Hello all! Need advice.

Carbonite

Registered
EDIT: Wow, didnt realize this was that long. I hope someone will take the time to read it and give me some helpful advice. Sorry its so long.

Hello everyone, I joined last year some time while I was researching bikes.
One day I want to end up on a Hayabusa, but currently I have no experience riding.
This has been going on for me for a long time.
"This year I am going to get a bike." Then I dont get one.
"OK, this year I am going to get a bike." Then I dont get one.

Well, this coming year I am going to turn 30, and if I dont get a bike, I think I may never get one. So I am getting a bike no matter what.

The advice I get from people is always different and so I will tell you where I am at now and seek your advice.

When I was first looking to get into riding, I was always pointed towards the Ninja 250 as a good all around starter bike. However, I was told by many others this year that the 250 is a good starter bike, but since I will need it for freeway riding I will be riding it at hight RPM's a lot.

Anyways, long story short, I am told by most, that given my height, weight and age, that a 600 will not be a problem for me.
And so I started looking at the Ninja 600R as my first bike.

And now I run into a big decision.

Since I have been looking at the 600R I have run across a lot of Ninja ZX 6R's and I love them. I love the look, and the feel when I sit on them is more comfortable than sitting on a 600R to me.
Also, on the 08 model the exhaust comes out above the rear tire, something that I love. They started putting the exhaust on the side of the bike in 09 and that continues into the 2010 models.
So I looked them up on my local dealers site and wouldnt you know it, I can get a "BRAND NEW" 2008 Ninja ZX 6R for LESS than brand new Ninja 600R.

So where is my problem? I am getting mixed advice for this decision.
600cc wont be a problem for me on a non supersport but supersport will be to much and the other side says, given my age, height and weight the supersport 600 is not going to be a problem.

Before you say anything, I am long past my speed demon years, I have been there and done that. You wont find me going above the speed limit nor will you find me passing people up on the freeway. Mostly I will ride the bike to and from work, and going on rides with others I know that own bikes on weekends and such.
Given my maturity level and the fact that I wont be trying to kill myself, (I have a family to take care of.) what do you guys think about me getting a Ninja ZX 6R as my first bike?

I really hope it wont be a problem though, because for one, it feels right when I sit on them compared to the 600R. Two, I can get one for cheaper than a 600R.
We are talking 7299 for a brand new ZX 6R. I almost feel like I should buy it and get a junker to learn on if people think that the ZX 6R is to much for me to start on. ROFL

Also, if anybody has any thoughts on the 08 ZX 6R as compared to the 09 and 10 models, I would love to hear it. The only reasons I like the 08 over them is the price and the exhaust, and both of those I can shrug off if its truly better to have the newer model.

Anyways, I look forward to your thoughts, and thanks in advance for them.

Last edited:
I would take into consideration what you said. If you are riding too and from work and just want to ride with people, get something that is comfortable and that you can ride for more than an hour. The zx6 for me is too small physically to be comfortable for more than an hour or so. If you ultimately want a Busa and are mature as you say, just do it. There are many very good used ones for sale at the same price point as the 6 and you will have a much more versatile bike. just my .02. Good luck with your decision.

If I were in your shoes, I would not buy new, I see you are in MI. and your riding season is almost over. During the off season I would be looking for a used bike, take someone with you that has motorcycle experience, and don't limit yourself to a specific bike, sv650 is a great starter bike, take a motorcycle safety course, ride a while see if you like it and upgrade from there...and :welcome:

Hello everyone, I joined last year some time while I was researching bikes.
One day I want to end up on a Hayabusa, but currently I have no experience riding.
This has been going on for me for a long time.
This is THE most important sentence in your post!! Someday you should end up on a 'Busa or a ZX6R, but IMHO, NOT yet... not with no riding experience at all.

You say this has been going on a long time. Well, we'd ALL like to see you in the biking community for a long time, and with zero riding experience, you seriously need to learn to ride well enough to handle a Busa, or even a ZX6R. A ZX6R is NO SLOUCH, and can easily throw you on your head if you're not careful... most will tell you that ANY hardcore sportbike (even 600's) are NOT for beginners. 600's tend to have RAZOR sharp handling, and very peaky, very strong powerbands that come up rather suddenly, which equates to unexpected wheelstands, low siding, high siding, and all other manner of ugliness... NOT something a beginner can handle or needs to worry about.

I KNOW (trust me) that you dont want to start out on something docile like a small cruiser (like a Honda Nighthawk, or some such bike), but in the long run, you'll SAFELY gain the skills you need to handle a real sportbike... in the space of a year, you'd be ready to change to what you really want.
There are a LOT of basic skills that need to be learned to be able to confidently ride ANY bike, but especially something like a big sportbike.

Something to learn on should not be big, it should be a used bike, and bought for short money, so when you're more confident, it can be sold to someone that needs a bike like that, and you dont lose your shirt in the sale.
THEN you can start thinking about 600's, 750's or a 'Busa.

