I like to shoot people!!!

I'm feeling you bro, In Fact, I spent 12 hours yesterday shooting one target...  12 Freaking hours...

Here's a couple of quick and dirties.  She's a trooper and just a lot of fun to work with though, so it was work yeah...  but it was hardly a rough day.
Damnit REV!!
I'd have some of that for you if I were stateside too. Luckily, I have been working on cultivating a small group of ladies to shoot around here. Managed to get a few of a chic coming out of the gym yesterday. She was all smiles in her workout attire, not even dressed up. Looked great though through my desert goggles. I'll spend some more time with the camera running around here to see what happens.
Bad thing is that I frequently get people asking me what I am doing taking pictures since I am on base. So, I have to be patient and explain that it is my hobby.
I'll put something together and try to post up soon.
Ya know what you should do bro, is find Base IM, or Public Affairs.  They could prolly find you some moonlighting work as a photog if you are interested.  There may not be a lot of combat camera over there right now so your service could be valuable.

Hell, find different units and talk to em' about shooting some for them.  As I am sure you know most "Legs"/Grunts/Gunbunnies love to have the "Tough Guy" pictures taken of them all dolled up in their battle-rattle.

"Desert Goggles"  Oh Man that rings a bell, I've never felt worse for pretty women anywhere in my life as I do for ladies deployed in the desert, I just hope they are carrying weapons.

Seriously though, I bet you could find yourself with some pretty damned decent access, just gotta talk to the right CO and you'll be in.
I here ya man... Good angle. I'll take a shot at it. I did see a soldier totin' a Big'ol Canon EOS, a good tripod and at least a 70-210mm 1:2.8 telephoto lens.
Will keep up the networking. I have a little distribution list for pics I've shot around the camp that I send to some peeps. Maybe that'll do something for me.

Thanks for the advice, but what I really want to see as well as every other fella here are more pics of your beautiful Blue Eyed trooper.
please.gif

Well I'm kinda a photo junkie but I'm not very professional at it, I usually wind up taking a bunch of pictures hopping I hit it just right for a couple of really good shots.

Any recommended reading?

I have a desire to get really good with a camera but I'm going to have to be self taught. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Look at the forums on www.nikonians.org
Otherwise you can see alot of stuff at places like www.photo.net
Stick to Nikon it is the only brand that matters.
Well that's interesting, I know Nikon makes top of the line stuff, no Canon though huh? Or Sony?

I got a Canon A530 (10MP) that I am not happy with. Oh it'll take a great picture "IF" the stars align properly.

I realize photography is mostly lighting and getting you camera to compensate but...inside at any distance I wind up with shadows, outside...well you get the idea.

I was thinking that a move to higher end digital SLRs (along with the knowledge of how to take advantage of that platform) would rectify the deficiencies.
Was gonna go EOS Rebel...hmmm.

Now you got me thinking since I'm not happy with my A530, maybe I should steer away from Canon altogather.

Well that's interesting, I know Nikon makes top of the line stuff, no Canon though huh? Or Sony?

I got a Canon A530 (10MP) that I am not happy with. Oh it'll take a great picture "IF" the stars align properly.

I realize photography is mostly lighting and getting you camera to compensate but...inside at any distance I wind up with shadows, outside...well you get the idea.

I was thinking that a move to higher end digital SLRs (along with the knowledge of how to take advantage of that platform) would rectify the deficiencies.

Now you got me thinking since I'm not happy with my A530, maybe I should steer away from Canon altogather.
Don't listen... He's just doing his drama thing...
boohoo.gif

Nikon makes great Camera's but you'll find many of their user/owners to be very "Mac" like in their devotion and cool aid intake.

Nikon is awesome if you're on a Budget, So is Canon. They are largely comparable, Ford VS Chevy if you will.

But it's all personal preference for the most part despite the noise...
laugh.gif

As for steering clear of Canon? I wouldn't recommend it. It's as senseless as the Busa VS ZX12 or ZX14 debates, keep an open eye and mind and you'll do fine.

