starter bike in mind

kinghomeboy

Registered
ok im curious as to the opinions of you i have read some other threads on starter bikes and havent fond this one up on any, i am wondering if yall think a suzuki sv-650 or a yamaha r6 are good starter bikes

The SV would make an excellent started machine. Stay away from the R6 as a 1st machine, they are race bikes for the street and need to be revved to the moon to make them go....

Take the MSF course it you haven't.

sv650 after you lear you can make it a track bike or sell it r6 is too strong of a bike for a beginner and not very confy

o ok cools thanks for that info i was leanin towards the sv anyways lol one for sell where im at real close and im most likely gettin that, and yea definitely takin that msf class b4 i get my license and all and w/o a doubt gettin gear b4 i even think of hoppin on it lol

There are a lot of variables. But the GS 500, SV650 gs650f, Katana 600, Ninja 500/650R FZ6 all make much better starter bikes than the GXR600 R6 and other race oriented versions. A used GS 500 or 600 Katana would be one of the better choices. Buying it right, you could sell it in a year and upgrade without much of a loss.

The SV is a fine motorcycle, starter bike or not. Remember its a 40 incher, the same as an old Triumph Bonneville. Plenty of power, six speeds, good handling etc. The 03s are the first year for FI and I found a one owner with only 10,000 miles on it for around $3,000. Great deal on a very good bike.

SuzukiSV650_001Small.jpg

+1 on the SV!

99% of the riders cannot out ride the SV! It has a huge community support. Parts are cheap and available. its a Vtwin so it sounds better than an inline! The SV is raced often. Only the best riders can really squeeze all of the performance out of it (this can be said of any bike). its a forgiving bike so that why everyone recommends it for beginners. But if the same SV rider acquires great techniques, he/she can humble litre bikes in the turns.

Regardless of the bike, my recs for any noob: Buy used. ride the piss out of it. when you think your done with it, sell it for what you paid for it. And get the next bike.

I'd say if you grew up on dirtbikes or have similar previous riding experience an R6 or other 600 isn't a bad starter but that's just me =).

I say either one, the SV has more of an upright riding position, your not going to go as fast on the top end of the SV as you would on the R6 but it's really what you want....just wear the right gear and learn throttle control...

I love my SV and it is my LATEST acquisition
smile.gif

P1040521.jpg

+1 on an SV650.If you were tall a bandit 1200/1250 are greatly dependable bikes. Reasonably priced used and new. They aren't overpowered. Buying a used bike is a smarter choice due to the fact that mishaps are more then likely to happen.

Back