Scared of riding the bike but feel fearless in the car. How to overcome?

Take a course, do some track days, drag a knee while backing it in a double apex turn. When you master that, have some pie. Riding on a street afterwards will be like the pie.

Be one with the pie

Caution and apprehension will save your life. Fear will get you killed.

All depends on the circumstances, caution and apprehension can get you killed as quickly as fear. Knowing how to react and overcome fear can save your life as well.

Caution and apprehension and fear can all cause you to hesitate in certain situations which could have drastic results..

Over-confidence and ignorance can get you killed as well and these traits are as common as being cautious and fearful.

There has to be a balance of caution, fear, confidence (in your and your vehicle's capability) and knowledge/experience.

Just my $0.02 though.

Tire conditions (ie: uneven wear), improper suspension setup can both transform a bike and help with confidence. Not sure how those are in your case.

I stoped riding for about 5 years after a 90mph head on collision with a car. My bike was totaled on impact but my body finished off the car. Walked away with minor rash from it. Took a while to get used to the bike again. When I bought my bike it was not setup at all! Needed tires and eventually re-spring the forks for my weight. This made a world of difference on how the bike reacted. I used to ride track a lot, however I never took a street riding “msf “ course. Very informative and recommended if you have not done one. All that said, don’t be afraid of the bike, but understand your abilities. More seat time and proper setup will get you where you want to be.

And next time........ start with pie. Bribery of pie will get you far! Lol

All depends on the circumstances, caution and apprehension can get you killed as quickly as fear. Knowing how to react and overcome fear can save your life as well.

Caution and apprehension and fear can all cause you to hesitate in certain situations which could have drastic results..

Over-confidence and ignorance can get you killed as well and these traits are as common as being cautious and fearful.

There has to be a balance of caution, fear, confidence (in your and your vehicle's capability) and knowledge/experience.

Just my $0.02 though.
I conceptualize caution and apprehension as preceding a specific situation, part of the planning and preparation phase. Fear is what can happen as that same situation is unfolding, and that's what I see as dangerous.
I agree completely that overconfidence can be deadly, an that there has to be a balance, I just don't think fear should be part of the equation.

I conceptualize caution and apprehension as preceding a specific situation, part of the planning and preparation phase. Fear is what can happen as that same situation is unfolding, and that's what I see as dangerous.
I agree completely that overconfidence can be deadly, an that there has to be a balance, I just don't think fear should be part of the equation.

I now understand what you are saying and agree.

I have used fear to my advantage at times, it helps heighten the senses. I'm not talking stark, uncontrollable fear though.

I get the caution and apprehension thing as I still get the "butterflies in the stomach" thing once in a while.

Such great input here! +1 to everything said (except maybe hanging up those spurs). I always suggest lowering your expectations when driving or riding. Normally you'd expect those other drivers to stay in their lane, stop at the red light, see you coming, etc. But if you presume every other object on the road is going to do precisely the wrong thing at the wrong time, your preparation is improved at the very least. And of course, the more seat time you log, the more the bike becomes an extension of you, the more confidence you have. While riding, I find myself asking, "what am I gonna do if that car, that truck, that pedestrian decides to ... (do the unexpected wrong thing at the wrong time). I don't always have an immediate answer, but I'm thinking about it, searching for that safe path out, and, over time, all that thinking and searching improves your "database" of possible solutions.

Practice + Confidence + Preparation = Successful Evasive Maneuvers

I would tend to agree with all of the posts here, and would underline the @Mr Brown @Yellow09 discussion on the practical application of the fear emotion.

Last edited:
Such great input here! +1 to everything said (except maybe hanging up those spurs). I always suggest lowering your expectations when driving or riding. Normally you'd expect those other drivers to stay in their lane, stop at the red light, see you coming, etc. But if you presume every other object on the road is going to do precisely the wrong thing at the wrong time, your preparation is improved at the very least. And of course, the more seat time you log, the more the bike becomes an extension of you, the more confidence you have.
Confidence + Preparation = Successful Evasive Maneuvers

You always have to face the reality it might be time to hang up the helmet...especially if all the other avenues fail. It shouldn't be your first course of action but it should be something prepared for.

Better to be alive and not riding than the alternative.

I now understand what you are saying and agree.

I have used fear to my advantage at times, it helps heighten the senses. I'm not talking stark, uncontrollable fear though.

I get the caution and apprehension thing as I still get the "butterflies in the stomach" thing once in a while.
Agreed.

Just my $0.02 though.

This is quite similar to shoot don’t shoot circumstances that some of us are very aware of. One’s mind has to be prepared to act (before) the ‘challenge’ or the results can be disastrous.

You always have to face the reality it might be time to hang up the helmet...especially if all the other avenues fail. It shouldn't be your first course of action but it should be something prepared for.

Better to be alive and not riding than the alternative.

Well said, total agreement, certainly as it pertains to street riding. A Risk/Benefit assessment, no doubt

I would also like to add that you should read Twist of Wrist 2 I think the fact that Keith Code addresses the mental aspect of riding by discussing the survival reactions and I think if you recognize those and work on those it will help make you a better rider no doubt.

I would also like to add that you should read Twist of Wrist 2 I think the fact that Keith Code addresses the mental aspect of riding by discussing the survival reactions and I think if you recognize those and work on those it will help make you a better rider no doubt.
I read the originaly twist of the wrist back in 2006. I remember a paragraph saying an engine used for braking will break. Funny how times and technology have changed.

+1

One thing the MSF screws up IMO(and of the YCRS staff) is that they tell you not to cover your brake lever, I was riding before I went to MSF and always instinctually covered the front brake lever but when my instructor saw this she would tap my hand right hand but at the end of the class she said I was top of the class ?? Talk about mixed messages haha.

As someone else mentioned, if I were to ever feel that I couldn't control my motorcycle correctly I would not ride. Some confidence is needed or you will always be second guessing yourself and that is definitely not safe, move with authority and look where you are going. I personally never like to be near cars but here in NYC its unavoidable sometimes so when I'm splitting or have vehicles near me I try to keep an eye on the front wheels of the cars that can potentially come in my path. Another thing that has helped me greatly is going into a parking lot and stopping as fast as possible from 70mph to know how hard you can brake without throwing yourself over the bars, do it enough and it will be second nature a experienced rider SHOULD always outbrake a car.

Last edited:
I am no professional rider but to overcome my fears I took a motorcycle riding class at the beginning of my riding and that helped me alot. I been riding about 15 ish years and started with 1-5 miles a day. Then i went full time within past 5 years and now ride 275 miles a week. And all i ride is a motorcycle. My biggest fear is still putting the knee all the way down, i have so many miles in but yet i fear dropping the knee all the way down, thats my only fear left i have to overcome, reason i fear that is most likely because i am sure i need to take a course for taking turns , there must be something i am doing wrong still, last time i tried the bike nearly slid away from me, i have many near falls lol. But soon ill take that course as for the overall riding experience in Los Angeles heavy freeway traffics and near cut offs and all, i overcame that by just being aware of your surrounding Be 100% confident! be in complete control of your bike and dont let the bike control you. Think few steps ahead on what may happen and be ready for anything as your riding but at same time have fun and enjoy the ride.

Love to be able to “put the knee down” ! Problem is it’s impossible to even sit cross legged so it’s not going to happen. Still remember taking heat in public school when we gathered in the gym and were told to sit cross legged on the floor. As such I’m always a little more conservative than the average bear when I’m entering a corner....

Back