I think I am a target!

Wow. That's about as close as close calls get. Hats off to being aware and proactive enough that you had put yourself in a place that allowed the incident to be a close call and not a "hit from the rear" accident. Whew. I think I would've called the cops and had the guy pulled over and tested for DUI/DWI.

Glad you're OK. Keep those eyes on the back of your helmet scanning.

Best of luck!

First, I am glad you came away unscathed. You can thank your good sense and riding "street smarts" for assisting you.

Getting into situations like that happen every to me every so often. I used to get angry, and more often than not, violent. I even would have a couple of quarters taped to the left side of my handlebars, and they were not for tolls.

As I got older, I realized that it was all a waste. Going ape on some mindless tool didn't make me feel any better in the long run (it did short term, though!). I would come away from events such as this with a much more clear perspective on life's priorities. They are moments where you realize that you are not invincible, or indestructible. It sucks being reminded of your own mortality, but it sure does redefine what is really important in life.

Now when some arse-wipe gives me a serious pucker moment, I go home and tell my wife how much I love her, and spend some extra time with our dogs.

Glad you didn't become another statistic..

I'd gladly take a ticket for illegal lane splitting in order to avoid that close call. Lane splitting should be legal or at least tolerated in all 50 states.

Dang, Cap. Glad you're here to tell us this tale.

The only time I ever adjusted a mirror on a car was the time the car pulled from the slow lane into me while I was in the fast lane, attempting to go around her. She had her window down and HAD to have heard me honk my horn but she kept coming on over anyway.

I backed off just long enough to go around her and then zipped between her and the car that was now next to her and smacked the crap out of her passenger side mirror. I don't know if it broke or not but I never felt a thing on my hand. As I checked my mirror, I saw the car swerve violently back and forth in the lane, veering off onto the shoulder and nearly into the center divider before coming back into the lane in a cloud of dust.

THAT was some satisfaction. To this day, I'm glad I scared her as much as she scared me that day. No regrets.

However, I don't smack mirrors any more. Too risky.

--Wag--

Glad your ok and didn't get hurt!

I have gotten in the same habbit of positioning myself the the edge of the lane just for situations like you described.

Very very glad you are OK Doug. We had 3 accidents involving bikes in Tulsa yesterday, one was a fatality. Way to check your six bro, keep your head up guys.

I always watch my mirrors in those situations and am prepared to jump over onto the shoulder. I watched an older couple on a trike get rear-ended once and was the first to reach them to help. Since that day I'm always on the lookout.

Very glad you expected the worst and it worked. I too would have reacted as you did regarding wanting his fat arse!:thumbsup:

Glad you didn't become another statistic..

I'd gladly take a ticket for illegal lane splitting in order to avoid that close call. Lane splitting should be legal or at least tolerated in all 50 states.

My thoughts exactly. I won't sit at the end of a line of traffic, regardless of whether or not lane splitting is legal. I'd rather make my case to an officer or judge than risk my life.

Glad you're OK, Cap.

Back