Scared of riding the bike but feel fearless in the car. How to overcome?

umairhashmi

Registered
My last serious bike wreck was back in 2007 where I didn’t break any bones but lost skin being a squid with a jacket or gloves. In the last week since I have had my bike after not riding for 9 years even in the lowest power mode I am constantly worried cars will pull out in front of me to the point that it is more nerve wracking than fun. I have no problem hitting triple digit speeds in the car but on the bike I haven’t even gone over 60 mph yet in the lowest power mode. I did crash the busa once by giving it too much front brake but at least this thing has abs. How do I get over my fear that cars will pull out in front of me or cars will pull into my lane without looking and hit me?

I don't think it is good to ride in fear.

I keep my eyes open at every intersection for cars turning in my path. That may mean I move to the left side of the lane to make sure a driver turning left will see me and I move to the right side if there is a car turning right in my path. I also speed up to follow a car close in front of me (Not too close) through an intersection as not to give a car turning much room to try and turn. If a two lane I will stay side by side with other cars going through the intersection.

I was in an accident a long time ago. But when I start to get too scared or panicky that will be the end of my riding days. It is good to be cautious and know the dangers and do your best to mitigate them.

I thought about flashing my high beams when approaching an intersection but then thought the cars turning may thing I am signaling them to turn.

I don't think it is good to ride in fear.

I keep my eyes open at every intersection for cars turning in my path. That may mean I move to the left side of the lane to make sure a driver turning left will see me and I move to the right side if there is a car turning right in my path. I also speed up to follow a car close in front of me (Not too close) through an intersection as not to give a car turning much room to try and turn. If a two lane I will stay side by side with other cars going through the intersection.

I was in an accident a long time ago. But when I start to get too scared or panicky that will be the end of my riding days. It is good to be cautious and know the dangers and do your best to mitigate them.

I thought about flashing my high beams when approaching an intersection but then thought the cars turning may thing I am signaling them to turn.
When I had my first bike I rode with a buddy that made a habit of using his flash button at every intersection. I’m not sure about other places but in South Georgia when someone flashes their lights at you it means go! I had to tell him to stop doing that when I was riding near him. I too ride in fear of someone pulling out in front of me. I think it’s best to have a little fear. It keeps you alert and might help you spot trouble coming. For me it does.

When I had my first bike I rode with a buddy that made a habit of using his flash button at every intersection. I’m not sure about other places but in South Georgia when someone flashes their lights at you it means go! I had to tell him to stop doing that when I was riding near him. I too ride in fear of someone pulling out in front of me. I think it’s best to have a little fear. It keeps you alert and might help you spot trouble coming. For me it does.
Some fear is ok. That is why I said "But when I start to get too scared or panicky that will be the end of my riding days" I don't think panicky is good. You have to keep your head in a panic situation.

I have an intersection right by my house bout 1/2 mile up the road. They put stop signs on both sides of the crossing road and a little sign that says through traffic does not stop.
I’m not shitting you when i say that 1 out of 4 times I go through there, the other goddamn cars pull right out in front of me. And will make fuckin eye contact with that what you gonna do look.
There’s been a rash of missing mirrors in my county... but I digress.
Practice your emergency braking, swerving and pay attention to certain roads. You’ll start building a mental database of what areas people tend to be more reckless. Where they adhere to the traffic signs better. What roads you can smash those abs and what roads you should just drive slower on sonif they do pull out, so be it you got plenty of time. Bottom line though man, don’t push it.
I was friggin terrified for a month when I started riding. Wind turbulence making me unsteady. Throttle kinda choppy. People pulling out on my. Was watching the toad right in front of me and it seemed like I was always goin hella fast even at 30mph. It just took time in the seat for those things to wash away and my brain an body to start filtering things out in a level of importance on its own.
You’ll get there or maybe you won’t. Ain’t no shame in it either way broski.

In re: “How do I get over my fear that cars will pull out in front of me or cars will pull into my lane without looking and hit me?”

Never. So, ride like you’re invisible and turn your fear into caution, at all times when riding in traffic and in every intersection. I used to live in a city with a million other people and it took about a half hour before I got to an area where there were very few cars and intersections. Stay out of highly populated (trafficked) areas as riding is much more enjoyable out in the open anyway. Even now where I live I have to deal with traffic heading into the Park so I avoid them when possible especially on the weekends. Find some empty roads and be cautious but relieve yourself of the fear or you’ll never be comfortable on two wheels.

