Feels Like A Flat???

solarbarack

Donating Member
Registered
I went riding hard the other day, around the 3 digit mark most of the time. I was with a few friends, and we where a taking pics of each other to try and get our form down better. This is the one of many great things I took back from the bash with me. You can learn alot from pics. Ok back on the subject. I went riding yesterday, and it feels like my tire is low on pressure. I especially feel it going around corners. The pressure is fine. It dosen't wobble or shimmy. It just feels squishy going into a corner. Any ideas?

Forgot to add, it only seems to feel this way above 60 and when cornering. It also only feels like the rear is the problem.

Use another tire gauge to verify that you actually have the air pressure in it you think you do.

If the rear shock and suspension is working correctly, all bolts tight, no side to side play in the swing arm, the bike has not been lowered, and the rear tire has not flat spotted in the center. I would dial in a couple of clicks of rebound in the shock and up the preload by a few turns. While you are at it you should set the sag.

Fresh rubber, fork springs and a shock spring correct for your weight, combined with 1" lift dog bones, will make a huge difference in handling.

cheers
ken

Yep what BW and KML said. Verify the pressure. If that's correct, I would check suspension. In fact, check suspension anyway; you'll be surprised at the difference it will make.

Two years ago, at the Bash, I could feel the bike wanting to wash out on me. We adjusted the suspension and it was a night-and-day difference!!

I had Perelli Diablo SSs on mine and as the tires got a little older (ya know, old on a Busa - 3 months) it started feeling like that on certain road surfaces and felt like ice skating if the roads were wet.

Put the bike on stands and spin the tires while looking down at them and make sure they spin true and have no warps or out of round conditions in the rubber.
That is what happened to my Pirellis.

Thought that might be worth a mention here.

Thanks for all the input. I did use a second tire gauge. It read the same. I was going to get my suspension set up the Sunday we where down there Omar, but the place was closed. We rode part way up the dragon, and turned around because it was pouring. The place was closed on the way back too. It didn't feel like this the night before? I have only adjusted my suspension by feel. I don't know what it should corectly be set at.

Are you on SPORT tires or TOURING tires? Tour style will be weaker and sloppier feeling. May also have deeper grooves causing more turning squirm

Search for JINKSTER's suspension setup someplace on here. It will get you setup

I'm running on the stockers. I'm going to get either the Conti sport attack, or the PP 2ct's. at the end of the month. It's just strange this happened overnight.

I did a quick read up on jinksters suspension set up. It already confirms what I knew. Heavier springs. Vman told me this at the bash. was hoping to get that taken care of before I left, they were closed.
banghead.gif
I don't think this would just happen overnight, unless something came loose. I'll check when I get home. I'll also post the results, and outcome for anyone else that might experience this.

I'd have a close look at your rear wheel alignment. String line that puppy so you know it's nuts on before you go messin with the suspension. Also improper chain adjustment could be the culpret. Set your tire pressure at 36 psi cold. Check all three before touching the suspension. If you have been tinkering with your suspension adjustments, put it back to factory settings and start from there.

You could use heavier springs on both ends but I'd figure out what the problem is before I touched the suspension.

I was having trouble with my dunlops (they were on the bike when I bought it), after a few speed runs to the limiter, my tires were blue (glue seepage) around the sides and very "squishy" feeling. It's possible your triple digit riding overheated your tires. You might just see your problem go away when you install your CT2's, thats what happened to me. We see it on the car tires too, the glue compound in the rubber just isn't designed to take the heat of high speed friction.

if it was ok then went bad, tires probably just went past the point of being able to make up for soggy suspension.. have you had the front suspension done yet? at 240lbs it made a big difference for my bike (hope to get the rear done shortly)

Was it windy? One day I would have swore my tire was going flat but it was just the wind blowing hard and making it feel wierd.

I did a quick read up on jinksters suspension set up. It already confirms what I knew. Heavier springs. Vman told me this at the bash. was hoping to get that taken care of before I left, they were closed.  
banghead.gif
    I don't think this would just happen overnight, unless something came loose. I'll check when I get home. I'll also post the results, and outcome for anyone else that might experience this.
It definately sounds like a tire issue. I had the same thing happen at the Gap last year. Everything was fine running 2nd grear through the dragon, but on longer rides on looser roads it felt like I was running on a flat front tire. My problem turned out to be a low front tire because my gauge was reading wrong. You've eliminated that one already.

How many miles on the tires?

I have 1600 miles on the tires. I'm going to order my rear today, just because I was going to replace it anyway. I'll be setting up the suspension on Sunday, The best I can anyway, using jinksters setup. Can't buy the new springs right now with my current situation. I do appreciate all the input though guys.

Back