APE Starter Gear

So, I've been reading and becoming incredibly paranoid about breaking my motor from this. I have a question...

I'm 98% positive my starter has kickbacked twice on me. (1999)

Since then, I've started it and driven it... a LOT. Seems fine.

Can my starter have kicked back and not broken anything?
Am I running on borrowed time?
Or was this some other loud clunk comming from my motor when it failed to start cuz the battery was low?

I will eventually upgrade to an '03+ system just don't have the cash at the moment.

Have you come to any conclusions?

I have bought the stuff that should eliminate the damage but i think i have a bit more clunking sometimes and it seems a bit slower to start. Now i´m starting the suspect the clutch again, can´t say i´m enjoying the bike so far.

Yes the motor can kick back and not have any damage. A heavy duty stater gear will not eliminate kick back. The HD starter gear eliminates the starter gear and starter from being stripped when kick back occurs. The Case saver stops the damage to the motor. Also kickback normally happens with a weak battery.

What i´m still wondering is what is the actual CAUSE of kickbacks?

I have a new powerful battery still the starter is VERY slow sometimes, very randomly, both when cold and warm even when the battery is fully charged, it stops in between turns and sometimes a loud clank, sometimes not.

The starter clutch has no flatspots on the pins that grabs the shaft, it looks very good in all. Could it be evenly worn out without looking like it´s falling apart?

I´ve bought everything i can find to prevent damage to the engine but i still have kickbacks. It seems like there´s no real answer to what´s actually causing it all. Maybe an old fashion exorcism would work? :laugh:

It behaves like this one but he doesn´t seem to get kickbacks:

Last edited by a moderator:
To cut a long story short, yesterday i replaced the starter clutch with a new one and after 25 - 30 teststarts i haven't had one single kickback, with some luck that was the solution.

Back