What would make my front end feel like a low tire

busa186

Registered
Any ideas, besides low tire! It feels squishy like its 10psi low. Noticed it a week ago. Used a couple different tire gauges both read 42 psi.

06 with 18k, stock everything. Have not done forks bit they don't leak and I have only hovered the front wheel off the ground.

Thanks!

sent using my middle finger on tapatalk

You could have a bad tire, bad tire gauges, steering neck bearings, damper issue. Don't have a clue.

I had my dad ride it and he said I was to picky. Told him I don't want to think about that stuff at 150... he told me to keep it at 130 and I should be good.

Lift the front end, and try to turn your handlebars back and forth and see if there is too much resistance or if the steering head wobbles, or anything else seems abnormal. This might give you a clue. Rotate the front by hand while you are at it to make sure nothing is going on at slow speed, or any strange sounds coming out of it.

Oh, and check that all four bolts holding the upper and lower triples are tight. Remove the pastic piece under the nose, and try to tighten them. If at least one of them turns easily there is your problem.

Let us know.

I've had one rear tire issue with a Shinko I had to buy while out of town on a trip. It made the bike shake around 130 from memory, but if I pushed through that it was smooth on up. Otherwise my Gen I and II have been as smooth at 185 as they are at 35.

I just taking a guess.. How are these front tires balanced..do they use weights? If so it might be out of balance..but it sounds like u might need to took at the tire itself. What does the tire thread look like. Any unusual wear?

well im thinking rear shock at 18 k

if your feeling like the front has gone vague and nothing wrong look at the rear first as a tired shock will cause all sorts of odd handling issues .

I just taking a guess.. How are these front tires balanced..do they use weights? If so it might be out of balance..but it sounds like u might need to took at the tire itself. What does the tire thread look like. Any unusual wear?

No unusual wear, about 5k on the metzler m3. They are balanced with weights, none are missing. It seems like I started getting this feeling after I started working on my chicken strips. They were about 2" due to my commute, now that I have a new route they are down to a 1/4 inch.
I wonder if the feel is from the new tread??? I don't think so, because I really only notice when I'm going strait. I will get it up this weekend and give it a once over.

well im thinking rear shock at 18 k

if your feeling like the front has gone vague and nothing wrong look at the rear first as a tired shock will cause all sorts of odd handling issues .

Could be, I'm 235 on a stock set up.

Remove the pastic piece under the nose, and try to tighten them. If at least one of them turns easily there is your problem.

Let us know.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I will look at that first.

No unusual wear, about 5k on the metzler m3. They are balanced with weights, none are missing. It seems like I started getting this feeling after I started working on my chicken strips. They were about 2" due to my commute, now that I have a new route they are down to a 1/4 inch.
I wonder if the feel is from the new tread??? I don't think so, because I really only notice when I'm going strait. I will get it up this weekend and give it a once over.

Do you have a flat spot in the center of the tire from only straight line driving? Does it feel as if the tire has an edge on it when you now lean over into a turn? Like there's a small bump every time you lean over and come back up, and to either side.
It sounds like your tire is just worn from all the straight line driving, and now that you've worn the sides too it's not as noticeable just looking at it.
You would now have a wider flat contact patch with the road, resulting in heavier and slower feeling steering, and it could also feel like a low tire.

Do you have a flat spot in the center of the tire from only straight line driving? Does it feel as if the tire has an edge on it when you now lean over into a turn? Like there's a small bump every time you lean over and come back up, and to either side.
It sounds like your tire is just worn from all the straight line driving, and now that you've worn the sides too it's not as noticeable just looking at it.
You would now have a wider flat contact patch with the road, resulting in heavier and slower feeling steering, and it could also feel like a low tire.

Could be... that's kinda was my thought. It's not so much that I have a lip when I lean. Heavy is the perfect word, that's what it feels like. When I'm going down the road strait, it feels heavy and doesn't hold the line as well as it should.

Could be... that's kinda was my thought. It's not so much that I have a lip when I lean. Heavy is the perfect word, that's what it feels like. When I'm going down the road strait, it feels heavy and doesn't hold the line as well as it should.

From what you describe and without seeing the tire or riding the bike I would say it's the tire then. 5k miles is enough to toast any tire, I'm lucky to get half that:laugh: Good luck with it.:beerchug:

After reading more details about your front tire it seems more and more that it just could be worn like sixpack says.

If you do a lot of straight line riding, try the Pilot Road 2 or 3. I ride 600+ miles a week on my commute where 90% of it is interstate. These tires perform very well for the ride to work, but still stick to the ground for the weekend in the mountains.

If you do a lot of straight line riding, try the Pilot Road 2 or 3. I ride 600+ miles a week on my commute where 90% of it is interstate. These tires perform very well for the ride to work, but still stick to the ground for the weekend in the mountains.

got them on mine the road 2's and they seem to work very well:thumbsup:

as above 5k on a m3 time to renew

Operator error possibly?

Have three friends ride the bike and don't mention your thoughts. If all three come back without a complaint on steering then your pappy is correct, it "AINT" the bike! :beerchug:

I agree with Tuf, get a couple of other opinions. Many times we over analyze the bikes when we need to ride more and worry less. Still give it the once over by hand for any visible issues, but if you don't find any, ride like you stole it!

Back