How does a 450 lb. motorcycle get stolen?

F=MA

Donating Member
Registered
Hey everyone. I'm new here and looking to buy a Hayabusa in a month or so. I've seen a number of threads about these bikes getting stolen.

For those who have firsthand experience with this...my condolences. Would you please share with us what you know or suspect happened?

It is my belief that if we are aware of the method thieves are using to steal these bikes we can better defend ourselves.

A number of years ago I had a Honda Nighthawk stolen from my driveway. Stupid me got lazy and quit locking the forks when it was parked. :banghead: Thieves just pushed it six blocks away into an alley and stripped it. It was recovered with nothing but the frame (with hacksaw marks where they tried to cut the engine out), engine and transmission. Fortunately I only paid $400 for this bike so it didn't hurt that much, but I can't imagine losing a $10,000 bike.

Thanks in advance. I love reading the forums here!

One of the quickest and easiest ways it gets ripped off. Is 4 Aholes stick a pipe thru each wheel. They all grab an end of the pipe and either toss it in a van or truck. Gone in 15 seconds or less...

One of the quickest and easiest ways it gets ripped off. Is 4 Aholes stick a pipe thru each wheel. They all grab an end of the pipe and either toss it in a van or truck. Gone in 15 seconds or less...

Yep.. and the only real defense against that is Low Jack.

maybe i shud undestand how lo-jack works b4 i ask this Q. here's what am thinking so this lo-jack, say the sons of bi$%^s discover your bike is equipped with one, and they disconnect it, remove it, what good is the lo jack???

That's exactly how my buddy's in San Antonio got stolen!

yes prevention is important but when you talk about highly sought after bikes you have to go all out recovery Lojack / mogo something like that a must have for these machines aside from the standard roadlock or krypto and an alarm. Mine sleeps in doors and is for pure recreation if I am not on it I am looking at. If they want it an come prepared to take it there is nothing that will stop them.

There is no way to really make your bike Theft proof if they want it they are going to get it all you can do is really make it harder for them to steal by using anti theft deterants like RoadLok, Lo-Jack, Alarms, and GPS locators. But in regards to the alarms/ Lo-Jack type devices all a crook has to have is an RF Dector which can be purchased at your local Radio Shack. This gives them an idea were to look on your ride for such devices and then they remove them and then they are no longer an asset to your bike. So again there is no real way to make it theft proof. Best ways to keep your bike safe is to keep in sight when you are out and about and to put it up in the garage when you are at home and even then when it is in your garage use your theft deterants as well.

Keep in mind what the bike will be used for where and for how long will it be parked?

Mine is in my closed garage, or behind a fence at work, when I'm not watching it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

:thumbsup:Physics is my thing, F=MA(cool!):thumbsup:

this why I keep my on a leach when a Park to make it harder

100_0633.jpg

Use a disc lock on the rear rotor in addition to the fork lock. At least this way no one can simply lift one end and roll it away.

theres things alot heavier the 450lbs in this world that get stolen. all you can do is not make it easy for them,if they want it they will get it.

:welcome:

There have been some interesting posts on this subject. I believe in layered defense, I have a Scorpio alarm with proximity sensor and engine cut off, Roadlok, LoJack and use a disc lock on the front as well as the factory fork lock. You can never make a bike theft proof but you can make it difficult for them. I never leave my beauty outside overnight unless traveling and then I park it and lock it in a location close to the room and in such a manner to make it as difficult to pick up as possible (diagonal or against a wall, etc.). I have the enhanced LoJack which transmits if the bike is moved with out the key fob in proximity and I am alerted by a phone call stating that my bike has been moved. When asked about why the investment in security my comment was that it would make it easier to steal someone else's bike then mine and if they did steal it at least with LoJack I might get the satisfaction of seeing them go to jail even if the bike was dismembered. Bottom line, the amount of money you spend depends on how much you think of your bike. JMHO

Use a disc lock on the rear rotor in addition to the fork lock. At least this way no one can simply lift one end and roll it away.

This can actually make it easier to nab. The fact that both wheels don't roll makes the bars they put through the wheels a more solid hand-hold for the goons.

No no no...disagree. If four guys are stealing bikes, disc locks aren't going to dissuade them one bit. if one or two guys are stealing bikes, rolling them away or up a ramp into a truck or van is much easier if they onlly have to lift the front end.

They have been known to put the wheels on 2 scateboards and wheel it right off...

Here's a vid of a couple guys lifting the front end of a CBR into a van apparently with locked forks. Took them less than 40 seconds!

- Honda CBR600RR 2007 STOLEN![/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't heard a bike cover mentioned yet. I always leave mine parked with the key in it. :laugh:

Here's a vid of a couple guys lifting the front end of a CBR into a van apparently with locked forks. Took them less than 40 seconds!

- Honda CBR600RR 2007 STOLEN![/url]

Dang in a mini van no less! Makes you think about just leaving the key in it. But notice that the rear wheel was rolling, and to mention covers I have two, I have my Guardian and I put a lock on the cover and when traveling I use my Geeza.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line, if they want it, they are going to get it. Make sure your bike is not easy pickings. Alarm, disc lock, cover, etc. Most thieves are lazy and will move on if your bike presents a good challenge. Then you have the idiots that if they cant steal it, they will just tear it up trying, not much you can do about that. I have an 2 way paging alarm and a Roadlok, thats about all I can do.

The Hotter your bike looks, the more thought and process they will use to get it! I dont need an alarm, disc lock, ect..It never leaves my sights! They will need a gun pointed at my head, and only then will i decide to Gamble...

Back