I'd check online and see if there have been lots of folks having issues with the A530. If you cannot find a common problem then the problem is operator error and getting a more expensive camera will only result in more expensive bad photos. Digicams all have some limitations, each with their own quirks, it's up to you to figure out these quirks and work with them or around em'.

smile.gif

Well that's interesting, I know Nikon makes top of the line stuff, no Canon though huh?  Or Sony?

boohoo.gif

Nikon makes great Camera's but you'll find many of their user/owners to be very "Mac" like in their devotion and cool aid intake.

Nikon is awesome if you're on a Budget, So is Canon.  They are largely comparable, Ford VS Chevy if you will.  

laugh.gif
What???
wtf.gif

How dare you!!!
banghead.gif

Drama? ME?
laugh.gif

Well, okay, how's that for drama?
I'll give it to Revlis that the Nikonians versus Canonians are like the Bowtie vs BlueOval fights.

Yes, both brands do have loyal followings. It has everything to do with the nature of arrangement of controls and functions proprietary to each.

Canon has spent tons of money promoting its product and developing a unique brand identity..

Nikon, on the other hand has been there as the reliable and accurate workhorse of the photojournalism industry for along time.

Nikon did lose quite a bit of market share to Canon and others within the sports/action photography spectrum due to propensity for noise to appear in shots taken indoors at high ISO. The new generation should resolve that and bring loyalists back home to Nikon.

You could go either way and do very well. Don't be scared to spring for a good DSLR like the new Nikon D300 or a Canon 30D... Or for that matter something more budget oriented like the D40x or an entry level Canon DSLR The automatic modes will make your pictures come out well assuming you have decent composition skill.

Optics are everything so, outfit your "bundle" purchase with the best glass you can afford. You will not regret it. If you like doing a lot of indoor/lowlight stuff try to spring for 1:2.8 or better lenses such as 1:1.4 types. They are a serious investment so keep an open mind as to price.

laugh.gif

boohoo.gif

Nikon is awesome if you're on a Budget, So is Canon. They are largely comparable, Ford VS Chevy if you will.

laugh.gif
What???
wtf.gif

How dare you!!!
banghead.gif

Drama? ME?
laugh.gif

Well, okay, how's that for drama?
I'll give it to Revlis that the Nikonians versus Canonians are like the Bowtie vs BlueOval fights.

Yes, both brands do have loyal followings. It has everything to do with the nature of arrangement of controls and functions proprietary to each.

Canon has spent tons of money promoting its product and developing a unique brand identity..

Nikon, on the other hand has been there as the reliable and accurate workhorse of the photojournalism industry for along time.

Nikon did lose quite a bit of market share to Canon and others within the sports/action photography spectrum due to propensity for noise to appear in shots taken indoors at high ISO. The new generation should resolve that and bring loyalists back home to Nikon.

You could go either way and do very well. Don't be scared to spring for a good DSLR like the new Nikon D300 or a Canon 30D... Or for that matter something more budget oriented like the D40x or an entry level Canon DSLR The automatic modes will make your pictures come out well assuming you have decent composition skill.

Optics are everything so, outfit your "bundle" purchase with the best glass you can afford. You will not regret it. If you like doing a lot of indoor/lowlight stuff try to spring for 1:2.8 or better lenses such as 1:1.4 types. They are a serious investment so keep an open mind as to price.
thumb_up.gif
Well Said...

I have never really established a camera camp. But I tend to run that way with Things, or "stuff". Bikes, cars, etc... I recognize that there is going to be pluses and minuses to everything and any manufacturer nowadays can hit a home run once in awhile. I like Canon, but I've owned several Nikons, a Lieca, an Olympus, and a Minolta. Remember, that just because something is popular does not mean it's the best. It means it's most likely capable and effective, but rarely the best.

You figure extremism and Brand/political Party loyalties divide and manipulate the populace. So much better to simply pick and choose what works best for you, and not regress into the caveman mindset.

