Big Guy on a Busa

lunchbox

Registered
First off, Im new to posting but have been reading yalls input and info for about 6 months now and have learned more than you can imagine.

Now, I've read all the posts on the Busa as a first bike and even the ones about the taller people wanting one. My question is if yall dont recommend the Busa as a first bike, what other bike is out there to consider? Ive ridden the SV650 as suggested and i felt like a gorilla humping a rollerskate. Is there any other BIG bikes out there that would fit me as well as the Busa? Im about 6'5 and 300lbs. Im not looking to break sound barriers by any means. It would be a rare occasion that I even do 100mph. Im just lookin for something I can take out and ride in the country on the weekends and maybe some small town commuting where traffic isnt a problem. Ive recently been looking at the Suzuki TL1000. I havent seen it in person so i cant really tell its true size but I would appreciate any input yall have on that as well. I look forward to hearing what yall have to say and would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.

First of all, welcome to the board!
beerchug.gif

I am 6' and was 350+ lbs when I got my busa. It was absolutely the most comfortable sport bike I planted my ass on when I was lookin'. I think I could have rode any of the other bikes I sat on, but not for long (as in no long, high mileage days). Since I haven't put in any seat time on any of the other sport bikes I can't really help you much though. Maybe some of the others who have experienced "livin' large" on other bikes can pipe up and give you some good advice.
wink.gif

I wouldn't go with a TL.  It's just as dangerous as a busa and is pretty much an inferior bike.

If you are a new rider, I would recommend considering something that is not a sportbike.

But, if you are dead set on it, no pun intended, the Honda Interceptor is good for a bigger guy but toned down on the power.

BTW, if you are a newer rider, the busa is pretty tame and is not hard to control in the lower rpms. However, it's that 1 or 2 times a ride that you slip up that a high performance bike will eat your lunch. I highly recommend a forgiving bike if you are new. Perhaps a cruiser style for the first year.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093756237 -->

A katana is a pretty good bike to learn on. And if you plan on getting a busa it would be right up your ally. the Kat weighs in at 458lbs 20 lbs lighter than the busa so the only real difference is the power. The thing with learning to ride is reactions. you want a slower bike so that things dont happen as fast giving you time to think about what youre gonna do that way when you get a faster bike and things start happening faster then it will become habit. I had a 600 kat and put 6000 miles on it now i have a busa. But im only 170lbs so you might want to try the 750. The kat is a pretty big bike so the whole monkey skrewing a skate in the park thing shouldnt be an issue

Thanks for the input guys. Keep em comin. I especially would like to hear from more of the long time riders that have seen more new riders come and go. I really do take what yall have to say to heart in making the decision on whether or not this is the right bike for me and if not what bike is. Thanks again.

Phil

BIG GUY
TRY THE FZ1 YAMAHA,IT IS A VERY TALL BIKE,HAS A
KICK ASS MOTOR AND YOU CAN MODIFY IF YOU WANT MORE
SPORT BIKE FEEL.SUSPENSION IS WEAK AREA BUT SHOULD
NOT AFFECT YOUR RIDING UNTIL YOU ARE MUCH MORE EXPERIENCED.
INSURANCE IS CHEAP,AND YOU REALLY HAVE TO TWIST ON IT TO GET TO HIPERFORMANCE CEILING.SO YOU WONT BE TROUBLE IF YOU ACCIDENTLY GOOF UP.IT HAS EXCELLENT BRAKES AND YOU CAN RIDE CROSS COUNTRY AND COMMUTE WITH EASE.I HAVE ONE ALONG WITH BUSA AND RIDE IT ON LONG TRIPS CHEAP TO OPERATE BIKE AS OPPOSED TO BUSA.

Hey Lunchbox,
I just don't subscribe to the theory that the 'busa is to be avoided as a first bike. I've been riding 20+ years and I've seen new riders on 250's and liter bikes and the result runs from one extreme to the other. The bottom line from my perspective is that if the 'busa feels comfortable go with it!
Now, certainly it is necessary to keep in mind that it is a
beast and deserves the utmost respect but also keep in mind that motorcycling itself deserves the utmost respect and it is more a matter of how you ride as opposed to what you ride...
Ride safe...

I mentioned to MeltDownZ that I have ridden a Buell M2 Cyclone quite a few times and the low end torque is a little too much for cruising around town. Im worried that the Busa might be just as bad or worse. I know the Buell is a V-Twin and that can account for most of it. Im looking for a bike I can take out to the country on the weekends but still take to 7-11 for cigarettes.

