I need your support and advice Orgsters.....and my confession....

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
As some of you may know,I am planning my trip up to alaska/NWT and Yukon. I am riding solo and camping all the way there and back,leaving on or about June 6. I should be back by the end of June. Everyone told me I was crazy to ride a busa up there as I will be attempting to get to the Artic circle up the dempster Highway,infamous for eating riders alive and spitting out thier humiliated and bruised egos.

So,I bought an " adventure" bike, a CBF 1000. My bf started modding it for me,different racks installed,lowered,kickstand,windscreen ect.ect. Being an adventure bike it sat pretty high with it's weight carried high something I am not terribly comfortable with. Even lowered it was still a bit tippy for me. It was a struggle to push the bike around and since I have torn my rotator cuff,painful.

Being a Honda, my BF was very happy sussing out mods ect. He does NOT like my suzy. No matter though.

Anyway,I have had many a wonderful touring trip on my busa,its all set up for this and I am very comfortable on her. I really liked the CBF but as the date started to get closer I was not pumped about this epic trip. I think I even started to dread the departure date. Why? I think because I didn't want to go on the CBF,but on the busa.

Something I am comfortable on,know what to expect and can move around a bit easier. Also, lets be honest here, I don't live at a pay scale that affords 2 bikes. So with a extremley heavy heart, I put the busa up for sale. I had lots of interest and had a lovely young man come over and really wanted it.

But while we ere in the driveway and I was extolling the virtues of my bike and some of the great times I have had on it, I started to cry,it was quite embarassing. We left it that he would check out insurance and get back to me. I was getting more and more depressed and started to ignore the emails coming in for the bike.

I finally just sat and tried to organize my thoughts feelings and emotions. I realized that I was taking the CBF to please my BF who had been putting money and many hours of work into the CBF and I was feeling guilty and beholden to him for his hard work. And I capitulated to all of those who declared with conviction that I couldn't make it to the Artic circle on a busa,I was crazy to try.

I made my choice after much thought and I removed the ad for the busa,put the adventure bike up for sale, and now I can't wait to go. From much experience, I know how fantastic my busa isto tour on from the vibe free bars to the super comfortable stock seat and the endless effortless power and the relaxing low hum of the engine as it propels me forward in supreme comfort and style.

Will I make it up to my goal on a busa wearing street tires with almost zero dirt skills,don't forget I have 800 kilometeres of dirt/gravel roads to ride to make the epic part of my trip. The Dempster Highway from Dawson City Yukon north to Inuvik is harsh and unforgiving,it does not suffer fools gladly.

I am going to try my very best,nothing will make me prouder of myself than to accomplish this difficult feat on my own on a bike that everyone says is terribly ill suited for the task at hand. Yes, its epic enough that i just do this ride on my own,over 3 weeks riding and camping on the road in the north.

But to tackle the Dempster will be the pinnacle. Now, as badly as I want this,if the weather conditions are such that it will be too dangerous and risky to attempt,then I will not, since I will be alone, I have no one to look out for me or pick up the pieces if I crash,I will have to be satisfied with completing my journey as it stands.

What I would hope from my org brothers and sisters.....support ,that I am NOT crazy to do this, I am MORE than aware there are better bikes out there for his type of riding,but anybody can do it on a KLR or a Beemer,with aluminum side cases ,knobby tires, GPS,Spot trackers,full tool kits and the knowledge to tear down thier bikes at the side of the road, in my mind it kinda takes the challenge and. yes, risk, out of the whole equation.

What I hope from the orgsters......words of support. I don't want to hear that i am going to die up there( yes, someone said that to me) this is ridiculous,foolhardy an impossible task. Just tell me I can do it. I am determined and sometimes resourceful....lol, and I can do nothing more than my very best with grit and luck on my side.

I will also ask for any and all suggestions on how I can protect my rad and oil cooler and some sort of plastic covering or protection for my plastics on the way up the Dempster,the flying rocks for trucks can seriously damage a bike. These mods must be clever and inexpensive,as I have sold alot of my belongings to pay for this trip.

If this all works out I will post my smiling mug in front of the artic circle sign in several weeks.....Cheers!!!!

