Feels like cornering on ice

no cowl

Registered
Question from a ‘Busa Noob. I have only had my 05 Busa for a month or so and am still feeling her out. I have put just over 1,000 miles on her, mostly high way /commuting, and have some questions about tires and feel. If you can help, please chime in. I have been lurking here for a bit and have seen lots of good info here on the org, Hope you can assist me as well.

For the past 200 miles or so I have noticed that it feels different. Best way I can explain it is, it feels like the tires are slipping from underneath me (sideways). I notice this in almost turns, from 90 degree turns to on ramps onto the highway. Not a reassuring or comforting feeling while trying to build confidence in a new bike! I have been riding for about 5 years both cruisers and sport bikes and have never had this feeling before. The bike is basically stock, tire pressure is at factory 42 cold Bridgestone (OEM??)

Thanks in advance.

Lower the air pressure. I run 36-38 on the street when I want to rail thru the corners and never have that feeling of slipping. I don't run OE tires though. PP on the front and a PR2 on the rear. Very sticky with no slip.

i have had a similiar feeling but i dont know how the severity compares to your situation. i run just under 40 psi cold and i always check the tires. i know my tires are good so i trust in bike and i think acceleration helps if that makes sense

where do you live? are the roads/tires cold ?

maybe your getting on the throttle a little too much as you get more comfortable,since you said its only been the last 200mi

are the tires in need of replaceing?

I wouldnt suggest running the tire under inflated for sake of traction,esp on a highway

How many miles r on the OM tires total? I know a few months ago i had to replace mine b/c they had 1 bad spot in them on front and back. :welcome: This place is most helpfull

Sorry about Location, it us updated now. I am in Central Florida it has been cool at night (40’s) but no real ice.
I have been checking tire pressure regularly, have ridden on low tires before (not on purpose, forgot to check them) and don’t like the feeling of not being able to feel the road, very mushy.
Tires have 4600 miles on them (same as bike). If you look at the rear tire, the wear bars are just short of flush. But anything off of center, is nice deep tread. I will try to post a pic if needed. I don’t know if it is on the throttle too much, because I get the same response from the tires when on a steady curve at a steady speed.
Keep the help coming, I am wondering if I am not being aggressive enough in the corners?? It is hard to lean a bike that wants to slip out from under you at low speeds.

does it happen at the beginnig of the ride or at the end or just all the time.is there a perticular time of day it happens,morning compared to aftrnoon or always?

im gonna say,change to a better tire and that should fix everything, onlything on the road down there is condensation from humidity in the early morning possibly

if it's mostly in the morning after a 40 degree night, thats probably your biggest problem. Cement holds temperature longer than black-top, therefore is a little slick thru morning hours, double that with a cold tire. it's real tricky, i ride in 40 degree weather every year and I still get caught of guard every once in awhile. best thing to do after a cold night is be easy in the morning and let the sun do its thing. there's plenty of time for kneedraggin', careful not to end it early brother.

I ride mostly at 7am and 5pm with a few weekend runs at all hours on weekends. Have not noticed any consistency in when it happens in relation to time and conditions. It is not 100% of the time, I think. Could be in part because, sub-cautiously (sp) I am sure the first time I lean into the curve it will be the time it slides. Sure enough every trip has at least one or two sliding moments. A real brain **** ya know.
(If it works) Below are two sections of tire, the shiny one was wiped down in hopes to show contrast of tread. The other is just a ‘road dust’ covered tire.

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

Last edited:
by the way, welcome aboard. pay attention here, lots of intelligent riders who've seen alot and know where you're coming from....

Welcome!
:welcome:

Try and repost the pics of the tires please.
Because the bike is new to you, you may want to check and re -torque the rear axle nut, front axle and pinch bolts, and see if there is any front end play in the steering, wheel bearings etc.
I would do it on spec if I bought a used bike, just to be sure.

by the way, welcome aboard. pay attention here, lots of intelligent riders who've seen alot and know where you're coming from....

Thanks,
I have noticed most riders here are willing to help. I have seen on other type of boards that noobs are given a hard time for asking for help. I am not completely new to riding, just don't know everything and want to learn more.

this may not be the issue...but since you've ridden before, were you in the habit of trail breaking? are you trail breaking with the busa?

Along the trail braking theme.....If you are trail braking and downshifting, it is much easier to momentarily lock the rear wheel due to brake and torque combination. You want to get that done before the turn.

this may not be the issue...but since you've ridden before, were you in the habit of trail breaking? are you trail breaking with the busa?

If I find myself coming in too hot I will. I try to stick to the concept of “enter slow, accelerate at the apex”.
In reguard to shifting in corners, um no.... I am in the gear I want to be in before cornering (2nd for most 90 turns in town)

Last edited:
may want to keep track of when you're coming loose...if it's only when you trail brake...you may need to adjust the rear brake to not bite so hard or train your foot tonot push so hard

From the look of those chicken strips I'd blame it on cold roads and tires. Don't know about the Bridgestones, but the Michelins will start to get slick when worn.

From the look of those chicken strips I'd blame it on cold roads and tires. Don't know about the Bridgestones, but the Michelins will start to get slick when worn.

Chick strips,... Thanks Brother, :beerchug: (the next set may get worn down more, gotta feel the bike out for a bit)

The last sliding was on an on ramp (easy, soft arc) at 70 mph, air temp was 60's. Been on the highway for about 30 miles at 70 (ish) mph.

I am thinking in my heart, that new tires are in line. I just want to be sure that if there is any rider adjustments that need to be made are made on the old tires, so I can get the most out of the new tires, ya know?
Next step (after learning to trust the bike) is WHAT tires to get? (for around town driving and highway driving, track days and knee draging are not in the forecast for now)

Back