02 starter updating

tarock

Registered
This discussion was started on another page, however it was way off topic of what we were talking about.

I have an 02 busa with 33k and I am thinking about updating the starter, and/or heavy duty starter idler gear, and/or case saver sleeve, and/or heavy duty starter pins.

Questions:

1. Does my bike need / or is there even a bigger starter available for the bike?(For instance, I have heard several <02 models that crank a long time before they start up and many >03 models seem to just pop right off).

2. I am definately going to put in the case saver sleeve, however are the heavy duty idle gear from APE and heavy duty starter pins from schnitz worth putting in?
The heavy duty idler gear is spendy and seems to just be thicker so the teeth are not stripped. These heavy duty parts are only if the bike wanted to kick back right...they wont help the starting in general right?

I bought a new cam position sensor to try and see if this will help my start up time.

Any other ideas on how to get the bike to start faster with less cranking, would taking off my TRE help at all??

I have tried increasing my fast idle, all forms of octane fuel, using the throttle on starting (however this is one of the things that can increase kickback), and having a good battery on tender.

using the throttle on starting (however this is one of the things that can increase kickback)

thats one of the worst things u can do, i really advise u or anyone not to use throttle on fuel injected bikes while cranking

about how long does it take for u bike to finally to start?

Last edited:
The bike usually takes 5-10 seconds of cranking.

Also, I have read to use 4 awg wire from battery to starter relay - starter relay to starter, and 4 awg wire ground from starter to battery neg.

I looked and my battery is already wired this way. Is stock wire smaller than 4 gauge?

have u changed plugs or anything else lately?
on the starter wire gauge i dont know, when u do have ur bike idling what is ur rpm set at?

-> there's no direct replacement bigger starter motor available

-> sleeve and HD pins will help prevent damage from a kickback but none of these improve the abilities to start the engine.

-> fully charged battery help in starting the bike quicker, also a bigger battery with more amps helps, and bigger cabling can help as well. You really need to measure the voltage and amps in yoru starting system to see what's wrong and what changes improve your setup.

The only thing that's a bit odd in your wetup is that the starter motor grounds to the engine so by adding another cable from the starter to the battery neg is kind of redundent. A thicker ground strap from the battery negative to the frame gound is always a good idea.

-> there's no direct replacement bigger starter motor available

-> sleeve and HD pins will help prevent damage from a kickback but none of these improve the abilities to start the engine.

-> fully charged battery help in starting the bike quicker, also a bigger battery with more amps helps, and bigger cabling can help as well. You really need to measure the voltage and amps in yoru starting system to see what's wrong and what changes improve your setup.

The only thing that's a bit odd in your wetup is that the starter motor grounds to the engine so by adding another cable from the starter to the battery neg is kind of redundent. A thicker ground strap from the battery negative to the frame gound is always a good idea.

Thanks again for your advise...i plan on buying the sleeve and pins. I have the PB-2 battery they sell which they claim has a CCA of over 300amps.

If you are bored sometime check your wiring setup. But there is a ground (stock on mine) that goes from the starter to the battery neg.

I am pretty sure the wire is not 4 gauge stock, so I am going to do that upgrade so that way the wire might move more of the energy the new battery has.

In a sense yo're right about the ground. It's the ground not just for the starter but also for the entire engine. :beerchug:

My wirring is a bit different so I don't have the OE setup anymore.:laugh:

P5296768.jpg

Back