Hi guys, hey need some input

DreaminBusa

Registered
Hi guys, im a rookie to these forums. How are ya? Im 20 years old, and Im from Perry County, Ohio.

Well heres my little problem, well maybe not problem, but what Im thinking about.

Last Summer, I had dreams of owning my very first street bike, but was not able to unfortunately because of financial issues.

Ive grown up around them since I was just a baby, my dad drag raced them for many years, the pro stocks(big ass slick in the rear) aside from that, he road sport bikes and cruisers. He still rides, but doesnt drag race anymore.

Well theres some of the build up in the history of my dilema, now I suppose I should tell you what the present part of it is. Ive recently come across a great job this year, and will probably have the money to buy whatever I wish. Well, for a few years, my dad used to take me trail riding with his friends, they mostly had quads, and I usually rode a DR125, and occasionally his 250x modified quad. So as far as real experience goes, thats just about it. Ive rode on a friends street bike a couple times, but Its not highly modified, or capable of 190mph lol.

Now out of all the bikes Ive looked at, of course I love the busa, no doubt about that, but I also dont mind the GSR series of bikes. However, I did read the entire topic about being a first timer and wanting a busa, and Im sorry but I dont think I would be able to stand the SV650, the looks alone are enough to make me gag. Now I understand that looks shouldnt be everything while Im learning, but I guess Im just that type of person, heh. Gotta have some attitude doesnt it?
smile.gif

I desperately want to be able to own a bike this summer, and I am willing to go through any course to better my skills. I consider myself, just based on how I drive my car, and dirtbike/quad, cautious, easy going, but as soon as the road/trails start throwing curves, I love to play. But of course, for me to want to play, I half to have 100% confidence in my skills to do whatever it is that Im gonna do. I dont consider myself an Idiot, you, as well as I, of course like to play now and then. Everyone does.

Im sorry if I was a little to "in depth" but Ive really developed a passion to follow in my fathers footsteps. I wanna ride. I live pretty much in the middle of no where in Ohio, and the road from my house is nothing but about 12miles of hills and curves, its a blast in my car. But thats not enough, I want to own this road on 2 wheels now. And I want to be able to ride with ole dad someday.

Well, sorry for the long post guys, its just that when I get tuned into something, its all I can think about, and It gets to the point where Im about tearing the hair outta my head if I dont get someone else's opinion. So lemme know whats on yer mind if ya could, and Ill be lookin forward to your replies...

Welcome to the forum!  

Busa as your first street bike? I would never recommend that but it sounds like your head's in the right place.
smile.gif
Only you can REALLY know if you have the judgement and self-discipline to ease into street life on a Hayabusa. You've read the issues and dirt bike experience is very good--riding dynamics are similar on or off road but... hazardous situations can develop very fast on the street (especially during a "spirited" Busa ride). If your survival knowledge and actions/reactions have become "instinctive", you may have a glorious experience. If not, you may become another sad statistic. Speaking of statistics, the MAJORITY of fatal bike wrecks happen during the first year of street riding.
down.gif
Think about it...!

Good luck.

DreaminBusa,

WELCOME!
biggrin.gif

I would say "Go for it!" As long as you take it slow and learn the ropes you will be fine. You need to lose the "I want to own this 12-mile road on 2-wheels attitude!"

That is what will cause you to go down. Take it easy, learn the ropes and have fun. You can't go out expecting to blast 200MPH and drag the pegs first time out, that stuff will come with time and experience!

If you aren't sure about your skills, take the MSF course to get you more familiar with the street manners. I started on dirt bikes like you and went right to the bigger street bikes so it's not a problem for some. I have had a lot of hours on motorcycles though!

Coming from your shoes, I would call your insurance company before you do anything. For guys like us under 25, that is usually the deciding factor. I would have a list of bikes ready when you call for quotes because you are going to be shocked!
wow.gif

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Also how far from Dayton are you? Maybe we can meet up and ride if you get a bike?

Josh
blues.gif

banner2.jpg

Well......you are 20, and ya sound level headed.
If you start on a Busa.....be very careful, its a li'l easier to get into trouble on one of these than an SV650.
Respect the power, and be careful.

Take the MSF course first...it'll help build riding skills and good habits...

I'm sort of a minority here in that I didn't have a lot of riding experience before buying the Busa...as much as I wished I had, I didn't grow up riding...I started riding when I turned 30, bought a brand new Harley and dropped it twice...took the course and did fine after that...

I found the Hayabusa and decided I wanted one...just 2500 miles behind me in total experience, I went ahead and bought it, and have no regrets...it's all in what you're willing to risk should you get in over your head. You sound like you're putting a lot of thought in to this, so if you're serious, take the class and go for it...just take your time and don't let the ego-trip that often goes along with sport bikes go to your head...

I did drop my Busa a few times in my driveway (bike's too tall for me and has been lowered since), and it cost me about $1000 to replace damaged plastic...should you drop it, it's not cheap to fix...

Think long and hard about what this will cost you (insurance included!), and just take your time...good luck...
cool.gif

You seem to have a level head, but most do until they get out with a crowd or want to test the bike to its MAX. I would reccomend starting out on a 600cc or 750. These bikes are more then enough power these days. The big reason to start out with one of these bikes is insurance costs. then move up into something after you have a proven riding record...

