Highside sucks

Dang Micheal! I can not believe that you walked away AND then you and Lisa were up and in our driveway the next morning! You are a walking advertisement for gear. :)

Been there, done that. It happens so fast there is nothing you can do. Not fun! Having good gear is the key and you most definitely did. I still road rashed up the entire right side of my hip when I got bucked off.

Glad your ok !

I was ok at first, due to the fact Michael was walking around and seemed ok ... that is, until I picked up his helmet and saw the chunks missing from the top of it. Sorry, but that's a scary sight. All in all - it was the best case scenario and I've said a lot of thank you prayers.

I had a chance to swap a set of forks, upper triple & axle tonight. I already have another set of wheels on. The good news is the forks aren't bent. It is still off, slightly, so it must be the lower triple.

While test riding in the neighborhood I had the chance to get on the throttle pretty hard. It started the bogging & then some very violent jerks when it received fuel. That is definately what caused the tire to break loose. I was out of the corner & straightening up when it happened. I never went off the track so I know I was heading straight.

I was running Michelin slicks w/ only 3 heat cycles on them & have never had an issue w/ them so much as pushing.
I usually have the throttle locked coming out of a corner & have never had any tire issues w/ the 600RR like I did my RC-51.

She is already under construction & will back & ready soon. :beerchug:

WOW! And you talk so casual about it...

Track day style riding is good for the track and that has become my personal montra. Too many obstacles and foreign objects to 'reach out and touch ya' off track. Admirable to see someone be smart about riding aggresive-place, time, gear. Good on you for taking it seriously and thank goodness you could walk away!

I don't know about Texas but up here the michelins don't work for beans. I have no idea why but every fast guy that has tried to race on michelins wads their bike. Our number one plate holder was sponsored by michelin and he crashed so many times he didn't even place the following year. Another one of our fastest guys was also sponsored by michelin and he crashed all three of his bikes and told michelin to go fly a kite.

All the fast guys up here are on Dunlop 211's which seems to be the tire if you want to compete. This past race weekend a new track record in the unlimited, 750 and 600 class. All three on 211's. Side grip on these tires is simply unbelievable. Expensive ($480 a set) but they seem to work better than anything else.

I'm glad your OK. My next issue is that you don't seem all fired up about getting rid of that bog. That would be my #1 fix before I race again. It shouldn't be bogging like that so something is seriously wrong. Fix it before you go out again. Also, can you let us know what fixes it? Good Luck! I still can't believe you came away injury free from a highside. Awesome!!

I'm glad your OK. My next issue is that you don't seem all fired up about getting rid of that bog. That would be my #1 fix before I race again. It shouldn't be bogging like that so something is seriously wrong. Fix it before you go out again. Also, can you let us know what fixes it? Good Luck! I still can't believe you came away injury free from a highside. Awesome!!

It is definately my 1st concern. I have Seafoam in the tank hoping to clear it up & a back up engine I will be swapping injectors to see if that helps. Any input would be greatly appreciated. It is normal until you go wide open throttle then it bogs (like a carb. bike w/ bad air mix) no power & then jerks back to life. It is very violent. It seems to happen in the 9K+ range.

As for Michelin, I have never had a problem w/ them so much as pushing except on my RC-51. I have a set of Dunlop slicks on there now to try out.

I'm sure you've already thought about this, but to me your bog sounds like a lean condition. Might want to check that direction; injector pulse in that rpm range (injected, I presume), obstruction in fuel system anywhere from tank to cylinder, even air intake, etc. Good Luck! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Last edited:
Glad your alright bro... looks like you had a long slide... Proof that leathers and protection in general WORK!

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Spent yesterday tearing bike apart & I find a tiny little black wire off to the side under the battery tray. It is the ground wire for the Power Commander. Apparently it came loose & that caused my issues.

Put proper connector on wire & attached to battery, rerouted the harness & insulated everything properly to prevent any future issues. All perfect on the the test flight. No surging all the way to redline. :cheerleader:

Thanks Adam (Rubber2burn) for the assistance w/ the "custom" rear subframe straightening ... & the Shiner Bock :beerchug:

WOW!!!! Nice find on the repair. Looks like you will have a really good running ride now. smooth as a babys bottom! Good Luck!

Back