Do you look in the mirrors?

MrGxr

Donating Member
Registered
The day was wonderful... sun was out, it was about 75F and the skies were clear. I head up to the mountains for lunch and some twisties. On the way back to work, yes I was thinking why go back, but I was heading back I am cruising down the highway doing the speed limit when I see this chopper coming onto the road. I pull over in the left lane and open the right lane for him. He pulls on but doesn't catch up, so I pull back over to the right lane.
About a mile or so down the road there is the stop light and it turns red. I come to a stop and look in my mirrors to see where the chopper is when I see him swerve over to the left lane rather quickly... I move from the left mirror to the right mirror and see this blue car turning sideways and become aware of a screeching noise....
The intersection is open so I rather quickly move out into the intersection against the red light... I am halfway across when I look back into the mirrors to find the blue car stopped on top of the spot I was just in.
The chopper pulls through the intersection with me and we do the typical are you ok deal and decide its not worth the time to stop and talk with the person behind the wheel of the car... we just motor on at a slower than posted speed continuing to talk about what just happened and we decide we were lucky this day.

Meanwhile the light has turned green and the blue car has not moved from where it stopped. The guy on the chopper and I slow down even more both thinking we should go back and see what is going on, when the car starts to pull forward. We decide to keep going and let them worry about what just happened.

Didn't really hit me till I was back here at work, when all of a sudden I realize I was almost a hood ornament if I had not been looking in the mirrors for the chopper. I am now and forever more going to look in the mirrors while at stop light or stop sign.

All this just to say...
When you come to a stop at a light or stop sign... PLEASE look in the mirrors and watch what is coming from behind. Just last year we lost rider cause a drunk ran him down while parked at light, so drunk he didn't even know he hit anything and kept going.

Take care and keep the rubber down...

george

<!--EDIT|MrGxr
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147817312 -->

Always look in the mirrors. At least until a car pulls up and comes to a complete stop, but even then I glance at them just to be safe.
wink.gif

I definitely peep the mirrors!! I don't understand how those that remove the mirrors ride around in traffic w/o them. I have the mirrors off presently (getting the kanji mirror turn signal mod) and I'm very hesitant to take AiRazor out.

I'm constantly checking my mirrors for the idiots that misjudge their stopping distance.

Be easy!

I'm always pulling my arms in and looking in both mirrors, it seems, ESPECIALLY at a stop sign.
You did good, it's a good driving habit to get into, try to always have an escape route in mind should the need present it's self!

I stop off to the drivers side whenever possible and I live in my mirrors, clutch in, First gear, ready to roll until I have a few people behind me stopped.

I split the cars that are stopped and then look in the mirriors for other cars. If Im on the line by my self then I keep the bike in gear with my hand on the brake( so the cagers see the light ) and watch the mirriors.

It's common sense. Bike first gear and I don't stop looking in my rear view mirrors until there are at least 3 stopped cars to act as a cushion. If it's a stoplight on a highway my eyes never leave the mirrors no matter how many cars are in-between...nothing will stop a semi. Same rules apply when I'm in the cage too.

I do a lot of driving and there's rarely a day that goes by that I don't see at least one rear end collision (saw a nice one yesterday). If you want a real eye opener, go visit any junk yard and you'll see half the cars ended up there due to the trunks being relocated to the back seats.

I always check my mirrors when in town
tounge.gif
, but out of town. What's behind me is behind me, it doesn't count, cause it just gets smaller
race.gif

I always pay attention to traffic, especially at intersections, and that includes using the mirrors. Just have to be vigilant.

I always check my mirrors, for cars who may not see me and the law who may be just catching up to me....

Yeah, I watch my mirrors at intersections and usually tap my front brake lever a few times when a car is approaching my 6.

I also always check my mirrors, whether stopped or moving. Yeah, it usually requires moving my elbows somewhat (still need to get those mirror extenders) but I don't trust what might be behind me (not paying attention).

I ALWAYS chack my mirrors! The other precaution I take as I'm pulling to a stop is to pick out an excape route. There is no use looking for vehicles that can't stop in time if you have nowhere to go to get out of the way.

this is exactly why I went with GSXR mirrors. Better view to the rear. The stock Busa mirrors are just to short.

hogger...

117_1758.JPG

Always cover your humps anyway you can.
It's tales like this that make me feel good that I leave most everything in my 6 O'clock.
20 over anywhere on a busa just sounds safe to me.
No one in front or behind.

I always check the mirrors. I also tap the breaks a few times when I see someone coming behind me. Can never be too cautious or safe.

Use my mirrors a lot at stops and have a BACKOFF Module installed and still wonder if I'll ever be plowed into
rock.gif

Back