I think I am a target!

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
So it was 86 today (I rubbed it in last night) so I got up early and rode to work before rush hour traffic. I started home this afternoon on the interstate, not too much traffic but it did start to back up. I always choose who I ride in front of, I typically look and see who is giving the vehicle in front of them plenty of stopping room and I make my way in front of them, thats the guy you want to be riding in front of. So Im running about 70 and I see the car that is not following the guy in front of him too close so I pass them and get over in the lane in front of the good driver. I went about a mile with the car behind be doing exactly what I wanted, they stayed close enough that no one would cut inbetween us but gave me enough room to not feel pressure... traffic began to slow down and then before you know it traffic in front was lined up at a stop,

I was in the left lane so I pulled as far to the left as I could (The front tire was touching the white line) there was a good distance between the car behind me and anything behind it, as we slowed to a crawl in the left lane the car that had been protecting me changed lanes and moved to the right... So there I am the last in the line on the Interstate.... I hit my emergency flashers to get me as much visibility as I could and a blue truck came flying up and I heard tires screeching and a it slid right up next to me in the same lane coming just an inch from hitting the truck in front of me. So there I am in the left lane all the way against the line, the bike is leaning to the left because I have my left foot down and a truck that can't be 2 inches from my exhaust and handle bars....... The drivers window was down on the truck and guy that weighed Im guessing about 400 lbs is driving, he doesn't even look at me... I lost it, I flipped my visor up and started screaming at the driver, I could literally reach over through his window and grab him..... I was yelling everything I could think of, after about 5 seconds of this he still hasn't turned his head to even acknowledge me.. I was actually thinking that if he went forward that he was going to hit me, I put the kickstand down and was slinging my leg off the bike and the door of the truck in front came open, he was coming back to help...... I got off the bike still screaming at this fat ass in the truck that is glassy eyed and moving very very slow....

I got off the bike and then realized I couldnt even pull his fat body out of the truck because I couldn't open the door because my bike was inches away, the guy in front was ready to do whatever (I think from his actions) he got out and came back to me, traffic was clearing in front of us and there was quite the commotion there now because the other lane had stopped to see what was going on... The guy that was standing with me just looked at me not knowing what to do so I just told him I was getting off the interstate so he got back in his truck and I got back on the bike.. I was still yelling at the driver beside me, he was OBVIOUSLY under some sort of medication or drunk...

I got on the bike and had to go farther to the left so that I wouldnt hit the trucks mirror.. I took off and got about 50 feet and I heard a beep beep horn, I looked over and a guy in a car gave me the thumbs up.. He slowed down, pulled behind me and "picked" traffic for me for the next 5 miles... every time I hit my signal he forced his way over and let me in front.. the last time I saw the blue truck it was still sitting in the same place on the highway, I went over the hill about 300 yards and he was still there..

I think I am a truck magnet........ Do you guys have run in's like this as often as I do?

I can see the headlines now... "Motorcyclist killed on Interstate, speed not a factor"

cap

Last edited:
oh yeah. Sometimes it makes me not want to ride anymore. I had a guy who would not keep distance between him and I and when we pulled up to a light...he literally stopped 6 inches from my back tire. I was furious, reached back and gave his hood a fist pound. Light turned green and I made sure to give us PLENTY of room...never saw him again.

On a better note...I'm glad you made out unscathed :thumbsup:

Karma bit ya for rubbing it in! Ok, that's bad, sorry.

Seriously, glad you are smart enough to avoid the accident. Good on ya.

More states need to pass legislation to let bikes share lanes with cars. It doesn't save congestion however it does prevent these kinds of accidents and let's those on bikes get to their destination quicker.

And yes, idiot cagers are everywhere so keep your eyes open and ATGATT.

At 400 pounds he could have killed you by just falling on you.
He sounds as big as a truck.
Now that would be a headline!

wow. thank goodness you were on the line!

I think it's good that you didn't attack the 400lbs. guy. From reading the story of course i'm thinking that WOULD'VE BEEN EXCELLENT! But no, you made a good choice (being on the line), into a great outcome (you didn't get a ticket for assault also).

thanks for sharing

At 400 pounds he could have killed you by just falling on you.
He sounds as big as a truck.
Now that would be a headline!

"Motorcyclist killed by fat man falling on him after close call on Interstate"

Man. No, I havent had anything more than a drunk lady try and make a u turn right in frt of me. I found out she was drunk by turning around to yell at her after she parked and couldnt hardly walk.

yeah today it was 65 degrees here for the first time in 149 days, according to the news guy. bikes out all over the place and of course one got in an accident. nobody I know, but its a good reminder to be careful out there, especially in places where bikes havent been on the road since last fall. people forget to watch out for bikes because they have been gone for so long.

Amazing tale. So close to disaster...again.

Glad to hear the guy missed his 'target'. Now where's that 'whew' similie?

:thumbsup:

Man Cap, I know that feeling, hearing those wheels screaching towards you, just waiting for the big bang. Then the second that you realize you're not going to be a hood orniment, instant RAGE !! In my younger days I would of went right through the window on that guy, no matter what he said, or did afterwards. Now I understand we all do stupid things, and with a sincere apology I have no problem letting it go. BUT when they almost cost you your life, and then have the reaction that you got, or lack of I should say, it's very hard to stop the fuse. And if they're messed up (which this guy obviously was) "Sorry" don't realy work too good.

Glad you didn't get nailed !! Knowing to get all the way over in the lane, just for that reason, must be one of those things you learn with years of riding, which I tend to overlook sometimes. It's threads like this that puts theese thoughts in my head, while I'm riding !!

