Going to look at a Bandit today...thoughts?

I guess looks are very subjective, my "Girl FRIEND", not my wife, has one
(2011 650)and it's one of the funkiest, ugliest, looking bikes I have ever seen, totally impracticle for street or dirt, however, I heard that they do well on the savanah :rofl:

Now, remember, 'what is said at the .org, stays at the .org' right?

I did some dirt roads in Tennessee recently with the bike pictured below. Got two V-Stroms amongst others, most of the other bikes pulled aside on this canyon carving dirt road to let me go past, but the V-Stroms tried to hang in there. First exit from a turn I lost them both and one turn 1/4 mile later I could not even see them in my mirrors. Later we got back on paved road and I stopped for a soda, they both came past. Back on the Husky I headed to the next set of unpaved roads and this time it was a bit muddy with a few puddles. Both the V-Strom riders were walking next to their bikes on the throttle this time, while I went flying past. :laugh:

Husky 004E.jpg

Husky 004E.jpg

Get whatever is the most comfortable! Your looking to buy a comfy bike, so get a real comfy bike. Don't worry about power and other useless stuff riding at the speed limit. You have your Busa for speed and a comfy bike for long trips. What more could you ask for? You could trade off that 600 so you only have two bikes to keep clean instead of three!:thumbsup:

I did some dirt roads in Tennessee recently with the bike pictured below. Got two V-Stroms amongst others, most of the other bikes pulled aside on this canyon carving dirt road to let me go past, but the V-Stroms tried to hang in there. First exit from a turn I lost them both and one turn 1/4 mile later I could not even see them in my mirrors. Later we got back on paved road and I stopped for a soda, they both came past. Back on the Husky I headed to the next set of unpaved roads and this time it was a bit muddy with a few puddles. Both the V-Strom riders were walking next to their bikes on the throttle this time, while I went flying past. :laugh:

View attachment 224310

Apples to oranges there really. The V-stroms have street tires. :banghead:
She wants a sporty tourer/partially naked if not fully naked bike, not an enduro or dirt bike. V-stroms aren't even marketed as adventure-tourers, are they?

Plus I kinda dig the way they look. Alot of people think the 'busa is the ugliest bike made, just sayin'.... :beerchug:

By the way, I'm a fan of the Bandits, sorry to get off course there please forgive me, for I know not what I do.. :whistle:

I have a 98 1200 Bandit w/63,000 miles, a 2001 Bandit w/57,000 miles, a 2008 Yamaha FZ1 w/36,000 miles, a 2006 Hayabusa w/45,000 miles. I might be able to help you out here. Don't let anyone fool you, a Bandit works just fine at any pace up to 7/10ths bone stock. If you put a slip on and rejet the carbs it will accelerat with any normal street bike up to 100 mph, and in a top gear roll on it will smoke most bikes, including everyone's beloved Hayabusa (unless gearing changes are made). I actually really like my Bandits and wouldn't hesitate to refer others to them. I've had both of mine out for track days and embarrased more than a few people that think they are fast on their sport bikes. The FZ1 handles better and has a more solid feel to it, but the engine is not as nice. It's like riding a fast 750 w/a little more meat in the mid range, but nothing close to the Bandit. Up until I bought the Busa my Bandits were my favorite bikes ever (over multiple GSXR's, CBR's, CBF's, ZX10,TLR,R1's,). If I coud only keep one bike, it would be the Hayabusa, but I have to say if all I had was the Bandit I would still be perfectly happy.

As a side note, the motors in the Bandits are extremely tough. My 98 has a 1216 kit, yosh cams, mild head work and is an absolutely amazing bike to ride with over 40,000 trouble free miles since the build. An that includes a lot of 2 up riding.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. As long as it's on 2 wheels you are making the right choice.

I have a 98 1200 Bandit w/63,000 miles, a 2001 Bandit w/57,000 miles, a 2008 Yamaha FZ1 w/36,000 miles, a 2006 Hayabusa w/45,000 miles. I might be able to help you out here. Don't let anyone fool you, a Bandit works just fine at any pace up to 7/10ths bone stock. If you put a slip on and rejet the carbs it will accelerat with any normal street bike up to 100 mph, and in a top gear roll on it will smoke most bikes, including everyone's beloved Hayabusa (unless gearing changes are made). I actually really like my Bandits and wouldn't hesitate to refer others to them. I've had both of mine out for track days and embarrased more than a few people that think they are fast on their sport bikes. The FZ1 handles better and has a more solid feel to it, but the engine is not as nice. It's like riding a fast 750 w/a little more meat in the mid range, but nothing close to the Bandit. Up until I bought the Busa my Bandits were my favorite bikes ever (over multiple GSXR's, CBR's, CBF's, ZX10,TLR,R1's,). If I coud only keep one bike, it would be the Hayabusa, but I have to say if all I had was the Bandit I would still be perfectly happy.

As a side note, the motors in the Bandits are extremely tough. My 98 has a 1216 kit, yosh cams, mild head work and is an absolutely amazing bike to ride with over 40,000 trouble free miles since the build. An that includes a lot of 2 up riding.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. As long as it's on 2 wheels you are making the right choice.

She is complaining about fighting the Busa in twisties. You think the Bandit will do twisties easier?