#1 thing I would suggest is to take the MSF course as soon as possible,it will give you your confidence back.
The way to think about other vehicles is that the driver doesn't see you,and expect them to pull out/over without looking.....that way you won't be surprised when they do.
Don't let yourself get boxed in by cars or trucks,always stay in a position where you can view the road ahead of you so you can see everything.
Fear is an emotion that does not go well with motorcycle riding,when you ride YOU are in control,not the motorcycle and not the other vehicles,so control is the feeling you are going for,not fear.........the MSF course will get that feeling back for you so you can enjoy riding again.

It takes awhile to get those reflexes back, continue to take it easy, baby steps in addition to what the others have suggested.

If there’s a rural area nearby I’d suggest riding there to the extent possible, I’ve never seen the point of keep a liter bike beast caged up in a 35-45 mph only zone with the city limits

Yes, as mentioned. Take a class for riding. In europe they offer different levels and difficulties. It helped me alot when I first started riding.(iam sure they offer tehm in the US aswell)!
They teach you in situations you would never know they could happen or even be able to train by yourself.

Besides that- avoid high traffic areas. Go either early in the morning or later in the evening when the streets are empty.
For the beginning try really remote areas where you have little distraction and get comfortable without cars around you. Try to perfect your ability to always look way ahead of you (not only for cars and people- also always focusing on the end of a curve while you are in it...)

Find a huge empty parking lot and try to do really tight turns and get some cones and try to do some slalom thru them. While you are at the lot- train hard and emergency braking - straight / fast/ slow and in curves...!

The more you ride without incidents- the more you will be comfortable and secure on the bike!

There are also tons of videos on you tube about this topic.

We have a type of training down here called 'Ride Forever'

Ive done the silver and gold courses within the last couple of years even tho ive been riding since high school , lazy habits creep in and you can always be shown and learn new things.

Amonst other important subjects most course's will have some sort of braking tuition followed up with practice in a controlled area.
Hopefully they will have advice on basic suspension set up and how this can help greatly inprove braking.

You won't nor should you ever lose that fear. But you can reduce it so it doesn't ruin the ride. You should get better with time but the big thing is getting back into the habit of reading cars intentions. Expect the unexpected and gradually you will be confident again.

It can happen, life is a crap shoot, some will never have an accident. I’m laying in the hospital tonight from a wreck, car turned left into me, I’ll never ride again due to age , and damage and wife, But I loved every moment I rode for 56 years, except for the last 2 seconds. Good luck and safe riding.

In addition to all the comments, seat time is a great equalizer to the ‘ills’ of motorcycling. When I started touring I was amazed at how much better I seemed to be as a rider as each day passed. Plot a circular route (in the country) on mostly two lanes, that takes a couple hundred miles to complete. See how your confidence rises as the miles go by. Even as many miles as I have on two wheels, I notice this happens if I ride just a couple hundred mile day rides in a row. Im much more at ease (and) a better rider on the 2nd and 3rd day. If I haven’t ridden in a week or more I can feel the difference, and I probably have over 300,000 miles on motorcycles thru eleven states. Ride it, and not just for a few miles every other weekend.

With all that said, IF after a refresher course and practice on back roads or dirt biking or in parking lots and your fear doesn't subside, hang up the helmet and boots and move onto another sport.

Sometimes knowing when to quit can save your life. When I was teaching riding courses, there were some people who just shouldn't be on a motorcycle.

I would advise them to take up another sport and have their fees reimbursed.

I ride defensive and offensive at the same time, my head is on a swivel and my eyes never stop moving, I relax slightly on country lanes but they have their own perils so I never really relax. Heads up riding and look where you want to go.

….good idea to take the advanced course or even the basic course again to help with confidence.

It can happen, life is a crap shoot, some will never have an accident. I’m laying in the hospital tonight from a wreck, car turned left into me, I’ll never ride again due to age , and damage and wife, But I loved every moment I rode for 56 years, except for the last 2 seconds. Good luck and safe riding.
off topic- would you be able to tell us what happened - maybe in a seperate topic? do you have some pictures of the aftermath (bike). I hope you are doing well giving the circumstances!

Get well soon, sorry to hear about your accident

Back