Big Guy on a Busa

First off, Im new to posting but have been reading yalls input and info for about 6 months now and have learned more than you can imagine.

Now, I've read all the posts on the Busa as a first bike and even the ones about the taller people wanting one. My question is if yall dont recommend the Busa as a first bike, what other bike is out there to consider? Ive ridden the SV650 as suggested and i felt like a gorilla humping a rollerskate. Is there any other BIG bikes out there that would fit me as well as the Busa? Im about 6'5 and 300lbs. Im not looking to break sound barriers by any means. It would be a rare occasion that I even do 100mph. Im just lookin for something I can take out and ride in the country on the weekends and maybe some small town commuting where traffic isnt a problem. Ive recently been looking at the Suzuki TL1000. I havent seen it in person so i cant really tell its true size but I would appreciate any input yall have on that as well. I look forward to hearing what yall have to say and would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.

I'm not even a suzuki fan by nature but YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTION THAN TO BUY A HAYABUSA OR ZX14!!! A larger rider on a small bike can be pretty dangerous in itself. I used to bust my ass on smaller dirtbikes worse when i was racing motorcross than the larger bikes. If you can use a clutch, use brakes and know how to use a throttle...a busa is no more dangerous than a ninja 250. You just have to be responsible when riding it and make decisions based on your best interest and skills. A big guy needs a busa purely for the size of the bike, the suspension, and lastly the power and torque to pull you around....and you will evenutally be grateful for all the extra power you will have on tap if you ever want it. Hell if you get a gen 2 you can cruise with it in the A, B or C modes and the later being the less powerful ignition maps:thumbsup: I weigh 270 and started out on a busa as my first streetbike. You can listen to all these people that say "the busa has to be respected because of all the potential power" yada yada yada truth is any motorcycle has to be respected. Some people are just not meant to ride on 2 wheels....if you are competent, not a fool, and can operate a SV650 then do yourself a favor and get a busa first so you don't waste your money on something and in 6months be stuck with it cause the economy sucks and your kicking yourself for not buying a busa first. Hope i don't come off all pro busa...i do like the busa but i'm not one of those guys that thinks its the fastest thing in the world and only thing on 2 wheels that deserves to be on the road.

Last edited:
A katana is a pretty good bike to learn on. And if you plan on getting a busa it would be right up your ally. the Kat weighs in at 458lbs 20 lbs lighter than the busa so the only real difference is the power. The thing with learning to ride is reactions. you want a slower bike so that things dont happen as fast giving you time to think about what youre gonna do that way when you get a faster bike and things start happening faster then it will become habit. I had a 600 kat and put 6000 miles on it now i have a busa. But im only 170lbs so you might want to try the 750. The kat is a pretty big bike so the whole monkey skrewing a skate in the park thing shouldnt be an issue

I started on a kat 600, traded it next year for an 06 busa haven't looked back. Also, if u get a katana(forget the year range) andhappen to get aftermarket taillight, keep it. Gen1 busa uses same taillight
Posted via Mobile Device

If you get a busa, you will speed. There is no way to keep from it.
biggrin.gif

You are mistaken sir, when you require your driving privilege to make your money an 2 moving violations in a year will get you dropped from the companies insurance policy, an possibly prevent you from working anywhere else in the same field you will make more of an effort to pilot it responsibly :laugh:

I'm 6'7" and 250lbs... Got the Busa 30min after I passed my permit test...
It's only as fast as you twist it man. Once you get a good feel for it, believe me, you'll be modding it for faster response, haha.

Another alternative is... My friend is 6'5" and about 200lbs, he has a Triumph Daytona, which seems really tall but not ridiculous. He's comfortable on it... You could try them out, it's British!

Back