I'd second the vote on the Katana 750. Its a big bike, still sporty and excellent for learning to ride, plus its size will get you ready for a heavy bike like a busa. I know a lotta folks pooh poo the katana, but for a new rider, its really a fantastic choice and its the smaller brother to the busa (GSX750 = Katana; GSX1300-R = Hayabusa)

The VFR800 is also good and the only v4 around, the power is very predictible until about 7k rpm when the extra valves open up.

Lunchbox, I can't completely feel what you are trying to do but do understand. The Kat 750 is an extremely nice bike that would certainly fill your needs. I had one before the 'Busa and found it a great way to get into biking. I'm 6'3" and 215 so comfort is quite important to me also and the Kat 750 was very comfortable. It didn't have the power of the 'Busa, but would get you where you wanted to go. After riding for a while I realized that I wanted more power and the 'Busa is what I wanted. Don't be surprised if it happens to you!
biggrin.gif

In my opinion if you can control the throttle on a 650, then you can also control the throttle on the Busa. If you're gonna' spend the money, might as well get the best. Shucks check out this guy that I saw today ...

HeavyHitter3.jpg

In my opinion if you can control the throttle on a 650, then you can also control the throttle on the Busa. If you're gonna' spend the money, might as well get the best. Shucks check out this guy that I saw today ...
I somewhat agree, I wouldn't personally spend money on something that wasn't really what I wanted just to have to get what I want later. Although If you lack self control, don't get the busa. I thought I could control myself, but after two months with the busa I find myself going over 100 several times every time I ride. It's easy to let it get out of hand.
wink.gif

And another thing, I am 6'3" and weigh about 160lbs, my wife weighs about 100 lbs. The two of us together don't even weigh what you do. (this is not a cut, sorry) What I'm trying to say is you big guys can't really get the true effect of the busa. It is not sluggish by any means, but I do feel a difference when carrying my wife along. I don't think the beast would be quite as wild with a 300 lb man on it.

Im not nearly as bad as that guy. (sorry if youre a member) Ive got more of the football player build. But thanks for the encouraging words about me being bigger than your whole family..
down.gif
down.gif

Just kidding. Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

down.gif

Lunchbox,
I am not quite your size but I am 6'2" and about 240. My '04 Limited Busa was my first bike. I did alot of research. I have had the bike since the middle of June and only have about 2300 miles on it. I have gone to 2 different rider education schools. I am 34 years old and have wanted one of these things since they came out. I say if you want it, buy it, but realize, even based on my limited experience, this bike is evil quick and you always, every minute that you are on it have to keep that in the front of your mind.

Good Luck
Peace

Im not nearly as bad as that guy. (sorry if youre a member) Ive got more of the football player build. But thanks for the encouraging words about me being bigger than your whole family..
down.gif

down.gif

Just kidding. Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.
You're not bigger than my whole family, my wife is about 100, my 15 and 16 year old daughters are about 100, my 19 year old daughter is maybe 110, and my son is about 140 plus me at 160, that makes about 700 lbs, more or less, thats more than two of you.
cool.gif

(i really was not intending on insulting you because of your size, I was just mentioning how 150 lbs less on a bike makes it handle a lot different.
blush.gif

down.gif

Shucks check out this guy that I saw today ...
u know i was gonna ask if my ass was supposed to touch the hump while my stomach touched the tank but i see i dont meet the criteria. Dude as long as u take it slow u should be fine on a busa. I'm just glad i started on my kat cause there were a couple a times i snatche the throtle on the kat that almost put me into on coming traffic. Had i been on a busa id be bug jucie right now. I Busa does let you know if u do something stupid, like to day i nailed it in 2nd gear, like i do on the kat and the damn rear broke lose, almost pissed my self. So the moral of the story is if you use your grape you'll be safe on anything.
ps. Can u imagine that fat guy on a zx 10. id pay to see that
holla

No sweat Kev. Ill just have to go to counseling tomorrow...lol

See, the problem is....Im only 24. So there is still a lot out there for me to learn. I love the way the busa feels and looks. The power for me would just be an added bonus which I will rarely use to anywhere near its full potential. I know everyone here has said that when they talk about getting one and being safe but as I said to MeltDownZ, Ive never even had a speeding ticket....lol

Thanks for the advice guys. I can always use as much as I can get.

Back