Hayabusa/ZX12 or ZX14 Soon will be 2008 Hayabusa VS Prior Hayabusa
Ford/Chevy
BMW/Mercedes/Audi
MAC/PC
Canon/Nikon
Bears/Steelers
Christian/Non-Christian
Black/White
My School/Your School

And it goes all the way down to the home and the way Americans are taught to be defined by the material garbage we own. Folks constantly and mindlessly carving out little niche's in an attempt to define themselves in a culturally bankrupt society. Fools struggling to be part of what they perceive as the "winning Team" then aggressively defending that choice if someone else shows up claiming their set of choices is better. My team is better than yours, my cave is bigger, my wife has bigger boobs, my truck is bigger, "HA HA HA I'm therefore Better"... It's what fuels the stupidity.

It's kind of a bummer. Sure it's a caveman based urge, a survival tactic if you will, but to not be able to recognize the base nature of these feelings, the origin of these thoughts and origins is pretty damned sad... Much better to always evaluate and choose based on personal preference, what YOU like as an individual, being mindful of the urge to "Go Along" with the current mindset, trend, or camp/party you feel drawn too.

Being aware of just how much influence the Media, Marketing, and the urge to "Pick A Team" has on us allows us to make better, more personal, and informed decisions about most everything in life.

flush.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

You need to quit blabbing and post up your little blue eyed model chickie...
beerchug.gif
laugh.gif
Greenish Gray Eyes Really... Her face was initially way underexposed, this composite is the result of 5 shopped layers, working hard to preserve the data.

I'll admit it, I'm sorta smitten...

IMG_0962imp.jpg

What kind of diffuser are you using?
No Diffuser believe it or not, it's all photoshop up top combined with Washington State Cloud Cover and straight Canon G9 Flash on the second, combined with some studio Floods and a high F-stop.

In several of the shots I am using a sheet of mylar crumpled on the floor with a flood bouncing off that however.

Here's an untouched shot. This is from the Rebel, not the G9, no flash and a couple of photo floods.

Of course for print work I drop the shiddy backdrop and place the bike and model in a different scene.

IMG_1983.jpg

You can tell on the backdrop that I have two hot floods at work.

Yes, that is apparent with the two distinct shadows. Is all that gear your own or part of your office's equipment. I have been looking at getting a portable lighting package but couldn't really utilize it to max potential in my little room. That is, unless I were to setup a studio in an unused office around here.

zzwhip.gif
PM -->
Projekt @ Nov. 23 2007 said:
1227238[/ATTACH] PM]
Yes, that is apparent with the two distinct shadows. Is all that gear your own or part of your office's equipment. I have been looking at getting a portable lighting package but couldn't really utilize it to max potential in my little room. That is, unless I were to setup a studio in an unused office around here.
Dude I still work for a dealership, a huge 3-store, 7 retail operation dealership sure, but still just a big Mom and Pop. They understand a new camera, they understand lights, but when I try to explain to them that I could really use a decent set of strobes??? I might as well be speaking a foreign language. I'm lucky to have photo spots.

Everything is theirs pretty much except for the G9.

So I am looking to buy some Clip on utility Shop lights from the hardware store, and a stack of GE Reveal Bulbs and cross my fingers.

It's cool though, there are some shots I simply cannot get, (She Moves Fast) so I get a lot of blur and out of focus shots working without a flash, hell I don't even have a Speedlight... Just the built in flash.
winkold.gif

Did I mention that she brought her "guns" with her to the Photo-shoot???

IMG_1024.jpg

zzwhip.gif

Man, do me a favor and show her my "beefcake" thread. Tell her I love her, that I have a good career and that I am single too.
please.gif
cool.gif

Tell her this while playing "Hello" by Lionel Richie.
heart.gif
laugh.gif

I hear you about the lights... I just bought a couple of desk/clip-ons the other day with incandescent bulbs to do some shadowy soft stuff... Also, a guy I've talked to once in a while around here walked up to me yesterday and handed me a new-in-box Sunpak tripod with levels on it. Great for a freebie..

I have a Canon Rebel Digital SLR and after reading all of this I feel that I need t buy some more equipment and step up my game. Here is aquick sample of what I have been doing now.

IMG_2638.jpg

That's a cool pic. Seems like you have the eye too. Try doing that same pic closer to sunset with the low sun shining directly on her face instead of at the side.... Sunset is much more flattering when shooting people or anything for that matter.

What kind of lenses do you have on the Rebel?

Back