I feel like I'm losing my mind

methodicreign

Registered
For years I have been anti-cruiser. I didn't like the feel or look or that ridiculous straight pipe "look at me" exhaust everyone felt the need to put in them. but for some reason the last year or so I have found myself taking second looks when I'm wondering around dealerships, or considering a demo days event to go for a quick ride just to see. I tend to stop myself cause I have poor impulse control and it's just safer if I don't ride one. Last year the simplistic approach to the honda phantom, basically a matt black shadow 750 was really appealing. I don't know why but I really liked the look. I stumbled across this in a dealership last weekend and literally stopped in my tracks to check it out. I wasn't looking for a bike, I wasn't there to look at bikes, I was doing a really good job of walking past all the fun new toys and not pay attention to them until this peeked around the corner. Stupid Yamaha. Anyways, I figured this crowd would understand my current dilemma. that and if I have to suffer I wanna bring others with me :whistle:

image.jpg

Having both a Busa and HD Nightrod all I can say is they are 2 very different rides. I enjoy riding both of them but if I had 2 choose 1 the busa would win by a landslide :whistle:

It's a great looking bike. I bought a Harley Fat Boy Lo, and it is a different ride. Mine has the stock pipes, so it's nothing like a "look at me" bike. Black and polished aluminum, and very little chrome. But, don't buy a cruiser if you want or need the brute power of a Hayabusa, because it's not there. You have to be ready for just letting other bikes and cars pass by you. Took some adjustment for me. Also, you can't lean a cruiser like a sportsbike. Seems obvious, but my first lean had sparks flying from the Harley's floorboard. Last thing is wind. The Hayabusa directs wind over and around you. On a cruiser, you are hanging out there like a sail. And if you buy into the look, you've got rocks and bugs stinging your face. You can rent a Harley for a day, a weekend, or a week. So, try one just to see what it's like to be on a cruiser. Good luck. Stock photo of the HD fat Boy Lo:

Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 8.37.13 PM.jpg

all very good points, I'm not there for the power, like you said it's simply not there. I barely use the power on the busa as is. I'm a speed limit and enjoy the ride kind of person 80% of the time and "I love corners and powering into the straight" 20% of the time.

I doubt I will own one any time soon, minus a lotto winning or something drastic as such. there is just a draw there lately is all. maybe I am maturing in my thirties or maybe the cruisers are being built just a little sharper these days. Either way it's a georgeous bike in person and I might just have to put my gen 3 savings into a different style of bike

I sold my 2000 last spring and bought a V-Max. Thought the power of the V-Max would do the trick. Power was great but the riding style was just not me. Picking up a 07 Busa in less than 2 weeks and I will not be without one again.

all very good points, I'm not there for the power, like you said it's simply not there. I barely use the power on the busa as is. I'm a speed limit and enjoy the ride kind of person 80% of the time and "I love corners and powering into the straight" 20% of the time.

I doubt I will own one any time soon, minus a lotto winning or something drastic as such. there is just a draw there lately is all. maybe I am maturing in my thirties or maybe the cruisers are being built just a little sharper these days. Either way it's a georgeous bike in person and I might just have to put my gen 3 savings into a different style of bike

Pretty wise thoughts for being in your thirties. I do notice that I actually look around more when I'm on the Harley and enjoy the ride. One other big difference is the balance point of the bike. On the Harley with your feet in front of you, you're balanced on your rear--a strange sensation compared to the Busa, where your balance point is somewhere near where your stomach touches the tank. You'll figure it out. Good luck.

I sold my 2000 last spring and bought a V-Max. Thought the power of the V-Max would do the trick. Power was great but the riding style was just not me. Picking up a 07 Busa in less than 2 weeks and I will not be without one again.

I felt like that after some riding on the HD, but pushed through it and now I'm enjoying the ride. But, the Hayabusa is the only one sports bike that I'd ever consider if I go back in the future.

That Yamaha is sharp, I have to admit that. So is the Harley for that matter. I am always browsing Craigs List keeping my eyes open for cool bikes. Right now I am thinking I would like to add a full dress BMW or a Gold Wing to my stable. Just today my wife and I went into a place called Simply Sport Bikes and looked around. Everything they have is used and they have everything from Hayabusas to Harleys. I walked out of there telling my wife I would not trade my bike for a single one of the 200 plus bikes they had. However, for a second bike I would o for a big touring bike.