You go girl. You can do anything you set your mind too, just make sure to pack well. The make rock guards to protect the radiator and oil cooler. You can get the set for like $100 or so..

i for one am positive you will do great laurie...and ill be cheering you on and cant wait to hear the storys you will tell at the Haya's in the Hills... wait...with this mean you get the "furthest traveled" award??? :laugh:

There's no way I'd make a trip like that on a bike that I weren't completely comfortable with. Do what feels right. :thumbsup:

You go girl. You can do anything you set your mind too, just make sure to pack well. The make rock guards to protect the radiator and oil cooler. You can get the set for like $100 or so..

I have a set of those from Cox Racing that were on my Busa for about 2 weeks before I traded it. Radiator and oil cooler guards in anodized silver. Let me know if you're interested. :beerchug:

Your crazy but I still think you can do it.
I mean after all a sane person would wake up and go to work sitting under fluorescent lights their entire lives never taking risks and be safe in their little cubicles.

A crazy person would say F it I'm going :laugh:
I wish you all the luck and look forward to pics from this epic journey.

I don't know what route you're taking but if you're passing through Brandon, Mb I have an extra bed you can crash on.

As some of you may know,I am planning my trip up to alaska/NWT and Yukon. I am riding solo and camping all the way there and back,leaving on or about June 6. I should be back by the end of June. Everyone told me I was crazy to ride a busa up there as I will be attempting to get to the Artic circle up the dempster Highway,infamous for eating riders alive and spitting out thier humiliated and bruised egos.

So,I bought an " adventure" bike, a CBF 1000. My bf started modding it for me,different racks installed,lowered,kickstand,windscreen ect.ect. Being an adventure bike it sat pretty high with it's weight carried high something I am not terribly comfortable with. Even lowered it was still a bit tippy for me. It was a struggle to push the bike around and since I have torn my rotator cuff,painful.

Being a Honda, my BF was very happy sussing out mods ect. He does NOT like my suzy. No matter though.

Anyway,I have had many a wonderful touring trip on my busa,its all set up for this and I am very comfortable on her. I really liked the CBF but as the date started to get closer I was not pumped about this epic trip. I think I even started to dread the departure date. Why? I think because I didn't want to go on the CBF,but on the busa.

Something I am comfortable on,know what to expect and can move around a bit easier. Also, lets be honest here, I don't live at a pay scale that affords 2 bikes. So with a extremley heavy heart, I put the busa up for sale. I had lots of interest and had a lovely young man come over and really wanted it.

But while we ere in the driveway and I was extolling the virtues of my bike and some of the great times I have had on it, I started to cry,it was quite embarassing. We left it that he would check out insurance and get back to me. I was getting more and more depressed and started to ignore the emails coming in for the bike.

I finally just sat and tried to organize my thoughts feelings and emotions. I realized that I was taking the CBF to please my BF who had been putting money and many hours of work into the CBF and I was feeling guilty and beholden to him for his hard work. And I capitulated to all of those who declared with conviction that I couldn't make it to the Artic circle on a busa,I was crazy to try.

I made my choice after much thought and I removed the ad for the busa,put the adventure bike up for sale, and now I can't wait to go. From much experience, I know how fantastic my busa isto tour on from the vibe free bars to the super comfortable stock seat and the endless effortless power and the relaxing low hum of the engine as it propels me forward in supreme comfort and style.

Will I make it up to my goal on a busa wearing street tires with almost zero dirt skills,don't forget I have 800 kilometeres of dirt/gravel roads to ride to make the epic part of my trip. The Dempster Highway from Dawson City Yukon north to Inuvik is harsh and unforgiving,it does not suffer fools gladly.

I am going to try my very best,nothing will make me prouder of myself than to accomplish this difficult feat on my own on a bike that everyone says is terribly ill suited for the task at hand. Yes, its epic enough that i just do this ride on my own,over 3 weeks riding and camping on the road in the north.

But to tackle the Dempster will be the pinnacle. Now, as badly as I want this,if the weather conditions are such that it will be too dangerous and risky to attempt,then I will not, since I will be alone, I have no one to look out for me or pick up the pieces if I crash,I will have to be satisfied with completing my journey as it stands.

