What was your worst bike crash?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Mine was when I was 18 years old. Doing 55mph, semi approaching from opposite direction and as I am almost at the semi cab, a woman in a Ford sedan pulls out to overtake the semi right in front of me. Did not even have time to touch the brakes, hit her head-on, got thrown over the car, landed on the pavement with the bike following me. Walked away with a broken helmet, a little concussion and a totaled bike.

In all these years I must have been lucky, that was the only bad accident ever and I was real lucky.

Not to mention is that I normally crash at least four times every time I do single track on the dirt bike, but that is just part of the fun. I don't think my back agrees, but you only live once.

In my video's you can see that I walk with a serious limp. Spent two years in a wheelchair ♿ and have full disabled plates / placard. Four wheeler in a car took me out never saw it till last second. High side sucks.
She hit me and broke my leg 1st then turned me sideways into a curb that spit me off. Broke my hip on landing. 300,000 later, countless surgeries, 30 hyperbaric chamber treatments.

2nd serious accident , 22 y.o riding GSXR1100G . At the bottom of a major 3 lane exit to south at the time , sitting at lights when ZX10 arrives ( pre ZX11 ) . Mutually we get set to drag race up the winding elevating exit . On the climb up , we are overtaking the bunch of cars that left the intersection before we were given green light , and it was crazy 2 x + speed limit and when I reach the top , slowed down , started to relax as I approached the beginning of side of road petrol station and pub , when a lady failed to see my bike and turned in front of my bike to cross the 3 lanes in front of me to the pub , and I T- boned into her front passenger door . I remember grabbing a heap of brake , but the bars and controls grabbed and crushed my fingers and I was catapulted over the top and both wrists were shattered , the left the worst out of it . The left leg knee down multiple shattered also and some back damage . The bike hit under the speed limit , no witness of crash except me and her , but of course many witness the very fast accent up the hill , and the pigs were on to me for this to a fair degree as you would expect .

Run off the road by some guy in an old truck. He never stopped but there was a game warden behind him who witnessed it. I had to go for a ditch beside the road. Things were going well until I hit something in the ditch flew 25 feet and landed upside down. Broken shoulder, various cuts and bruises and a torn pectoral muscle. They didn't find the broken shoulder until 3 weeks later. I told the doctor it still feels "funny". Totaled my first 1250 Bandit.

Lets see..Doing standups on my CBR900, went over backwards at about 50mph. Slid for a while on my forearms. Was wearing t-shirt and jeans. Road rash only, but WOW that sucks.

Last one was 2015. Don't really know what happened as I woke up in Boston Medical Center a day and a half later. No broken bones, but severe concussion. Lost over 24hrs of memory. This was my third major concussion requiring hospitalization, and it was bad. For about a year I would blank out and need to sleep. After about a year, it would spread out to every 3 months I would need to sleep all day. To this day, I still have lots of short term memory loss. Very frustrating

The last one probably saved my life. While in Boston, they found a tumor on my kidney. Just had it removed, and it was Stage 3 cancer. The took a chunk of my left kidney out, and now they are watching me like a hawk.

Only thing that scares me about another crash is hitting my head again.

Oh almost forgot, I hit someone on a bike while driving truck. Used to work for a trucking company as a mechanic. Was test driving a truck when all of a sudden I saw a headlight come down right in front of me at night. It was a kid on a GSXR riding a wheelie. Locked up the truck brakes and slammed him with the front bumper. Got out and couldnt find him under the truck. Thought he was gone. Ended up finding him about 15 feet off the road. His thumb had ripped through his hand and was facing the other way. Ended up suing the trucking company and getting less than $50k. He got his soon after on another bike and nearly died.

I was 17, riding my Suzuki TS185L through the suburbs and came up to an uncontrolled intersection ( + ) that I knew well.
As I approached the bike started running out of fuel, I was looking down to grab the fuel tap to shift it to 'Reserve' position, looked up and my front wheel was just into the + intersection at walking pace.
I looked to my right and a white 1970 Chrysler Valiant (Toad you know what that is eh) Taxi Cab was coming fast straight at me with blue smoke pouring off his LF tyre, that's what caught my attention.
I had just enough time to lift my right leg coz I knew within 1 second he's going to hit me.
On the impact I was catapulted 30 ft, rotated about 4 times, I saw the skyline/horizon go round and round, I hit the ground and awoke with about 6 people standing over me.
One of the people was the father of my g/friend at the time, and he went over to the taxi driver who was ranting and raving at me, and punched him fair in the nose.
I would have done the same but I could not move from the ground.
Fractured pelvis, 3 inch hairline crack in the groin area but morphine fixed the pain.
It was 6 weeks in bed at home on all sorts of drugs then 6 weeks on crutches.
Got a lot of sympathy from my girlfriend which was great, but I never want to go through that again!
I got done for 'failing to give way to my right even though that taxi's skid marks were 120 yards long...approx 60mph in a 30 mph zone. :mad::redface:

I only had one and I hope that's the only one I ever have. I thought it would be fun to teach my siter-inlaw how to ride my Kaw Vulcan 900. I sat on the passenger seat and got it rolling reaching over her. From there, she grabbed each grip between her finger and thumb like she was holding a cookie or something. I could see this wasn't going to go well. She had the throttle open just a crack but she was not attempting to steer at all. The bike swung back and forth across the road making increasingly bigger arcs. I could not reach around her to the grips with both hands with her sitting up. I think I did consider the kill switch but I'm sure that would have locked up the rear wheel and we would have dumped it on the pavement if I took that option. I was able to grab the clutch but it pinched her fingers and would not fully disengage. The bike leapt forward as I let the clutch out and it went off into the wet, muddy ditch where we went down.

