How to land in a crash.

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
Ok so I was thinking about this today while I was out riding around earlier.

Assuming you even had time to react what is the best way to hit the pavement or to slide down the pavement?

For example...

If a car pulls out in front of you and you t-bone the car at a fairly high rate of speed. You then go over the top of the car and hit the pavement below.

Is it best to try to curl up in a ball?
Should you just go limp an let gravity take you?
Or should you fight it?
Or something else?

Any suggestions or experiences?

Try slowing down 1st. Why are you going at a high rate of speed if that condition is around? 2nd bend over and kiss your a$$ good bye
firedevil.gif

I really do try and "anticipate".....means more work, but after a while it becomes a natural thought process. If that doesn't work and I'm caught off-guard, last thought, "exhale"....last thing I want to be is tense and FULL of air !
super.gif

Most that have studied in any martial art know that exhaling provides organ protection through lack of compressive / expansion of the diaphragm.......lungs are empty, diaphragm is relaxed....means remembering to breathe after the fact, but the body will do that naturally if you're unconscious from impact.

Took a rear-ender on the back end of a semi parked "dark" on a snowy Wyoming highway one night to make this point. Sure my body weight cracked a couple ribs on impact with the steering wheel, but they didn't break, lungs didn't get punctured, small concussion, and I'm here to tell the story......
coolold.gif

if you see it coming just jump straight up in the air, do a flip and land matrix style

66613315_a57869a249.jpg

There is no "BEST" way to land. Generally you don't have a choice on how you land. After you hit the deck, only then do you have any control over the outcome and many times you tumble rather than slide and you have little control over that either. I try to tuck my arms and legs in during a tumble so nothing gets broken or dislocated.

How do you know if braking or swerving won't prevent the crash if you give up and lay it down.

Never give up and purposefully lay it down. Unless its something weird like no brakes...

My advice. Swerve or brake. Keep the crash from happening. If you have time to purposefully lay it down, you have time to seriously reduce your speed with maximum braking.

If you had time to react you wouldn't be going down in the first place. If you go down then it's all a matter of psychics and gear. Velocity, direction, obstacles that might change your velocity and direction, how much leather you have between you and the asphalt and whether you have a good lid on your dome are the real defining factors in this equation.

If you t bone a car more than likely u will not be going over it, you will be going through the window or making a quick stop right at the doors. If you lucky an you can hit on the side towards the front or rear of the car you get to plan your tumble or roll over the car. Instead of planning ur roll an impact try caution, anticipation of the others mistakes an avoiding. when u fill ur head with all that while riding u really won't have much time to plan ur roll. Keep it shiny side up.

If you are in full gear I think it would be better to slide and let your leather do what they can. You may get some hot spots but the less flailing around, the less beat up you'll be. If your wearing minimal gear I think it's better to roll and try not to slide to minimize road rash. JMO

ASSUMING you have already laid down and are skidding along pavement, and assuming you have good leathers... it'd be a tough choice between roll up in ball or go limp. Off the top of my head, going limp would mean more contact area with pavement which would slow you down faster and spread out the hot spots. It would however leave arms and legs exposed, which rolling up in a ball would protect more. I've seen some Moto GP races though and they spread out like a bird when they slide...
argue.gif
(two sides to argue)

Don't tense up too much, once you land try to flatten out so ya stop rollin. Not much else one can do. Pretty much just along for the ride.

not sure how i did it. but jumping off the bike worked for me.....i landed on my feet..

not sure how and dont recomend this.

Ive seen others use the limp noodle method. HAHHA

Back