one 14 with 4 on the floor. They only have one busa, a new leftover 2011. He said they're going to only sell the busa and 14 to order, so there won't be any more on the floor, you order it then they get it. He said suzuki is definately hit the worst though sales wise :banghead: Everybody wants some new tech for the big pricetags.

The Busa has been on borrowed time since 2002. The ZX-12 was more powerful and faster until the hammer came down and Kawi had to detune it and govern the top speed prior to release. Ask anyone who has ridden an unrestricted ZX-12, the King was dead 10 years ago, but was saved from a public death by the "gentleman's" speed limiting agreement. This is beside the point though. The Busa is a great machine, a blast to ride, and pretty comfy to boot. It's reputation is still intact and its promise still fulfilled; to be a fast, bad-ass motorcycle at a decent price. Then you have the poser perspective. A lot of people bought the Busa because of it's reputation and maybe Suzuki will lose the sales of some wanna-be posers to the ZX-14 because they have to have the fastest bike on the planet, one which they probably will never use to 75% of it abilities, or kill themselves trying to.

I'm personally a fan of great bikes and think that competition is a good thing. I think as long as the 186 mph speed governors are in place, we won't see the hammer come down again to chop horsepower.....I hope!!

Went by my dealership today for some gloves. The salesman wanted to look at my bike bc I had told him my last trip that I had powdercoated the pegs. Too busy on a Saturday to walk outside, anywho, after buying the gloves we stepped outside and he said WOW and wanted to know who did it. He said he had a buddy who wanted to change up his white Busa and I told him what lankey had done. He told me that he had sold three Busi last week and that he had one 14 on the floor and wouldn't be ordering another bc Kawi was out. I don't know if that checks out or not.

In my area I was just at dealer picking up swinga rm spools for the 14r, they told me already sold 5 in green and 4 others in different colors(black,blue) in just a month, so they are selling like hot cakes around these little parts

Oh yea also say the new limited 12' busa on Friday night at dealer, it sure was. Sharp, guess what, already sold it, big bikes sell good in the open area Midwest.

I live in the great pacific northwest, we get more rain than most anywhere else, it can dampen the riding some. Maybe bikes just don't sell as well up here? Beautiful riding though :laugh: Its good to hear the big bikes are selling good in other areas. I was kinda bummed to hear the rumours of the busa possibly going bye bye, I love the busa/14 class of bikes, they're the top of the food chain in the hyperbike category. I'd REALLY miss them if they went away :banghead: And a connie 14 or something else like it would NOT work for me :laugh:

The busa is not more nimble than the new 14R and the 14 is smoother and more planted. Great suspension on the new 14 and also the brakes are very easy to modulate and very strong. Just my .02! Stock for Stock, no comparison.

I just rode the 2012 ZX14 at the Kawi Demo Days a week ago Saturday. I must say fishhook I disagree! The Kawi was bulky, much less nimble from side to side in the corners, and the brakes seemed dangerously weak!

I do value your opinion. But after that demo ride, on both the ZX14 and ZX10, for my riding style/preference, I'll take my 50,000 mile (I put 43,000 miles on myself) Gen 1 Hayabusa over either of those bikes brand new.

Was seriously thinking of getting this fugly bike but we only get the disgusting green in Canada and the 14 front end is so f--in ugly I couldnt do it.

Decided to go for this gen 1 not speed limited Busa with full akro and other goodies for less than half. I am sure the 14 is waay quicker and Kawa does make the best ram air, I really dont think Suzuki really cares that much what Kawasaki does, it took them 8 years just to add a lousy 40cc!.

IMG_1192_1_.jpg

I just rode the 2012 ZX14 at the Kawi Demo Days a week ago Saturday. I must say fishhook I disagree! The Kawi was bulky, much less nimble from side to side in the corners, and the brakes seemed dangerously weak!

I do value your opinion. But after that demo ride, on both the ZX14 and ZX10, for my riding style/preference, I'll take my 50,000 mile (I put 43,000 miles on myself) Gen 1 Hayabusa over either of those bikes brand new.

You are probally the first person i have read about that complained about the brakes, my last 3 bikes all had brembo brakes, BMW/Ducati and I can tell you the 14r brakes are not far behind them, you may have had a bike with a brake issue.

The 14 brakes are outrageously strong, almost too strong after coming off my busa :O You definately have to be careful until you adjust to them. But they were putting the first gen 14 front brakes on zx10's as a performance mod...the brakes were that good.

Was seriously thinking of getting this fugly bike but we only get the disgusting green in Canada and the 14 front end is so f--in ugly I couldnt do it.

Decided to go for this gen 1 not speed limited Busa with full akro and other goodies for less than half. I am sure the 14 is waay quicker and Kawa does make the best ram air, I really dont think Suzuki really cares that much what Kawasaki does, it took them 8 years just to add a lousy 40cc!.

IMG_1192_1_.jpg

I know that bike! The owner of what used to be Motorsports World Suzuki built that up. I know it went down to Brockville (or thereabouts) from Ottawa, and now Toronto! Enjoy it! :thumbsup:

As for the new -14, the Kawi dealer in town got their green SE in during the winter and it's still sitting in the showroom. The Suzi dealer has a slick looking 2012 Haybusa in Sonoma Red in the showroom that I sat on yesterday... I may be biased but I still prefer the old Bus. Especially in red. :bowdown:

The handling can be a matter of opinion, but the brakes??? There must have been something wrong with the one you rode. My stock 14R brakes are much stronger than My Gen II brakes with stainless lines and EBC Exreme Pro pads. They are worlds apart.

The handling can be a matter of opinion, but the brakes??? There must have been something wrong with the one you rode. My stock 14R brakes are much stronger than My Gen II brakes with stainless lines and EBC Exreme Pro pads. They are worlds apart.
The brakes on my 06 14 are amazing, by far the strongest brakes I've ever used on a bike. I can't see the new 14R's being any worse. Somethings not right about that guys test ride ???

Kawi has done this in the past with the ZX12 and the first Gen ZX14. They even sent ringers to riders like Rickey Gadson to promote sales,hype the speeds and 1/4 mile times. Suzuki will always dominate the market with these Hyperbikes because the Busas are easier to wok on and the aftermarket support is bigger for the Busa.

Kawi has done this in the past with the ZX12 and the first Gen ZX14. They even sent ringers to riders like Rickey Gadson to promote sales,hype the speeds and 1/4 mile times. Suzuki will always dominate the market with these Hyperbikes because the Busas are easier to wok on and the aftermarket support is bigger for the Busa.
Yup all my ZX14s were ringers .. The 06 ran 8.70s , the 09 run 8.70s and my new ZX14R runs 8.50s on pump gas ...The ZX14 is easy to work on if you know what you are doing .. Anything you can buy for a busa you can buy for a zx14 ..

Yup all my ZX14s were ringers .. The 06 ran 8.70s , the 09 run 8.70s and my new ZX14R runs 8.50s on pump gas ...The ZX14 is easy to work on if you know what you are doing .. Anything you can buy for a busa you can buy for a zx14 ..

Were those stock times? And yes anything u buy for the Busa you can buy for the 14.

Back