I need your support and advice Orgsters.....and my confession....

Why isn't your BF going with you?! Sounds like an awesome adventure. It would be even more awesome if you could share it with someone you care about. Of course, doing it solo means better bragging rights! Show us how it is done ON A BUSA! :laugh:

You will have a blast, just be careful and enjoy the ride. I plan to ride my Hayabusa from Georgia to Fairbanks AK where I lived as a kid. Once I retire from the military in a couple of years, I am going to take 60 days and just go. It can be done, it has been done and will be done again.

What good is living life if you are not chasing your dreams and goals......

Shnizzle I was curious about the road you plan to take and googled it. I saw this pic..
In no way am I saying anything else other than

What if...?
yukon.jpg

The pic was posted in this review Dempster Highway - Yukon - Reviews of Dempster Highway - TripAdvisor.

You say your small and your Busa will be loaded so I just wanted you to maybe have a mental image of a bad/worst case scenario and maybe try to see how you would overcome this?
Again I wish you all the luck and safe travels.

You sound like a wonderful and adventurous person, it should be a wonderful trip! I too, have been planning an "on the edge" trip (only on a mountain bike) and think you should consider (I said just consider) helecoptor rescue insurance and renting a locater beacon. All else sounds together but, don't forget to talk to folks around each evenings destination re: Griz behavior, concentrations, etc. I suggest you always eat at least 50 feet away from where you sleep (we all tend to want to do everything in one "nest" in the evenings but not a good idea. Doyle

Sounds like you have a great trip planed. Should be fun and I hope you have a safe trip. I wish you the best.

best of luck to you...i'm glad to hear you are following your heart on choice of bikes, you would have never been comfortable or happy otherwise! now, just use your best judgement on the trip and i'll be looking forward to the pics! :beerchug:

I sent a pm but......mine is a 06 think they can be modified to fit?

Just saw this... I was thinking you had a Gen II. I've never worked on a Gen I, so I don't know about modding them to fit. Maybe someone else can offer more info. :dunno:

I think you did the right thing.

You would never have been happy on the Honda, and it most probably would have spoilt the whole trip for you if you weren't happy.

So ride safe, and looking forward to the pics and story's.

Sounds like an awesome trip! Best wishes. I do have a couple of thoughts:

1. You need a gun. Something you can wear on your body but big enough to drop a serious animal.
2. You need a rescue beacon.
3. You need to harden the busa. I would add frame rails, fork sliders, radiator/oil cooler protection. Adventure bikes are made to survive a drop, busas aren't.
4. You need to practice lifting your busa in low traction conditions. I can deadlift mine and have done it twice alone, but when I dropped it on a wet road it was a bear to lift and I'm close to 300 lbs.
5. Keep some one informed on your progress at all times. They should know when you didn't get where you are supposed to on time,
6. Plan your documentation (camera, dictation, report first thing in the morning, last thing in the evening). This might be a TV quality adventure, certainly worth a for sale DVD
7. You need some sort of tire that will work off road. I don't think sport bike tires are going to make it.
8. Plan on trashing the bike - brakes, plastic, fork seals, chain/sprockets, etc.

Remember that a part of gutting this trip out might be the realization that you are going to have to try again next year (good documentation might get you sponsorship). People who do extreme things aren't lucky, they understand their situation and make good decisions when the rest of us are in a panic!

No matter what happens, I already admire you :thumbsup:

Blanca, that pic is exactly why I will use common sense and if it is rainy or has just rained,I will either wait it out or abort that leg of the trip. It's not do or die to get to the Artic Circle and I certainly am not interested in risking life and limb for bragging rights. Although the more negatives I hear the more determined I am.

I don't believe in guns,I am a guest in thier wilderness,I am a threat to them,I will rely on wits,preparedness and again,common sense, I will be respectful of the land and the inhabitants and wildlife that reside there.

Street tires it will be, but I am going to lower the pressure before I hit the Dempster,helps a little bit anyway. Remember that 98% of my trip will be on pavement, the exceptions being the dempster and Top of the World Highway. So maybe 1000 k at most of gravel....wait, I think that may be a higher percentage than I just stated......LOL.

I have been reading many reports of trip planning,ride reports ect and I was getting anxious about all kinds of things, so now I have just relaxed,not over-plan and over-think this thing, load her up grab my maps and go. Let the adventure unfold as it will,hey, it's not really an adventure until something goes horribly wrong!!

LOL......

Wow that's a long ride and roads not really for a busa, but fallow your heart and what you think is best for you, much prayer to you from me and I know also from the Org family :) looking forward to see them photos :D

I'd love to do that trip someday. I don't think I'd use a sportbike for the trip personally just because it's not really the right tool for the job, but I don't see why you can't make the trip on it if your expectations are reasonable. The biggest pain is going to be cracked plastics and picking the thing up a few times. It's gonna be muddy and rocky.

But you know, I'd never say "You're crazy" or "You can't do that!" You can. You're going to. And I hope to hear all about it when you get back. Have a great trip!

oh yeah, one more thing, don't pick up any hitchhikers :poke:

:laugh:

This all sounds like fun when you're sitting in Cobourg.The dempster highway will chew your tires to bits.1000 km of sharp rocks and the like.If it gets at all wet you will be crawling.Your tires will be ruined 200 clicks into it.My suggestion for maybe an ounce of success is to forward some superior off road tires up to a pickup point near the start of the gravel and be prepared to swap them out at that point.Maybe a set of wider handlebars too.Good luck with it.

WOW Good luck on this trip. I wish I was able to do something like this. be safe and be careful.....as far as the gun it is not necessarily only for wildlife it can be used on the other animals like those of the human persuassion. Good luck. keep us posted.
E

Back