How was your very first ride? What bike?

sleepless_red

The artist formerly known as "sleeper_red"
Donating Member
Registered
Mine went something like this. Took the MSF course in August of '05. I bought a used '01 R1 (first bike) from a good friend of mine two months after taking the course. He delivered it to my house at like 8:00 pm. The only reason he rode it to my house was that he wanted to ride it for the last time. I couldn't sleep that night. I was up until like 12:30 am. Was able to sleep until 4:45. Took the bike out around the neighborhood for about 15 minutes to get the feel of the controls and everything. At 5:00am, I was on the highway and rode until about 6:30 am because I had to get my daughter ready for school. After dropping her off, I rode for like 150 miles. I had no experience on a bike prior to taking the MSF course. Never even pushed the starter button on a bike in my life. I will be celebrating my 3rd year of riding in October of this year and so far, I have a little over 76,000 miles under my belt. Feel really lucky for not dropping the bike. Not even once.

Not counting a mini bike, my first ride was a 1971 Suzuki X-6 Hustler. Got it in the spring of 1975 right after I got out of high school for the grand price of $325. It was a 250cc 2 stroke twin with a 6 speed transmission and drum brakes. According to the press at the time it would go 105 mph, looking back it was probably a good thing it wouldn't.
Got my motorcycle license on it and had a good time with it until it finally lost the rest of it's compression by the end of the summer (along with several other maladies) and wheezed to a halt.
Fun while it lasted.:laugh:

In 1983 my uncle lived out of town, and was selling his Yamaha Exciter 250, so he had to leave it at our house(we live in the city).
We had it for about a week, and so my dad showed me how to ride it, since he knew I always wanted a bike.
I drove it up and down our street(about 100m) without a care in the world(I think I got up to 25mph) until someone called the cops. I was 12, and had no helmet, but since we were on a private road, the cops couldn't do anything, except ask me to stop. My dad made me stop. The good old days(I learned to drive standard on public roads when I was 8).

Well, not counting MANY dirtbikes. My '86 GSXR 750 I bought brand new in Jan '87 was my 1st streetbike when I was 19yrs old. I rode it 1000mi the 1st weekend I owned it...:laugh:

yea not counting the dirtbikes...my first street bike was a 1974 KZ900 that i bought when i was 15 and fixed it up. you know it had a wide open kerker on it !!:laugh:

My first bike was a Kawasaki GPz 550. Great little bike. I had not ever rode a street bike on the street, just dirt bikes so I was nervous. I got it home and when I sold it I had 24000 miles on it. I wish I had kept the bike, it was in perfect condition.

well the k8 is my first street bike. I bought it in Dec. and finally on Feb 1st, I couldn't take it anymore and went and put 1 mile on the bike. it was 22 degrees outside when I first rode her.
Along with many of you, besides the dirtbikes...my first motorcycle ride was my dads road star 1600 when I was 15. I was nervous as h3ll!!!

seems to me it was a Honda Cub, friend of mine got it new for his Bday and let me ride it all the time.. Maybe 1965 or so? that had to have been 30 or so bikes ago..
Had a lot more dirt bikes than street bikes over the years..

my first real hot rod street bike I bought new was a CB750F in around 79 or so..

1st Ride ( 12 yrs old ) Old style Honda 50 ( looked like todays Moped ) would do a top speed of 45 mph screaming, Me and that bike went to hell and bike more than a couple times, Lived in the country so I tried to make it a dirt bike. Poor Poor Bike

And now THE BUSA Came along way

Back