What I would hope from my org brothers and sisters.....support ,that I am NOT crazy to do this, I am MORE than aware there are better bikes out there for his type of riding,but anybody can do it on a KLR or a Beemer,with aluminum side cases ,knobby tires, GPS,Spot trackers,full tool kits and the knowledge to tear down thier bikes at the side of the road, in my mind it kinda takes the challenge and. yes, risk, out of the whole equation.

What I hope from the orgsters......words of support. I don't want to hear that i am going to die up there( yes, someone said that to me) this is ridiculous,foolhardy an impossible task. Just tell me I can do it. I am determined and sometimes resourceful....lol, and I can do nothing more than my very best with grit and luck on my side.

I will also ask for any and all suggestions on how I can protect my rad and oil cooler and some sort of plastic covering or protection for my plastics on the way up the Dempster,the flying rocks for trucks can seriously damage a bike. These mods must be clever and inexpensive,as I have sold alot of my belongings to pay for this trip.

If this all works out I will post my smiling mug in front of the artic circle sign in several weeks.....Cheers!!!!
You have to follow your dreams......if not, then whats life really about? I'm married to a lady like you, she's done some amazing things in her life because she followed her dreams, even tho they didn't always seem possible for a lady to do. In fact many of you who follow sports would know her.

She makes me VERY proud :thumbsup:

You have all the spirit you need......you're going to accomplish a dream and enjoy doing it. I'm sure it will be the first of many dreams accomplished :beerchug:

Take your cell phone and if you can't charge it on your Busa then turn it off and only use it if you need help.
That would mean taking a stand alone camera and not using your phone camera.
You wouldn't want to use up the charge on your phone taking pictures and it not be charged enough when your really need it.

I agree with the tire repair kit and a small pump if you can get one.

If your not in a hurry or have a time limit I would say take the time to be safe and ENJOY the ride and views.

And remember success is directly proportional to preparedness.

Duct tape can't hurt either. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Have a Great and Safe trip.

Can't wait to see your pictures and you haven't even left yet. :beerchug::smiley10::clap:

I wish you very much success and luck on your journey. Words of wisdom a co-worked drilled into my head years and year ago "Luck has a funny way of favoring the prepared" Your for sure taking the less traveled road, and nearly the least traveled bike (gotta imagine that's the case, at least on that road)

:please:GOOD LUCK:thumbsup:

Sounds like one hell of a ride, but a nightmare on a bike you aren't comfortable on, I can't blame you for wanting to use the busa. That said, the small distances on gravel/dirt I've done with mine have not been confidence inspiring.

There's no way I'd make a trip like that on a bike that I weren't completely comfortable with. Do what feels right. :thumbsup:

I have a set of those from Cox Racing that were on my Busa for about 2 weeks before I traded it. Radiator and oil cooler guards in anodized silver. Let me know if you're interested. :beerchug:

I sent a pm but......mine is a 06 think they can be modified to fit?

I have bear bangers,a small knife,folding saw, some emergency dehydrated meals even tho I cook my food on the road,small axe, mini cpmresser,patch kit,2 vise grips, 2 first aid kits, a rotopax fuell cell,rope bungys ect ect

I can't wait to hear of your adventures!! I think most of us here would love the opportunity to take a trip of a lifetime!! Take a ton of pics and keep us posted if at all possible!! :thumbsup:

M -

You got guts girlie!!! Just don't let stubborness get in your way of sound thoughts! Hopefully on your journey you will meet other fellow riders coming back who can give you road reports that will help. I am totally impressed that your taking this trip and wish you a safe journey!!!! :thumbsup: :bowdown: :cheerleader:

You still have time, get the Busa ready for the trip! Usually negative comments comes from folks that are jelous, dont have the nerve to follow through with there dreams, dont live life to the fulliest or any other negative reason. Move on, as I call them them type of people are Shoeflys... Shoe fly as you brush them out of your life!!
Set the Busa up, prepare. live your dream and succeed in the goals you set for yourself. Come home safely and share pictures and stories.:thumbsup:

Back