Hello all! Need advice.

id start out on a used katana. you can pick them up cheap. usually around $2500 or so for a nice one.

LOL, I have a very nice 06 750 for sale, but not for that price. Only has 413 miles on her. I really wish I could sell this bike. :banghead:

I will try to make this short. Opinions are like rear ends, everybody has one so IMO get what you want the first time, after you have gone to the MSF course.Case in point. Have a friend who bought a Ninja 250 cause everyone told her to start small. she has not had the bike a good sixty days an she already wants to trade it in for a bigger bike:banghead:. What a waste of time and money.
Point 2: IMO all bikes are equally dangerous when it comes to speed, but the determining factor for that is the individual sitting in the saddle. If you have a reserved nature as you spoke, then you probably wont be acting crazy on any machine that'll get you into trouble which is great. So with that being said get what you want to get the first time, and respect the machine and only ride within the limits of your own abilities!

The BUSA was my first bike purchace, and I am glad I made the decision to get what I wanted the first time, because everytime I meet people like my friend with the Ninja 250, I smile inside myself:laugh: glad that I made the right decision with no regrets or shoulda, coulda, woulda.

+1 on this. If you haven't really ridden much at all you need to start with a bike that you can drop. It's almost inevitable that its going to happen, so why not to a used Katana or old SV? That brand new 6R is going to really sting you in the wallet and heart when its sitting in your garage with a busted fairing/mirror/etc.

Get a beater for a few months....make sure you are committed to taking up the sport before you dump $8k into a bike. Resale value on those starter bikes is pretty good....use it until summer, then sell it and buy that 6R...or Busa :thumbsup:

+1 Yup_ beat on a used bike. Dropping a really nice/new bike is sickning.

If you have no seat time riding at all you might consider spending about 3-6 months in the dirt or just riding trails with a real cheap starter This kind of seat time with prove to be quite valuble to get all the basic skills down in a safer place than traffic. Even getting off the bike in a crash (correctly) is a bit of a skill or to have some 'moments' in a safe place like a grassy field. IMO, my years of off-road, has help me too many times to count. Growing up in northern IN, I spent a lot of time in the sand dunes,which is quite gritty & doesn't taste good but made for some soft landings just a thought. Good Luck either way and hope you enjoy you time riding. :thumbsup: Remember the gear:rulez: nothing better than getting up from a get off and going home instead of the ER

Get your permit... take the rider course... Sit on more bikes than just Kawi's...
You might find Honda's, Gixxer's, or even Yamaha's are better for you. DO NOT get a brand new bike as your 1st bike. As far as it being 2much for you... it's only as fast as your twist it... The 08 Suzuki GSXR and maybe older have the A, B, and C mode that detunes your bike so you can learn at a progression.

P.S. My 1st bike is the Busa I own now, and wouldn't have it anyother way. Had it a year and I'm 29.

You've been researching for a year or more... I'm sure you have read every "how to get started motorcycle riding" article out there. You already know the right/smart way to get started. There are no guarantee's that you won't get severely injured or kill yourself no matter what bike you start on. But if you're looking for encouragement, approval or concurrence that starting on a supersport including a 6oo cc race replica is OK you'll find it here. You can also find many threads describing the actual events that lend credence to the idea that supersports are a poor choice for riders with zero seat time.

You have no riding experience - Perhaps you should start a new thread and ask why there are so many used supersports on e-bay with less than 5 k and/or "in perfect running condition with a little road rash".

Good luck with what ever decision you make!

Last edited:
Before you say anything, I am long past my speed demon years, I have been there and done that. You wont find me going above the speed limit nor will you find me passing people up on the freeway.

That will change the minute you get a fast bike and begin to feel comfortable with it.

Anyway, you're eventually wanting to end up on a 'Busa, right? I find it hard to believe that anyone could regularly ride one of these, or any other fast sport bike, and not exceed the speed limit. It's just fundamentally incompatible with the nature of these machines and human willpower. :laugh:

I couldn't recommend a 'busa as a first bike. No way. It's too big and heavy (and I'm 6'2'', 215 lbs.). Can it be done? Of course.

Keep in mind you're never going to see a thread here titled "I dropped my 'busa and caused $2500 in damage...it's my first bike!" Those who are unsuccessful in their attempts to learn to ride on a 'busa are not going to admit it.

Riding on the street, you just never know what type of challenge is going to be thrown at you on any given ride.

I also am of the opinion that you should look for something used, around 500-650cc, that is a more standard type of motorcycle with little or no bodywork. That way it'll be cheaper to repair if you drop it (which there's a reasonably good chance you will)...plus you won't feel so bad if you damage a motorcycle you don't have a lot of cash in...and one that isn't your dream bike.

Ride this bike for a year or so, then decide whether you want to upgrade. You'll lose next to nothing in depreciation if you follow this path, and if you buy right and sell at the right time of the season you might even make money doing this.

Best wishes, and :welcome: .

My first bike only cost me a couple cans of carb cleaner. It had been sitting in this guys yard for years and his wife was tired of looking at it. It was a 1984 Kawasaki 350 LTD (if I remember correctly). It needed the carbs cleaned up and it ran, barely. The tires were bald and nothing on it worked very well. It would die for no apparent reason sometimes, but it ran most of the time. Sixty MPH seemed like the world was coming to an end, but I didn't ride it that fast. I mostly rode it on desolate roads, with no traffic. I dropped it several times, usually practicing U-turns on narrow roads. I didn't have that bike long, I only put a couple tanks of gas through it.

Then I bought a 1200 Bandit. It scared the hell out of me, I couldn't imagine a bike being faster than that bike was. I rode it for a couple years, and in that time mastered it. I thought that bike was so fast that when I moved up to a Busa, I was mainly doing so for the look of the bike. In all of my infinite wisdom, I thought the busa couldn't be noticeably faster than my bandit. I was wrong.

I think it's a bit pointless to buy the slowest bike known to man in order to learn, but it is dangerous to buy the fastest. There are many bikes in the middle that don't have the problem of being boring after the first hour of ownership. I think everyone thinks the best way to learn was the way they did it, and I am no exception. I was happy with my bike at every stage, and never did any damage to an expensive bike because of the mishaps I had. Every time I ever put a bike on the ground, it was because of inexperience. I may drop my busa today, but it won't be because of inexperience.

Back