I have an 07 Bandit 1250S with ~15,000 miles on it. Its a fun bike to ride in the twisties. If I were going to do any kind of distances on it, I would need to do something about the factory log...err..I mean seat. You should be able to pick one up in good shape for $4000-$4500.

As long as you are not riding at the limit the Bandit will feel a lot easier to ride in the canyons simply because of the ergonomics. Sitting upright with a wide bar will help it to be a lot more manageable. I have pushed both of my Bandits at the track with stock and modified suspension and they hold up really well. The forks are a little soft, so if you get hamfisted with the throttle or if you brake ubruptly it will upset the chassis, but if you ride it within it's limits (which is still really fast) it will be a fun bike to ride. The Hayabusa, as with most sport bikes, hold their composure even at elavated paces whereas the suspension needs to be reworked on the Bandit for that. The 2001+ generation has more ground clearance than the first generation as well. The only people I have had trouble staying with in the canyons are the real loonies who are riding past the safety limits of the road anyhow. As I have aged I have come to appreciate riding a pace that is fun but still within the safety limits of the road, which means the Bandit (or any bike for that matter) never feels out of it's element. Even my die hard sportbike friends ask to ride it when we go for long rides in the canyons just because it handles well, is super comfortable and in general is just a fun, unassuming bike to ride.

I'm gonna throw something else in for consideration... This is the new 800cc V4 Honda Crossrunner.

2011_honda_crossrunner_01.jpg

I would like to get away from tons of plastics.....less washing...you know....:whistle: Also would like a bike I can maybe throw on a set of semi-knobbies or something for winter riding.

if you want a winter bike, get one of them urals with the driven sidecar... theres a guy in my city that rides one year round... and we get minus 40 winters and 3-5 feet of snow

As long as you are not riding at the limit the Bandit will feel a lot easier to ride in the canyons simply because of the ergonomics. Sitting upright with a wide bar will help it to be a lot more manageable. I have pushed both of my Bandits at the track with stock and modified suspension and they hold up really well. The forks are a little soft, so if you get hamfisted with the throttle or if you brake ubruptly it will upset the chassis, but if you ride it within it's limits (which is still really fast) it will be a fun bike to ride. The Hayabusa, as with most sport bikes, hold their composure even at elavated paces whereas the suspension needs to be reworked on the Bandit for that. The 2001+ generation has more ground clearance than the first generation as well. The only people I have had trouble staying with in the canyons are the real loonies who are riding past the safety limits of the road anyhow. As I have aged I have come to appreciate riding a pace that is fun but still within the safety limits of the road, which means the Bandit (or any bike for that matter) never feels out of it's element. Even my die hard sportbike friends ask to ride it when we go for long rides in the canyons just because it handles well, is super comfortable and in general is just a fun, unassuming bike to ride.

Thanks for the valuable advice, Bandit. I did go and look at a 06 1200 today, bone stock, except for 3 really nice Givi bags with rack of course. 2 36's and a 46 topbox. 27,500 kilometeres, asking $5000. The bike is very,very clean with original owner.

Now....I took it off the kickstand and tried to roll it around on the driveway and, holy, I had a really hard time pushing it. It is heavy. I was talkng to someone who has ridden one and he said it doesn't turn. ?????

I have a friend who is insisting I ride his second gen FZ 1.

Anyway, I almost didn't want to get off the Bandit, the seating was so comfy.

Bandit, care to pm me your number, may I give you a call?

Thanks for the valuable advice, Bandit. I did go and look at a 06 1200 today, bone stock, except for 3 really nice Givi bags with rack of course. 2 36's and a 46 topbox. 27,500 kilometeres, asking $5000. The bike is very,very clean with original owner.

Now....I took it off the kickstand and tried to roll it around on the driveway and, holy, I had a really hard time pushing it. It is heavy. I was talkng to someone who has ridden one and he said it doesn't turn. ?????

I have a friend who is insisting I ride his second gen FZ 1.

Anyway, I almost didn't want to get off the Bandit, the seating was so comfy.

Bandit, care to pm me your number, may I give you a call?

The Bandit doesn't turn same as the Busa doesn't turn. The Bandit feels lighter than the Busa at speed. As you noticed pushing it, its actually heavier.

Have you heard of that new bike comeing out this year... Extreemly light ( only about 140lbs wet) loves the corners... Strong delivery.. brakes have a little to be desired. ist a new american brand called the "colton" they recomened ride them hard!!! Ackward horn sound though... Almost sounds like a imbreed "sweet!" lol:laugh:

I would suggest that you take a B King out for a ride. (one description of it was Bandit King) Busa Drive train in incredibly comfortable platform. I own and love one , but will acknowledge it is perhaps the ugliest motorcycle ever produce. Until you are setting on it and flick your right wrist. The are available new on the showroom floor for $8200 here in the US. Ceck one out before you part with your cash.

That Honda looks cool. Lightweighting further a Zuk Gladius is a nice bike also, think it suits the girly rider.

If nothing else works, how about one of these?

Pink_scooter.jpg

Pink_scooter.jpg

The bandit is a real nice bike , it will do anything you want . I don't know about the looks , but my buddies is a solid bike that runs wuth the best of them

Back