That Yamaha is sharp, I have to admit that. So is the Harley for that matter. I am always browsing Craigs List keeping my eyes open for cool bikes. Right now I am thinking I would like to add a full dress BMW or a Gold Wing to my stable. Just today my wife and I went into a place called Simply Sport Bikes and looked around. Everything they have is used and they have everything from Hayabusas to Harleys. I walked out of there telling my wife I would not trade my bike for a single one of the 200 plus bikes they had. However, for a second bike I would o for a big touring bike.

Exactly how I felt when I trade in my Hayabusa. I backed down twice, and then finally did it when I realized that, after 8 good years with the Hayabusa, it was just time for a change. And, I said to myself that, if I didn't like the HD, I'd simply be upgrading to a Gen 2. Probably go back some day--maybe by then it'll be the Gen 3.

I've been poking at buying another bike but I'm leaning more towards an adventure or similar. I've been a Ducati fan owning several over the years, really like the Multistrada and the BMW 1200GS Adventure is also on my short list. I've been expanding my interest to the Honda Gold Wing F6B and HD Street Glide but my wife is pushing back resisting the change...... She's still stuck on sport bikes but one of these days I'm hoping she'll see that there can be enjoyment in riding other style bikes. :whistle:

it's such a toss up, if I had the money my stable would look like a dealership. K1600 for long distance touring, a couple cruisers for local runs around town, a busa cause well.. why not. a few smaller RR bikes for small blasts around the local highways and such. the styles and potentials of each are endless.

All I got to say is ride one. Completely different ride.

And depending on who you are, you might not like it.

I rode a Warrior for about 200 miles and did not like how each hit of the rear suspension went straight up my spine to my brain.
I prefer the slight crouch of the sporty bikes.

interesting point, I never thought of that. thankfully my local dealership does test ride. I'll have to make pretty darn sure the bumps don't hit too hard.

Coming in a little late to the conversation, but as someone who has been a Harley rider most of my life and blessed to be able to have both a Busa and a Harley, it all comes down to riding with your heart. If you feel it and it feels right, just do it, as life is too short to worry about whether or not it's right, because in the end, it's all about the open road and how you navigate it.

interesting point, I never thought of that. thankfully my local dealership does test ride. I'll have to make pretty darn sure the bumps don't hit too hard.

Yeah that's 1 thing I noticed real fast when it came 2 cruiser style bikes.... you feel every bump and pothole :banghead: it's a jolt that goes all the up your spine. Luckilly with my Nightrod it kinda stretches you out into a semi forward leaning position so the impact isn't as bad but still there none the less.

I've always been a sportbike guy but that Nightrod caught my eye and wouldn't let it go :laugh: I'd always find myself looking on CL from time 2 time seeing there was a deal 2 be had. I finally came across 1 and I just couldn't let it slip thru my grasp. Never haven ridden a HD before in my life I drove down with my GF in her car 3hrs away to check it out. Damn near mint condition!! Felt like a newb cause I had no idea where anything was @!! Took me a minute 2 get the hang of riding it thats 4 sure and I had a 3hr trip to get plenty of practice.... Different world compared 2 my busa and other crotch rockets I've owned that's 4 sure. But it's still a bike none the less, you just gotta accept it 4 what it is and what it aint :whistle:

it's such a toss up, if I had the money my stable would look like a dealership. K1600 for long distance touring, a couple cruisers for local runs around town, a busa cause well.. why not. a few smaller RR bikes for small blasts around the local highways and such. the styles and potentials of each are endless.

Do not buy a K1600....got a friend who bought one new...and after (3) "Yes sir the tranny is fixed now!" episodes?...he has lawyers trying to figure out how to give it back...and that was just "the primary" of many issues he's had with that bike...and it was purchased as "lifes dream retirement touring bike"...and at this moment?...I don't dare tell him what I told him before he bought it....which was..."You should get a Goldwing for that."

Don't believe me?...google up...."BMW K1600 Problems"...this all the bells and whistles bike wasn't even close to being ready for release for sale...but I'm certain the promotions department did a fine job! LOL!

Oh...almost forgot...I just installed a Vance & Hines Cruiser II dual staggered exhaust system on my Vulcan 1500 Classic last weekend...today?...I decided I wanted to see how it sounded with the removable baffles out...it's a different kind of "get your juices flowing" thing....think you're losing your mind now?...listen to this. ;)

[video=youtube_share;-b5716W7Px4]http://youtu.be/-b5716W7Px4[/video]

Back