New Shinko 009 feels 'loose'

no cowl

Registered
OK, in follow up to ‘cornering on ice’ thread, it became obvious that I need a new rear rubber. Well with money tight I found Shinko to be [on paper] a good balance between price and performance. Mind you I do mostly highway miles and daily commute. I don’t get to do any track days and don’t trust the bike enough to do any knee dragging.

So my question to you guys is this: “What should a new tire feel like?” OR “what did your 009 Shinko’s feel new/ now?”

I have been riding for near 5 years and this is the first tire I have had to replace (bought and sold a few bikes over the years). This feels VERY ‘loose’ almost like the rear wants to come around and off track (fish tailing). Tire pressure is good.

Any advice? :please:
Thanks!

It's not balanced correctly. Take it off and rebalance it very carefully. Some tires are harder than others to get spot on.

How long has it been on, and at what temperatures are you riding ?. I found Metzeler sticky right out of the box, but given a cold night, and just starting out from a point of origin, it would take a wander on me. Couple minutes later, it was right on track. Also, I run mine about 6lbs light from stock specifications. 42 is fine for interstate, but around town 36 does the trick. :super:

If the tire feels loose, and the pressure and alignment are good, it's a balance issue. The faster you go the worse it will get.

Wiped mine with brake cleaner, yes, BRAKE CLEANER, then sanded them lightly....oh boy...here comes the debate...:rofl:

shouldn't this be in the gay day thread??:poke:

and technically if you only need the REAR rubber it's big diesels responsibility to get it:thumbsup:

:rofl::rofl:

Why does this make you think of my :moon: ???? :laugh: :beerchug:

I have a whopping 15 miles on it (realy BRAND NEW). Top speed of the trip was 60-70 for about 6 miles, the rest was 35 or less.

I had it installed at a shop, should I take it back and tell them something is not right? I would assume that they would take it out for a spin and come back with 'nope runs fine'..... or give it more time to break in?

Ask the shop to recheck the balance. BTDT. Balancing the tire again made everything right. If the balance is good, then you need to heat cycle the tire a few times to get it sorted.

OK, in follow up to ‘cornering on ice’ thread, it became obvious that I need a new rear rubber. Well with money tight I found Shinko to be [on paper] a good balance between price and performance. Mind you I do mostly highway miles and daily commute. I don’t get to do any track days and don’t trust the bike enough to do any knee dragging.

So my question to you guys is this: “What should a new tire feel like?†OR “what did your 009 Shinko’s feel new/ now?â€

I have been riding for near 5 years and this is the first tire I have had to replace (bought and sold a few bikes over the years). This feels VERY ‘loose’ almost like the rear wants to come around and off track (fish tailing). Tire pressure is good.

Any advice? :please:
Thanks!

What are you running for a front tire and how many miles on it ???

It's not balanced correctly. Take it off and rebalance it very carefully. Some tires are harder than others to get spot on.

If the tire feels loose, and the pressure and alignment are good, it's a balance issue. The faster you go the worse it will get.

Ask the shop to recheck the balance. BTDT. Balancing the tire again made everything right. If the balance is good, then you need to heat cycle the tire a few times to get it sorted.
:rofl: yep, 35 mph might make the rear tire fly off the ground and flip you over azzbackwards....

really how did the old tire feel?

I have a whopping 15 miles on it (realy BRAND NEW). Top speed of the trip was 60-70 for about 6 miles, the rest was 35 or less.

I had it installed at a shop, should I take it back and tell them something is not right? I would assume that they would take it out for a spin and come back with 'nope runs fine'..... or give it more time to break in?

I don't know much about tires....just saw an opportunity to make a cross thread joke:beerchug:

Hey TXbusa:poke:,you are not the only one, that is exactly what I do!Gives me piece of mind after getting tires up to temp.(+30to50 miles), for the first few leans.Then it is game on.:thumbsup::beerchug:

Hey TXbusa:poke:,you are not the only one, that is exactly what I do!Gives me piece of mind after getting tires up to temp.(+30to50 miles), for the first few leans.Then it is game on.:thumbsup::beerchug:

Well then, you are now my friend...:rofl:

Put on your flame suit though...we've been down this road 1k's of times...

I had it installed at a shop, should I take it back and tell them something is not right? I would assume that they would take it out for a spin and
come back with 'nope runs fine'..... or give it more time to break in?

may just be cause they are new. my shinko was a little slippery brand new. mines the 003 ultra softs though.

• Highest tread life of Shinko sport-performance radials
sounds like this could be a pretty hard tire to start with..

I wasn't happy with mine and only got about 2K miles out of it. But I really don't know if this is a tyre issue.

Crap tire to begin with and you definitely need more break in time :rulez:

I wasn't going to say that, but that was my impression. Forced to buy it from a speed shop in NC near Maxton when a brand new Michelin gave it up to major road debris.

Back