Going to look at a Bandit today...thoughts?

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
So I have been looking at more up-right naked-ish bikes lately, discarded the V-strom already,yeech, test rode a CBF 1000, ( you guys didin't get those) narrowed it down to a FZ 1 or a Bandit,actually prolly leaning towards a Bandit.

I love the power of my bike, ( redundent statement) and from what I have read online, the Bandit has a ton of low down torque for the "oomph" I am looking for in the low gears.

It's no lightweight I realize, but like the CBF, perhap's it will " feel" lighter than it's weight.I was suprised that the CBF was rated at 530 lbs, cause, it sure didn't feel it.

I almost ran the damn bike into the curb on the test ride, I am so used to "working" to get the bike around the corner, this bike turned in a t the thought. It was fun!

Discounted the FZ, I was looking at that because it has the "beans" I am looking for, but it's too sporty, thats not what I am looking for. I want more of a " do all upright" bike,

After riding the twisties for 5 days straight in WV,minimum of 6 hours of curves and corners a day, I was almost ready to run myself into an abutment. The last three days I was living on Tylenol for arthritis and the last road on the last day,I needed help getting my gloves and helmet off, I couldn't make my hands work at all.

So if you have any opinions on the Bandit, let me know...looking at ones in the 2002 to 2006 range.

Bandit is a nice bike, but not very popular. Not many around. It is an old school design, not popular in the US.

You will miss the Busa, once you have ridden a Bandit for a while.

I know for your size, the Busa is a bit heavy once your feet are on the ground, but you should not have to fight the bike in the twisties. The right input on the bars and the Busa will lean down a long ways with no effort whatsover.

Personally, I would rather be on a 600 than a Bandit, faster and nice and light.

Bandit is a nice bike, but not very popular. Not many around. It is an old school design, not popular in the US.

You will miss the Busa, once you have ridden a Bandit for a while.I know for your size, the Busa is a bit heavy once your feet are on the ground, but you should not have to fight the bike in the twisties. The right input on the bars and the Busa will lean down a long ways with no effort whatsover.

Personally, I would rather be on a 600 than a Bandit, faster and nice and light.

Agree

I used to have one before the Busa. No as good in the corners and nowhere near the same power. Old engine design. do yourself a favour and drop you pegs and maybe get some bar risers. You will miss the Busa

I know for your size, the Busa is a bit heavy once your feet are on the ground, but you should not have to fight the bike in the twisties. The right input on the bars and the Busa will lean down a long ways with no effort whatsover.

Oh believe me, I am pushing and pulling those bars through the corners, countersteering, whazzup ! And I have a 600 already, NOT great for touring, been there done that.....and.....I have bar risers AND Heli-bars on already!!! I had to shave the screen already....

Hey, did I say that I was getting rid of the busa!!!!! Give your heads a shake people!!! Well, yet anyway.....

The naked/standard type bikes are much more popular in Europe. Americans are into more show and shine than pracitcallity. I don't even wash my bike that often, I ride,ride ride....washing takes time away from riding. :laugh:

And I have to take into account I am asking about a bike that is NOT a busa on a busa site.....:whistle:

Oh believe me, I am pushing and pulling those bars through the corners, countersteering, whazzup ! And I have a 600 already, NOT great for touring, been there done that.....and.....I have bar risers AND Heli-bars on already!!! I had to shave the screen already....

Hey, did I say that I was getting rid of the busa!!!!! Give your heads a shake people!!! Well, yet anyway.....

OK, so you will keep the Busa and you already have a 600, now you want to go touring on a naked bike?

I have heard only great things from people that own Bandits! Yes, They have great amounts of torque at low end (one of the things I miss from the VMAX)
I have nothing nice to say about Yamaha nor do anyone of my friends that has owned them. SUZUKI all the way!!!:thumbsup:

Have you considered a hypermotard? My buddy picked up the ~1000cc Ducati for less than $9000 otd, and loves it.

I would like to get away from tons of plastics.....less washing...you know....:whistle: Also would like a bike I can maybe throw on a set of semi-knobbies or something for winter riding.

They are re-designing the Vstrom for 2012, might want to wait to see if that floats your boat or not. Supposedly a complete rethinking of it.
They sell the crap outta those things, they can't be all that bad. The looks grow on ya.

Torque Monster!

If you've never ridden one, you wouldn't know!

Shnizzle, looks like you want a 1200. This beast can do it all! Put some Givi Bags on it and tour forever comfortability.

I have an 09 1250S. I take it canyon carving all the time. It's nice to sit upright and have the low end power when needed. I take 300-400 mile day trips from time to time and have no issues with soreness. This bike gets 10 more MPG than my Busa. It's nice to have choices and I'm glad I have both.

By the way, before I bought the Bandit, I too was torn between the it and the FZ1. My mind was made up due to low end torque and suzuki's power plant/transmission.

They are re-designing the Vstrom for 2012, might want to wait to see if that floats your boat or not. Supposedly a complete rethinking of it.
They sell the crap outta those things, they can't be all that bad. The looks grow on ya.

I guess looks are very subjective, my "Girl FRIEND", not my wife, has one
(2011 650)and it's one of the funkiest, ugliest, looking bikes I have ever seen, totally impracticle for street or dirt, however, I heard that they do well on the savanah :rofl:

Now, remember, 'what is said at the .org, stays at the .org' right?

Get a GSXR1000 (01 to present, whatever you find a good deal on, the 01/02 are very comfortable stock too) feels about the same as a 600, only with lots of power. Get a seat and upright handlebar kit with brake/clutch lines(dirtbike style top clamp and bars,). You can put luggage on it and ride a lightweight and very comfortable bike with plenty of power, and you won't miss your Busa nearly as much. Add a +3 rear sprocket to give the feel of more torque while only raising rpm's by around 400, and not really affecting gas mileage cruising on the highway. Parts are cheaper and easier to find, as well as a much bigger aftermarket than a Bandit.
That or a dual sport, and BMW makes the only ones of those that are actually comfortable.

Back