Do you look in the mirrors?

Always look in the mirrors. At least until a car pulls up and comes to a complete stop, but even then I glance at them just to be safe.
wink.gif
+1

Always leave the bike in first at junctions, check mirrors as I come to a stop and while I am stopped.

I also have a rear brake light with a variable strobe, hopefully that catches the eye of some drivers.

<!--EDIT|DAB
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147887515 -->

i dont have mirrors so i turn around til the car coming behind stops. anytime im slowing down to make a turn i use my blinker, turn around to see if anyone is behind me, if so then before i slow down i tap on the brakes 4 or 5 times to catch their attention.

The absolute SCARIEST thing to me riding anywhere is when I have to stop suddenly because a car in front of me has to stop suddenly and another car is behind me. If I know somebody is behind me I freak. I simultaneously grab the brakes and look in my mirror to see if they're stopping too. If they aren't stopping its time to figure out where I can go (out of their way) so they'll hit the car in front of me ... instead of me.

I look around to see an out in case the car behind is NOT going to stop. I've had to pull on the side pavement on the interstate a couple of times ... so far (knocking on wood ... my head in this case) ... I haven't had to take the ditch on a narrow country road.

I always keep an eye in my mirror ... especially in traffic.

Yeah, I watch my mirrors at intersections and usually tap my front brake lever a few times when a car is approaching my 6.
OK how do you determine that your rear is your 6? I just watched a long show about planes dog fighting and they kept using the term 6 or 6:00. After a while I figured out they were talking about being on the tail of another plane, but how would that position relate to a clock?

Yeah, I watch my mirrors at intersections and usually tap my front brake lever a few times when a car is approaching my 6.
OK how do you determine that your rear is your 6? I just watched a long show about planes dog fighting and they kept using the term 6 or 6:00.  After a while I figured out they were talking about being on the tail of another plane, but how would that position relate to a clock?
When looking directly at an analog clock the top is 12 the bottom is 6....now lay it down flat and 12 points to the front and 6 points to the rear.

At the stop light, the bike is in gear, look in the mirrors, pump the brake light a few times when a car approaches and have a way out if they don't stop

Yes always checking the mirrors when coming to a stop and until someone stops behind me. I checked them once and saw a car sliding up behind me, dropped the clutch and lurched to the left as he skidded past me.

Yes always checking the mirrors when coming to a stop and until someone stops behind me.  I checked them once and saw a car sliding up behind me, dropped the clutch and lurched to the left as he skidded past me.
Did the same thing on I-5 years ago to avoid becoming a sandwich between the parked car and the van skidding out of control at me, but I just went between the stopped traffic and got totally out of the area.

Back