Well you read the first time forum. All the old timer here will say start small & cheep. Like VA says, it costs big dineros to fix a scratched up busa.

I teach auto shop & also recommend used, small & cheep. I hear one or 2 of my students a year have a friend die on these things. (Bikes)

Please be careful & read my sig!

Welcome to the site..... Sounds like you've given this a lot of thought! It appears to me you use your noggin alittle more than some folks your general age. So, lets talk shop. Why not start with a gsxr750? You could hone your riding skills and master the basics. Then after the summer is over start your hunt for a Busa! Remember, the size of the motor doesn't always equate to who crosses the finish line first... Depending on your ability and Financial means will depend on when/if you make the leap to something bigger. In the mean time relax and soak up the scenery with the little brother of a Busa.....

Thx for the feedback everyone. I appreciate it. Itll probably take me at least a month or 2 before I can actually go out shopping. So I should have plenty of time to think this totally through.

To answer a question: My work is on the way to Dayton, but not quite there heh, its around Hilliard. That drive is like an hour and 20mins, so to Dayton, Im not 100% sure, but Id say it could maybe be a couple hour drive?

Theres like 4 dealers relatively close to me, but I think only 2 of them actually sell Suzuki's. Maybe I can get the 2 companies to fight for my business since there pretty close to each other
biggrin.gif
hehe, well anyways, thx again guys, gotta head to work.

Welcome to the site...now go get a safe riding course and than go get that bad A$$ Busa your dreaming off, but be careful.
smile.gif

Welcome to the site Dreamin. Good to see another Ohio guy. I'm about 170 miles south east near Upper Sandusky, Ohio (not to be confused with Sandusky, Ohio)

Good to see you asking questions, cause the Busa can be a real beast if you don't respect it. I can say from personal experience that I made a good choice by starting with a 600 first. But I was pretty poor when I was younger so I loved that I didn't buy a toy that strapped me for the little cash I had.

I'm sure you'll go where your heart takes you with your bike purchase, so whatever you get, ride safe. You can die riding a bicycle if your not careful, so respect what you get and you'll do OK.

cool.gif

Level head and all, think about this. If you start out at the top, where do you go from there. If you ever want a second ride, you will definately be biased becuase of what you already have whereas if you start off a bit smaller and perfect your riding skills you will have that much more fun when you do eventually get a busa. but like was stated earlier, only you know yourself and what you will do with it. Atleast your asking first

Yep...your insurance will be takin a big chunk outta that paycheck.

With regards to the busa...NE is exactly right. Most people are level-headed when there is no challenge present. Sometimes riding with the pack causes young riders (young as in riding experience) to err on the side of irresponsibility. THAT'S when you get hurt...and get hurt fast.

Think it's only the Busa that can hurt you quickly? You should know that the 600s and 750s are packing quite a bit of punch...they too can get you real hurt real fast. Just be safe, bro.

Remember: the busa will be around for a while....just make sure you're still around to appreciate it.

Don't do it. It is an absoulty stupid idea for a 20 year-old. Even if you don't kill yourself, this bike will scare the hell out of you.

Ride for about 5 years and then go for it. In the mean time get a 2002 Honda Interceptor for 7K and enjoy the sport. Plenty fast, handles on a rail, and looks great.

Good luck if you buy a bus, however -- and you've probably already bought one -- you'll need it.

Don't do it.  It is an absoulty stupid idea for a 20 year-old.  Even if you don't kill yourself, this bike will scare the hell out of you.
What?
rock.gif

Not everyone is young and dumb!

I bought my first street bike when I was 18, a 1998 CBR900RR. Then I moved up to a 2000 R1 when I was 19. Just before I turned 21, I bought a 2001 Busa and had no problems at all!

The only problem was I wished I had bought the Busa a long time ago!
super.gif

Scare the HELL out of a 20-year old.......ha....that's to funny! I'm now 23 and wish my bike was faster now. I crack the throttle wide F'n open and whip it for more every time I ride. I just wish I could afford to invest and buy a Turbo at the same time!

DreaminBusa,

Just take it slow and you'll be fine!

Josh
pirate.gif

haha, you guys seem to be pushin the insurance side of things, I know its probably none of my business, but what figures, say... like every 6 months would I be lookin at? My car insurance is around 400$ on a 6month spread.

Also, if i were to buy like a gsx-r 6-750, or hell, even a Katana, would the difference in insurance, price wise be that much of a gap? I knew insurance would be somewhat high, from jus talkin to my dad, but he said it was basically because insurance companies see motorcycles as like a leisure, for fun, or whatever, and thats why the prices on em sky rocket, well and of course not to mention the fact that there more dangerous than cars...
bump.gif

Call and find out bro. If you are going liability only, it will be next to nothing. 200 a year or so. Comp/collision on a 9,000 bike will have a large range between companies. Progressive will be astronomical, like $1,800 a year, other will be like $800. These are just what I have heard. I personally have no idea, started riding when I was a bit older. And I always carry liability only, its cheaper to just repair what you break in my opinion.

Ok, I just went looking around, and I was looking at a dealer out of Athens, OH, and they had on each of the bikes they sell an option to get a insurance quote. I went through the fields just to see what it would be for a busa. With just "Bodily Injury, Property Damage & Guest Passenger coverage" my 12 month quote would be $256.00, so is that just basically Liability?

Back