I like to shoot people!!!

Man, do me a favor and show her my "beefcake" thread. Tell her I love her, that I have a good career and that I am single too.
please.gif
cool.gif

Tell her this while playing "Hello" by Lionel Richie.
heart.gif
laugh.gif

I hear you about the lights... I just bought a couple of desk/clip-ons the other day with incandescent bulbs to do some shadowy soft stuff... Also, a guy I've talked to once in a while around here walked up to me yesterday and handed me a new-in-box Sunpak tripod with levels on it. Great for a freebie..
Will Do... She's a Sweetheart, and has me wrapped around her little finger. Embarrassed to admit it but yeah...

Just one thing, you're going to need to pick up a BMW... Dude, I'm telling ya it's the better than a puppy.
ices_rofl.gif

We're going to be getting lunch in a little bit, I'll let her know you send your regards...
jump9.gif

The lens that I am using more often now is the Tamron 28-200 Aspherical XR. This is about all that I can afford right now. I am going to try your advice about the sunset, Thanks.

The lens that I am using more often now is the Tamron 28-200 Aspherical XR. This is about all that I can afford right now. I am going to try your advice about the sunset, Thanks.
I've seen people with $500 worth of Camera take breath taking, gallery worthy photos.

I've seen folks with more professional gear than Ken Marcus that couldn't take an interesting photo at a Playboy New Years Party.

So it's not about the gear to a great extant. I mean it is somewhat, but learning to work within your camera's abilities, understanding it's strengths and weaknesses is what it's all about. Master your gear and then your allowed to simply create and worry about composition, and subject.

My .02 there are a lot of squids in the photo world, all gear, no ability...

So no need to cop out your gear, it doesn't take thousands of dollars worth of Nikon or Canon equipment to take a great picture.

I've seen people with $500 worth of Camera take breath taking, gallery worthy photos.

I've seen folks with more professional gear than Ken Marcus that couldn't take an interesting photo at a Playboy  New Years Party.  

So it's not about the gear to a great extant.  I mean it is somewhat, but learning to work within your camera's abilities, understanding it's strengths and weaknesses is what it's all about.  Master your gear and then your allowed to simply create and worry about composition, and subject.  

My .02 there are a lot of squids in the photo world, all gear, no ability...  

So no need to cop out your gear, it doesn't take thousands of dollars worth of Nikon or Canon equipment to take a great picture.
thumb_up.gif

Absolutely right.

Theoretically, with the right conditions and skill, an old school 110mm rectangular camera can take great pics.

Listen to Rev... You learn how to take great photos first, refining your technique and reading, then you step up to better gear.

Man, do me a favor and show her my "beefcake" thread. Tell her I love her, that I have a good career and that I am single too.  
please.gif

cool.gif

Tell her this while playing "Hello" by Lionel Richie.  
heart.gif

laugh.gif

I hear you about the lights... I just bought a couple of desk/clip-ons the other day with incandescent bulbs to do some shadowy soft stuff... Also, a guy I've talked to once in a while around here walked up to me yesterday and handed me a new-in-box Sunpak tripod with levels on it. Great for a freebie..
Will Do...  She's a Sweetheart, and has me wrapped around her little finger.  Embarrassed to admit it but yeah...

Just one thing, you're going to need to pick up a BMW...  Dude, I'm telling ya it's the better than a puppy.  
ices_rofl.gif

We're going to be getting lunch in a little bit, I'll let her know you send your regards...  
jump9.gif
Hahaha!
blush.gif

I hear you about the BMW. I've been looking into getting a used M3 or something new similar to your's. I could leave it in the Bay Area with my sisters for the occasional visit.

Thanks for all of the advise. I was thinkin of upgrading lenses after the new years but what you guys are saying makes sence. I am going to work with what I have and get better with that before sinking hundreds of dollars into different equipment. Thanks again.

Projekt,
I am offended. You left out Olympus, which happens to be my weapon of choice. I have just recently started a photography business, I retire from the Navy next year and don't want to work for anyone, so I have a couple of business ventures going, we'll see. I have made enough $$ so far to pay for the equipment that I have so that is something.

Don

I used to love my Olympus. The House Mouse set me up last Christmas with the Canon Rebel XTi. I love it,not too complex for Rubbah's busted brain.The stock lens is an' all round good shooter and for distance I have a 75-300 1:4-5.6 with IS. I love image stabilization.She got me a big-azzed tripod and a LowPro gear bag thats not much bigger than a lunch pail but holds my gunz and sits on your back nice. I was thinking about fooling around with a fish-eye lens next. It might get a bit boring after a while but I can see a use for a fish eye and a real nice macro.
I'm still playing with my new gun,trying to figure it all out,but for me,thats half the fun.

Good hunting fellas....RSD.

I like the wildlife stuff. I took this with the telephoto.The eagles nest is about 6 feet across.I was at least 200 yards from it(dont like to disturb the critters) standing in a swampy pool.The tree its in is huge. I have 600 acres of old growth forrest a block and half from my house.The birds are gone for the season,but I will try and snap a few this spring when the eagles come back to raise another youngin.

Shooting stuff is a great hobby.

RSD.

eagle_nest_034.JPG

Thanks for all of the advise. I was thinkin of upgrading lenses after the new years but what you guys are saying makes sense. I am going to work with what I have and get better with that before sinking hundreds of dollars into different equipment. Thanks again.
I brought it up because I caught myself starting to do the same thing. The Notion that "New" anything is going to make your pictures better just doesn't always work out. I mean if you have substandard gear there could be problems, but with serviceable gear, upgrading to the latest and greatest without upgrading your skills may not help much.

I realized that I hardly knew how to use the Canon XTI that I had bought for work and I was just sure that it was the cameras fault that I was getting so-so photos. Then after nosing around online it occurs to me, given the amount of positive press that the camera gets, that it is most certainly me letting the camera down, not the other way around.

Just like so many other things in life. The best "STUFF" won't do a damn thing if you lack skills.

I just started reading online a bit to get some idea of what I might be doing wrong, it's helped a lot.

So, uhm, Rev.... How was lunch?
lurk.gif
Lunch was awesome, She comes to the office at 2pm, wearing a leather corset, frilly sleeved top, tight white pants, high heal boots, and a black contact lense in one eye. The effect was startling, rendered me speechless and the co-workers wide eyed. It's hard to explain just how over the top she is, she positively charges a room when she enters... Anyway, we then we don't get back back from lunch till 6pm to go over her shots just as everyone is heading home. So yeah lunch was a lot of fun, she's definitely got me wrapped around her little finger though.

I had a professional photographer come in for the first half the shoot last week, so we are still waiting for those, but there was still 450 or so that she wanted to see that I took. What's frustrating is out of the 450 or so there will likely only be 20-40 really good ones and maybe 4-5 gems. I need to get better. It really is all about the lighting, though I was wishing I had a better SLR with a better sensor. I need something FAST to catch her.

I mentioned the shots here on the forum and she thought that our little exchange was entertaining, she just sorta looked at me cross eyed though.
poke.gif

We are going to set up a shoot with the Busa the BMW and maybe the Moto-Guzzi here in a little while though. Just for portfolio fodder for both of us. I want to get a black backdrop, and some more lights first. I'm thinking white lingerie with red highlights with the white car set in the snow would be mad hotness...

One more shot. You know, if you are going to be shooting someone all day, it should at least be someone you enjoy shooting.

IMG_1068sdx.jpg

Back