Feels like cornering on ice

Slap on a set of new Pirelli Diablo Corsa's. I got rid of my chicken strips after the first ride with them.

Sounds like your tires are tired. Maybe one too many heat cycles. My friend has had that happen on a few sets of older tires. It happens.

Cold roads, cold tires, tires are pretty worn down the center (twi showing) could all contribute to that type of issue I would bet..

I went through this on a set of Bridgestone BT021's and the problem went away when I replaced the tires.. They were like that from day one..

Suspension, I would think "Stiffening" the suspension would exacerbate the problem myself.. (sure did on mine)..

I would soften up the compression a few clicks, soften up the tires to maybe 36psi and start shopping for new rubber.. Really is not the best bike to be learning about "loose" handling tires..

As this is your first bike, you may not even be feeling slippage but a good picture of the tire surface might tell a tale... (front too) anyway be careful..

(snip)

As this is your first bike, you may not even be feeling slippage but a good picture of the tire surface might tell a tale... (front too) anyway be careful..

Not first bike. below is a pic of front tire. (same section, one dry, one wiped down wet)
frontdry.jpg

front1.jpg

I think your tire is starting to "square off" which makes cornering feel very different. Think of a rear tire being really square and trying to corner on it. Buy a new set of tires and you will be a happy camper once again.

I think your tire is starting to "square off" which makes cornering feel very different. Think of a rear tire being really square and trying to corner on it. Buy a new set of tires and you will be a happy camper once again.

maybe it's just the pictures, but I can't see any really cupping at all

There just simply old tires.. (glazed over) replace them with new and as my friend rayabusa would say; just grip it and rip it.. :thumbsup:

btw :welcome: welcome to the org.

the stock battleax's on the '05 busa's weren't the greatest tire in the world. Bridgestone has just started to come out with much better compound tires, but back then they were trying to get more life expectency so it gave a little to the grip factor. there are many quality tires now available and all of us on here will swear by one or another. i ride on Shinko 005 Advantage. it's given me no problems at all. great straight line bite and nice cornering abilities, i'm not a kneedragger tho, so i don't USUALLY overly get into the chicken strips, but on occasion i do lean in a bit and i've never had a slide. i'm 6'2" and weigh about 260 and ride with 38-39 psi

+1...if your tire starts "squaring off", as you lean, the bike will all of a sudden drop off the edge because of the flat spot. flat spots can happen from to many straight miles. knowing florida roads and e-ways, if you're running straight for any length of time, you may want to scrub the tires from time to time to aide in rounding

Thanks for all the in put guys!
Would you recomend replacing with stock size of 190/50 or something like a 180/55? Keep in midn I am not a knee dragger by any streatch of the mind. I like to dip every now and then, but mostly ride just about every day on the streets.
I am WIDE open to suggestions for my baby. Wanna be safe, but have the faith that she will stay with me in the corners.

i ride on a 200/50, but the only problem with a 200 is that right off the shelf, due to it's width, it tends to have a bit of a flat area from the git. which is why it makes a great straight line tire:thumbsup:

There's nothing wrong with a 200mm for corners, and from the looks of your chickin strips you don't corner anyway.. :whistle: :poke: :laugh:

make you a deal... you fly me down to FL (it is snowing here in IN) and I will diagnose the issue for you.. And with this deal you will get my unabashed opinion on what tire to use after we go through a detailed profile of your riding style.. Flight can depart anytime after Noon on Friday and should come home a week later... :rofl:

Really... I would do that for you... :laugh:

And here I am wishing I were up north ???..... (lived in Peru IN for a while, love the country)

Ride safely there is really no way of knowing what is on the road before you hit the turns sand, coolant, a little oil. Can't pre check a public road. Have fun though:beerchug:

I was thinking it looked a little square to and that is awful to corner with. It's like it's not cornering and then all at once it does.

Back