How do you act at "stoplights"?

I have to admit that I did recently have one stupid moment. .. on a three lane highway with very light traffic, I was cruising about 5+ mph of the avergae cagers when a car I was coming up to wasn't getting out of my lane. I went into the middle lane to retain my cruising speed. He decided to speed up in an attempt to make it seem difficult for me to pass him. I wasn't really paying attention and just fell in behind him. Of course he then slowed back down to his normal speed. Again to retain my cruising speed I went into the other lane to pass and he again speed up. This time I took more notice and slowly rolled in a little more speed. Yes, we were both traveling above the posted limit. I wanted to see how long he would cary on like an idiot. He didn't want to yield and held steady about two car lengths ahead of me matching my speed. At this point I was tired of the stupid games.

Down three, a fist full, and a moment later he was fadding away in my mirrors. Back up to sixth and I can resume my normal cruising speed. I don't like doing stupid things like that but when pushed I'll push back.

Sorry, I know this is unrelated to a stoplights

+1 Spudley - she sounds so sweet!
+1 Spike & VaBuse - I have that "Me First" attitude too...
+1 Shibumi - Safety first
+1 MPH 200 - Love making the kids day - I love the way they smile when you give them a thumbs up!

Commuta - Had a similar experience riding home Sun AM from a wedding... wankers in cars playing games on a 3 lane highway - but I let 'em go 'cause I didn't want to set a bad example... especially since my husband and kids were behind me in the truck.

But there was one time when a carload of guys pulled up next to me and were hanging out of the car windows, grinning like fools - that was funny. I wonder if they would have had the same reaction if they knew the broad on the bike was twice their age...

Yeah, I wave to the little ones too
biggrin.gif

And LCB, I was at a stop light once and ACROSS the median on the other side were a few guys in some beat up car...through my helmet and with all the sounds all around me I could hear one of 'em yell "that's a chick!" and I cracked up...pretty sure I was glad I couldn't hear much else beyond that one comment
laugh.gif

I jam on the front brake, grab a huge handfull of throttle, maintain a continuous burnout of the rear tire until the light changes, then do a standup wheelie through the lights until the next junction....

But seriously, at traffic lights I'm watching for idiots coming up behind me who don't see motorcycles, idiots who are jumping the red, morons making last-minute lane changes across the solid whites etc. etc.

In other words, I'm trying to stay alive, not impress the loser in the car that does 0-60 in 12 seconds....

Unlike what they teach you in the MSF course, I switch to nuetral with hands on hips. Looking everywhere for that idiot that I know is there. It doesn't take long to find one or two. I do not race from stoplights.

(DAB @ Jun. 19 2007,10:55) I jam on the front brake, grab a huge handfull of throttle, maintain a continuous burnout of the rear tire until the light changes, then do a standup wheelie through the lights until the next junction....
Ok I just spit diet coke all over my screen. Thanks for that.
jump9.gif

(DEVLDOG @ Jun. 19 2007,06:20) nah,theres no reason for that nonsense,i do however,like to get in front just so no one has the oppertunity to cut me off but why beat your bike for a ford ranger???  
all_coholic.gif
+1 .... a Ford Ranger??

(PaNDeM1C @ Jun. 18 2007,22:56) I'm curious about how my fellow .orgers react at stop lights next to cars... especially performance cars like vettes or beemer M3's, etc...

Do you guys look over ready to race or do you not even look over at all?

Hey, this doesn't only pertain to performance cars... this also matters as far as any car/truck that is next to you at a stop light.

Here's what I do; I just roll lightly in 1st and let the car dictate my speed. I don't jack my wrist UNLESS the driver next to me thinks he want 'to run me' from the start.... even though he or she probably has no idea what a busa is and that I could blow their car right off the map IF I grabbed the gas.

So.... how do you guys deal with ALL cars at stop lights?

I just ride normally... and take off at a reasonable speed. I don't try to race (because I know I'll win anyway).

I guess I made this post just because I want to see what my fellow busa riders think about this whole situation....

(do we want cars/other bikes to pull from us from a start even though we were not even riding fast or even trying at all?)

I ask this Q just to be sure I'm not letting down other busas by letting a 99 Ford Ranger pull me at a traffic light. Of course... I let him. Obviously. That's just an example of how I ride sometimes. I'll let lesser vehicles pull me from the 'green' because I know that I can just give a lil' twist and take them over and then some just by grabbing the gas. So... I guess I'm the type of rider that'll give the cars or whatever else is next to me the chance to decide what to do... then, later, I'll put the throttle to work and just hum by them.........

But....

... that's just me.
it usually depends on one of my several riding "moods/modes"...