The bike was completly fine. We were uninjured except her earring cut her earlobe a bit and she burned her ankle on the exhaust. I didn't want to say anything when we got back. Since my wife was there and her sister and I were noticeably uneasy, covered in mud and one of us had a bloody ear, I decided it best to spill my guts before other assumptions were made.

The whole thing was incredibly stupid. I can't believe I ever entertained the thought of teaching someone by throwing them on the rider seat of a bike with it moving.

First time broke my right femur in 5 places and have a permanent rod from hip to knee with 13 screws(drunk kid ran me over).Second was on my new '02 Busa when a car pulled out in front of me and I T-boned him at 60 mph.Went 90' through the air and landed face first(and according to witnesses bounced about 6' in the air)and woke up several days later on a respirator.That one broke my pelvis,left hand,nose,teeth,30 stitches across my forehead(even with a full face Shoei),large hole in my left shin,ruptured my bladder,etc.Spent 8 weeks in the hospital on my back with an external fixator clamping my pelvis together and went home to a hospital bed and wheelchair,took me a few more weeks to start walking again.Got some insurance money and bought a new('03)Busa.:laugh::super: Still have my 2011 Busa and last year bought a Honda CRF 450R dirt bike(thing is a beast!)to play around on,haven't managed to jack myself up on that thing yet but you kinda know it's only a matter of time(and I'll be 65 in June,no fool like an old fool :laugh:).

Wow bringing some reality to riding.

Stay safe out there guys and gals.

We all love riding that is why we are here. When I was 19 I got a 02 GSXR600 and I had to be one one tire all the time wheelie or endo. Out practicing on a empty highway. Took bike up to 70-80 grabed the front brake to ride on the front wheel to much to fast. And flipped it right on my skull with the bike to follow woke up in the dark had to be at least 2 hours later picked my bike up and rode home. So lucky could of been run over in the dark. One of two times I have split a helmet the other time on dirt.

I broke both pinkie fingures when I was rear ended last year! Emt asked if I wanted a ride to the hospital. I told her, sure as long as u make it look I was bleeding out of my eyes! No way I was going to go in an ambulance for that!
Thank God I have not had a serious accident on the street, Broke my poop many times on dirt bikes! But that is the norm.
Troy

Wow bringing some reality to riding.

Stay safe out there guys and gals.

We all love riding that is why we are here. When I was 19 I got a 02 GSXR600 and I had to be one one tire all the time wheelie or endo. Out practicing on a empty highway. Took bike up to 70-80 grabed the front brake to ride on the front wheel to much to fast. And flipped it right on my skull with the bike to follow woke up in the dark had to be at least 2 hours later picked my bike up and rode home. So lucky could of been run over in the dark. One of two times I have split a helmet the other time on dirt.

Sheesh! A GSXR600 and only 19... disaster waiting to happen by the sounds of it.
I hope you don't try that poop on ya Busa lol!!

I broke both pinkie fingures when I was rear ended last year! Emt asked if I wanted a ride to the hospital. I told her, sure as long as u make it look I was bleeding out of my eyes! No way I was going to go in an ambulance for that!
Thank God I have not had a serious accident on the street, Broke my poop many times on dirt bikes! But that is the norm.
Troy
I also have had a lot of dirt bikes, luckily I was a reasonably smart rider and only tried stuff that I knew I could pull off without crashing badly. Went trail riding on my KTM 990 Adventure a few years ago, was too unfit to really get into it... those things are soooo heavy! I survived and now have the Busa with FULL respect :super::thumbsup:

Wow, that's a lot of crashes I just read here in the thread.
Sobering.
A good friend of mine was riding like a looney past the garage I was working at in Nov 2014 and it was a wet road, the rain had stopped but very wet and slippery.
He was DUI (on whiskey, idiot)
He was a big risk taker anyway, the booze exacerbated it., and was on a 96 GSXR1100, spinning the rear wheel under full power up the street showing off, with a T intersection ahead.
Well he f%*d it up, locked up the front and laid it down, hit the curb and it threw him high in the air.
When he landed he suffered extensive internal injuries, organs were torn etc.
The Ambulance took 50 mins to get to the scene.
He lasted 3 days in Hospital, blood poisoning killed him in the end.
THAT was sobering.
I slowed down A LOT after that.

Pulling wheelie when I was 13 years old on 160 Honda. Fell over while pulling said wheelie doing 40 mph just a tee shirt on. Pulled skin on top of my left arm from 2 inches from my wrist to 3 inches from crease in my arm. Dr had to stretch the skin for an hour. thought he was going to have to graft skin off my ass to make it work!!!:eek: Now that scared me. Never pulled another wheelie.:shocked:

2015 July-Friday on my way to work. Stoped at a red light when i got it green a pulled away first to get out between the cars and Tboned a lady in her Mercedes busy talking on her cellphone skipping the red light. (Before her 2 or 3 other cars also skipped red, 6 lane intersection, did not see her as she passed cars standing in a quee in 3 other lanes) Hit her on the front passenger door, bike with me still on swung left hitting her again on the rear passenger door and the rear tire went over my foot. So foot broke on the bridge in 6 different places and torn my left shoulder muscle but not so hard. Was in a wheelchair for couple of weeks till the shoulder was in such condition that i could use crutches- but my foot kept me down from end July until bigining of December. Have 2 plates and 8 screws in it and still sometimes i cant move my toes lol. That was my first and last accident on a Gen1 Busa. But had a couple of falls etc on my dirtbike in the mountains-but just scratches blue marks lol

Back