Wow! I'm glad to hear that it all worked out and nobody was hurt. Also, good job on not jerking the other guy out of the truck and earning a trip to the pokey.

Something that I like that is on the 08 and that is the emergecy flasher on the left switch housing... You can just push it with your thumb to get the extra lights flashing.....

Something that I like that is on the 08 and that is the emergecy flasher on the left switch housing... You can just push it with your thumb to get the extra lights flashing.....

Yeah, I hadn't yet thought of a situation in which to use them, but you just brought up a great one.

Glad to hear that you survived a close call Doug. Good on the other driver for running block for you also. But the best thing that you did/did not do was keep your physical cool and not attack the Fat Rat Bast**d. Speaking from experience here, it is never a good or wise choice to physically attack another driver under any circumstances. The 1st time I did, some lady took my lane with out looking as I was passing her at the speed limit. She literally drove me over the curb and on to the grass. She kept going oblivious to what she had done. So I chase her down 2 blocks to the 4 way stop sign and roll up to her on the driver side and start screaming at her. She rolled the window down and started sling assualts about bikers. I said well since you wanted to kill me and tried, I now want to smack some sense in to you, so I Biotch slapped once and left. That cost me a Disorderly conduct misdemeanor on a plea. 3 Years later I am going through some twisties all graveled up so I am going the limit but being causious. One of those MediumDuty Tow trucks comes flying up and rides my butt at 40 MPH and when I say right on my butt, my girl (at that time) was able to reach around and yank his hood ornament off the truck Yes at 40MPH. I could feel the heat from his radiator on my back and arms. When we got to the stop sign I put the kickstand down and got off the bike to go back to his truck which was stopped 3 inches from my fender. I walked up to the truck jumped up on the boards and went off on him asking him WTF is your problem. He rolled the window up so I tryed the door. It was locked so I smashed the window and grabed him by the throat. Asked how he would like it if I called his boss and reported him. He said he was the boss so I punched him. That one got me Criminal damage to property (Misdemeanor) and Assault and Battery. Took it to court they dropped the A&B and dropped the other to disorderly conduct. I was lucky.
So just remember by law it is OK for them to try and kill us, but there is nothing we can do to stop them if they are bent on doing it.And if we try, we are facing a judge.

Glad it worked out for you Doug with no damage, no injuries, no court time. I wish I had your control.

Glad to hear that you survived a close call Doug. Good on the other driver for running block for you also. But the best thing that you did/did not do was keep your physical cool and not attack the Fat Rat Bast**d. Speaking from experience here, it is never a good or wise choice to physically attack another driver under any circumstances. The 1st time I did, some lady took my lane with out looking as I was passing her at the speed limit. She literally drove me over the curb and on to the grass. She kept going oblivious to what she had done. So I chase her down 2 blocks to the 4 way stop sign and roll up to her on the driver side and start screaming at her. She rolled the window down and started sling assualts about bikers. I said well since you wanted to kill me and tried, I now want to smack some sense in to you, so I Biotch slapped once and left. That cost me a Disorderly conduct misdemeanor on a plea. 3 Years later I am going through some twisties all graveled up so I am going the limit but being causious. One of those MediumDuty Tow trucks comes flying up and rides my butt at 40 MPH and when I say right on my butt, my girl (at that time) was able to reach around and yank his hood ornament off the truck Yes at 40MPH. I could feel the heat from his radiator on my back and arms. When we got to the stop sign I put the kickstand down and got off the bike to go back to his truck which was stopped 3 inches from my fender. I walked up to the truck jumped up on the boards and went off on him asking him WTF is your problem. He rolled the window up so I tryed the door. It was locked so I smashed the window and grabed him by the throat. Asked how he would like it if I called his boss and reported him. He said he was the boss so I punched him. That one got me Criminal damage to property (Misdemeanor) and Assault and Battery. Took it to court they dropped the A&B and dropped the other to disorderly conduct. I was lucky.
So just remember by law it is OK for them to try and kill us, but there is nothing we can do to stop them if they are bent on doing it.And if we try, we are facing a judge.

Glad it worked out for you Doug with no damage, no injuries, no court time. I wish I had your control.

note to self.......

Don't piss off firedog5800 at the bash......

great story... I wouldn't have pulled him out for a beat down but to hold him until busa159 got there to take him away! If he got scratched as he oozed out the door it would have happened... If he hadn't been so close and I could have gotten the door open he would have come out...

Traffic was backing up, cars are braking hard, I just had to make a choice and looking back it was the best long term choice but not the one that would get me the most satisfaction......

Cap

note to self.......

Don't piss off firedog5800 at the bash......

great story... I wouldn't have pulled him out for a beat down but to hold him until busa159 got there to take him away! If he got scratched as he oozed out the door it would have happened... If he hadn't been so close and I could have gotten the door open he would have come out...

Traffic was backing up, cars are braking hard, I just had to make a choice and looking back it was the best long term choice but not the one that would get me the most satisfaction......

Cap

I wont tell you about the time Some jerk in a truck tried to run My girls Dad over will rolling down the road. I rolled up next to Mr Dumb Ford Driver at 35 and punched him and then told him to try it again and see what happens.:beerchug: That one got me free soda for the rest of the day.:laugh:

But I have grown up now. I now get a tag number and go from there. It is good to know LEO's from all over.

Can't say I've been that tight with a careless driver, but I've had cars come close enough that I could touch them. All you can do is know where they are and make sure you have an escape route. In heavy traffic with no shoulder, I usually plan my escape between the lanes of traffic.

Back