1. Jus' Commut'in?: i couldn't give a rats azz about jump'in anybody in anything..just looking to get there alive...minding traffic...checking my mirrors before, during and at all stops at all times..and if some tallywhacker wants to play badazz in a cage?....I might rev up a bit to bait'em just to watch'em holeshot for nuth'in but my personal amusement..and/or let'em go on "thinking" they beat me...another day?...a different time, mood/mode?...they'll be mine and i'll own that azz.
laugh.gif

2. Fri/Sat Night Cruis'in The Blvd?: I don't bother looking around...as they are only worthy if they try to get my attention first...I wait for them to turn their head and look over at me or rev their motor first...(meanwhile i'm checking the scene to make certain that the moment is appropriate)..then?..i don't rev or look back..i let'em hang...wondering...and when the light turns green?..i jump their lunch and smoke that azz!
laugh.gif

3. While Running With A Crew/Group?: Nope....too confusing and disorganized for one of several to one-on-one a cager..i ride "The Pace"...no crusaders or showboats..i just keep it clean and orderly..."most" of the time anyways.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

i typically pay no attention to whats next to me unless there are little kids waving hands ill, wave back. like others said who cares what a cager is driving and whether they want to race. they no the deal

I turn my head, open my visor and stare the driver right in the eyes, then hit the purge for my NOS bottle.

Naw, i don't have the bottle, but i think it would be cool to do.
firedevil.gif

(GMbusa @ Jun. 19 2007,20:14) I turn my head, open my visor and stare the driver right in the eyes, then hit the purge for my NOS bottle.

Naw, i don't have the bottle, but i think it would be cool to do.
firedevil.gif
biggrin.gif
That would be fun...........

I just mind my own business, looking at the mirrors, watching my surroundings, wave at the little kids(and Moms). Might be future riders there.

let car go first incase some one runs the light ... then windum up within safe speed on interstate ,,,gone ... do look for humps at red lights just cant help to see somthing lookin good .. always lookin mirrors and look for dumbazzes that could cause problem

I own a 95 Ranger and a 05 Busa. If I were in a Ranger, I wouldn't try and race anyone! A wheel chair would probably beat me.

But, I don't really have an eye out to race until someone shows how little they know. Then, I look around for cops. You can win most races in a hundred yards, but you can collect a nasty ticket in the same time.

Almost any Harley will do what they usually do. Make a lot of engine revving noise. Most realize what will happen and just make more noise and take off slowly.

However, I did have one chase after me down a busy street (with a woman on back). I think I was in 5th and he just dwindled in the mirror). I cut in and out and was in the left lane at a red light with the right lane clear. I looked around and the Hardly was nowhere to be seen. And I was soooo ready!

I love toying with these little piss ant cars the kids have (the ones with 4 bangers and a muffler with a giant exhaust end). I get them to go for all they can, and then I use just enough throttle to keep even. Not much throttle required. Then I just crack the throttle open and pull in front of them.

Once there is a car stopped behind me I'll take it out of first. I typically just casually accelerate out in front - not very hard. But if there is a brand new Z06, Mustang Cobra, Ferrari, etc. at the line as well I'll let them dictate what happens next.

<embed src="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fsmileys.smileycentral.com%252Fcat%252FF%252Ftransport.swf%253Fcode%253DF%252F0%252F15%2526partner%253DZSzeb110%255FZNfox000/transport.swf" loop="false" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="100" height="120" name="transport" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" wmode="transparent" flashvars="code=F/0/15&partner=ZSzeb110_ZNfox000" />

(WWJD @ Jun. 19 2007,09:14) As much as I'd love to rip it open at EACH AND EVERY FREAKIN stop light, I nearly always ride calm quiet and sedated. My goal being to be the ANTI-SQUID and give sport bikers a GOOD name. Trying to be the exact polar opposite of the hooligan, that most people see, and that deep inside I truly want to be [and often are outside of town away from traffic, judgemental eyes, and police, on the race track....]
Sorry my meter just pegged
laugh.gif

squid_award.jpg

(VaBusa @ Jun. 19 2007,09:40) I don't care who's next to me, as long as I'm first in line to go when the light turns green...I hate being behind traffic
biggrin.gif
Practically everyone in this area will run a red light
SHOCKED.gif
So I'm very careful about taking off at them.

(Commuta_Busa @ Jun. 19 2007,10:23) I have to admit that I did recently have one stupid moment. .. on a three lane highway with very light traffic, I was cruising about 5+ mph of the avergae cagers when a car I was coming up to wasn't getting out of my lane. I went into the middle lane to retain my cruising speed. He decided to speed up in an attempt to make it seem difficult for me to pass him. I wasn't really paying attention and just fell in behind him. Of course he then slowed back down to his normal speed. Again to retain my cruising speed I went into the other lane to pass and he again speed up. This time I took more notice and slowly rolled in a little more speed. Yes, we were both traveling above the posted limit. I wanted to see how long he would cary on like an idiot. He didn't want to yield and held steady about two car lengths ahead of me matching my speed. At this point I was tired of the stupid games.

Down three, a fist full, and a moment later he was fadding away in my mirrors. Back up to sixth and I can resume my normal cruising speed. I don't like doing stupid things like that but when pushed I'll push back.

Sorry, I know this is unrelated to a stoplights
Sounds like someone likes to watch Busas perform
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Back