Im just sayin', bro... we wanna keep you around a LONG time, and hardcore sportys... bikes like ZX6R's, 'Busa'a, ZX14's, ZX12R's "doth not suffer fools lightly", if you understand... meaning one mistake that MOST of us (God willing) could potentially correct, can potentially kill a beginner.
That IS the brutal truth.
:rulez:

I wish you luck in your decision.

(Welcome to the forum, BTW!!)
:welcome:

You asked for my advice, so here it is. You have no business on a sport bike with zero experience. I'm sure I'll get flamed for that by the folks who started out on a sport bike. Yes it can be done, but you'll become a better rider learning to ride a slower bike faster than riding a faster bike slower. Dropping a sport bike is far more expensive to repair than dropping a standard. Start out on a SV650, ER-6N, FZ6 or something similar.

Take the MSF Basic Rider Course then start looking for a bike. Once you start looking take into account what feels good as much as what looks good. Most importantly be comfortable on the bike. Keep in mind that you can adjust almost every bike to some extent to make it more comfortable. When you consider the cost, factor in a good helmet, Jacket, Boots and Gloves as a minimum. You probably should also think about riding pants as well.

This is just a quick guess:

Helmet: $250.00
Jacket: $150.00
Boots: $100.00
Gloves: $35.00
Pants: $100.00

You can always find good deals on gear if you take the time to look around. I recommend going to someplace with lots of gear, try a bunch of stuff on for fit, then start searching on-line for the best deal.

get a ninja 250 they are 3800 brand new:laugh:
screw it get the busa, but buy used and get some frame sliders or a cage

Before you say anything, I am long past my speed demon years, I have been there and done that. You wont find me going above the speed limit nor will you find me passing people up on the freeway.

:rofl:

Now that is some funny sh!tz right there, I don't care who you are! :rofl:

Oh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if that statement is true???????????????? Save yourself some money and buy a Vespa. The Vespa has half a busa engine and it will do everything you have in mind! :beerchug:

You asked for my advice, so here it is. You have no business on a sport bike with zero experience. I'm sure I'll get flamed for that by the folks who started out on a sport bike. Yes it can be done, but you'll become a better rider learning to ride a slower bike faster than riding a faster bike slower. Dropping a sport bike is far more expensive to repair than dropping a standard. Start out on a SV650, ER-6N, FZ6 or something similar.

I have to agree. I just got my license in May and started on a '95 1200 Sportser. Gently laid it down three times. Only damage was a broken clutch lever. Now that I've been riding 6 months I finally got on the Busa and having those basic skills really helped. I've also found that being able to handle a bike that doesn't handle well (don't let the name Sportster fool you) really helped improve my skills. Hopefully next Spring I'll be on my own Busa. With all of that being said, whatever you choose...ATGATT!

hahahah I am 56 years old and have not passed the speed Demon. Most likely I never will. I stopped after hitting 220mph. I sold my Busa hopfully to get better in my health. I look forward in the future before I die to hit 300mph in something on land.

Now back to your question. You need to try different bike out for you. What feels good. you can actually get into more trouble on a 600 then many other bikes including a Busa. It depends on you and the crowd you may ride with. A 600 is very powerful and very light. NOT A GOOD STARTER.

Best would be a mid weight used cruiser like a Katana or like.

Oh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if that statement is true???????????????? Save yourself some money and buy a Vespa. The Vespa has half a busa engine and it will do everything you have in mind! :beerchug:

Welcome!

:welcome:

IMO if you are concerned, there is cause for concern.
Lots of guys start out big and they are cautious, but they have made up their own mind and adjust themselves to that situation.
My guess, you would be more confident on a smaller bike first.

For a BIG bike with loads of torque but which is manageable by a mature beginner, try a Yam XJR 1300, mine was great! I expect the Suzuki GSX 1400 is similar, but don't get a Busa just yet.

Tru dat :laugh:

My dealer has a brand new zero miles 2009 GSX650F for $3999 on the floor. They can ship anywhere. A sport bike sitting position is not a good comfy ride. The 650F is much more comfortable. Anyway, get what you want and don't worry about dropping it. Seems everyone drops a bike now and then. Scratches of pride!

Get a new or used Busa, buy a full set of gear, take an MSF course, and use all that maturity that you can muster.

id start out on a used katana. you can pick them up cheap. usually around $2500 or so for a nice one.

+1 on this. If you haven't really ridden much at all you need to start with a bike that you can drop. It's almost inevitable that its going to happen, so why not to a used Katana or old SV? That brand new 6R is going to really sting you in the wallet and heart when its sitting in your garage with a busted fairing/mirror/etc.

Get a beater for a few months....make sure you are committed to taking up the sport before you dump $8k into a bike. Resale value on those starter bikes is pretty good....use it until summer, then sell it and buy that 6R...or Busa :thumbsup:

Get a beater!!!:thumbsup: learn to balance and all thats with its basics of bieng on two wheels, after that, get the busa!!!!! i know a few people who got busas sa thier first bike, no problems, its you not the bike, a 500cc bike, even a 250cc bike can hurt you as much as a 1300 if you dont know what you are doing or act without thinking...get a beater wring the heck out of it then upgrade

Back