APE Starter Gear

kazukiman

Registered
Have any members here. with an earlier model 99-01, Have you ever installed the APE Heavy Duty Starter Idler gear? I'm trying to get some feedback on the part, and if it helps fix the early Hayabusa starter problems. . It seems like there's a couple ways to go with this starter fix. Suzuki redid the starter on the 2003 model. There is a service bulletin to upgrade to the newer 2003 parts, The cost is still over $550.00, plus the cost of a 225=235 CCA Battery. Then Schnitz racing sells this APE gear, Brocks Heavy Duty Pins, Titanium Ring,(case saver) and a Starter Gear Cover with support, This setup is around $475.00, plus the cost of a stronger battery. The idler gear sells for $265.00. I think is's 5-8mm's wider. It appears that a little clearance work has to be done in the starter case to make the gear fit correctly. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Tom 00 BUSA, 00 TLR, 99 ZRX

in the least, get yourself the Ti ring (case saver) and the heavy duty pins. I had only the case saver and last year it saved my case.

P4115673.jpg

P4115680.jpg

Have any members here. with an earlier model 99-01, Have you ever installed the APE Heavy Duty Starter Idler gear? I'm trying to get some feedback on the part, and if it helps fix the early Hayabusa starter problems. . It seems like there's a couple ways to go with this starter fix. Suzuki redid the starter on the 2003 model. There is a service bulletin to upgrade to the newer 2003 parts, The cost is still over $550.00, plus the cost of a 225=235 CCA Battery. Then Schnitz racing sells this APE gear, Brocks Heavy Duty Pins, Titanium Ring,(case saver) and a Starter Gear Cover with support, This setup is around $475.00, plus the cost of a stronger battery. The idler gear sells for $265.00. I think is's 5-8mm's wider. It appears that a little clearance work has to be done in the starter case to make the gear fit correctly. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Tom 00 BUSA, 00 TLR, 99 ZRX

I´m suspecting i have this problem but not sure, i think i have kickbacks and have done everything i can think of to avoid them but it seems like all i can do is try to save the case if it happens too many times.

How would you describe a kickback? My bike hesitates a little, with a clunk kinda sound, then it starts. Nothing wrong with the battery, fuel, tps. What´s the deal with the fast idle? How could it create kickbacks? Mine is adjusted to 2500 rpm.

I did the APE gear and the case Titanium Ring about 5 years ago... on my 2000 Busa I only had 3 mm of gear contact to starter stock now I have 9mm. Do it.... its a smart move. Or your battery gets weak you attempt to start the bike and it kicks back the gears jump teeth and bam!!! broken case....

You need a starter clutch stop cranking it and replace it or upgrade to 03 up stuff..

I went through all this about ten times myself until I got it right..i think I have one of the tougher aftermarket starter gears lying around...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You need a starter clutch stop cranking it and replace it or upgrade to 03 up stuff..

I´ll order the case protector and pins to start with, there´s a whole bunch of stuff to chose from but i´ll start with that and then i´m thinking about this one:

Hayabusa Sprag Starter gear. - Hayabusa Race Engine parts Turbo Motorcycle and Performance Bike Tuning by Big CC Racing

If my economy hadn´t suffered from a broken busa radiator and a blown turbo in the volvo i´d buy all of it but i´ll have to wait, what kinda starter gear do you have Rashad?

Thanx for helping, it´s a jungle of forums and solutions out there but this is the place to be, thanx guys :beerchug:

Ordered the stuff and next up will be the ape starter gear then i should be safe. Still bugs me though that there isn´t a solution to simply stop the kickbacks.

Now i have the pins, the case saver and the battery so what i should go for next is the APE starter gear and a new starter clutch? I was thinking of the Nova sprag starter gear but a guy in a swedish forum says he bought it and it doesn´t work so no luck there, sounds a bit strange though.

I wish there was a kit with a price tag on it to just order and stomp it in there.

A little track that you can do is oval the holes on the starter. This will allow you to slide the starter outward to have more contact on the starter gear. 3 or 4mm will be fine. A.P.E starter gear, case saver, strong battery. Also you can upgrade to a later year Hayabusa starter assembly (i beleive it is 2003 or 2004). The later year starter has a longer snout for the teeth and the gears have a different pitch so they will not strip.

A little track that you can do is oval the holes on the starter. This will allow you to slide the starter outward to have more contact on the starter gear. 3 or 4mm will be fine. A.P.E starter gear, case saver, strong battery. Also you can upgrade to a later year Hayabusa starter assembly (i beleive it is 2003 or 2004). The later year starter has a longer snout for the teeth and the gears have a different pitch so they will not strip.

Thanx for the tips, i'm on it! The starter might look a bit worn (?) but otherwise nothing, the case saver is a bit hard to get in place, no idea how snug it should fit, can't just slide it on.

Sent from Iphone 4 via Tapatalk.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308316514.575804.jpg

So, I've been reading and becoming incredibly paranoid about breaking my motor from this. I have a question...

I'm 98% positive my starter has kickbacked twice on me. (1999)

Since then, I've started it and driven it... a LOT. Seems fine.

Can my starter have kicked back and not broken anything?
Am I running on borrowed time?
Or was this some other loud clunk comming from my motor when it failed to start cuz the battery was low?

I will eventually upgrade to an '03+ system just don't have the cash at the moment.

So, I've been reading and becoming incredibly paranoid about breaking my motor from this. I have a question...

I'm 98% positive my starter has kickbacked twice on me. (1999)

Since then, I've started it and driven it... a LOT. Seems fine.

Can my starter have kicked back and not broken anything?
Am I running on borrowed time?
Or was this some other loud clunk comming from my motor when it failed to start cuz the battery was low?

I will eventually upgrade to an '03+ system just don't have the cash at the moment.

Good questions and welcome to Club Paranoia! I´m starting to wonder if i should get rid of the bike and buy a skateboard.I can´t see anything very wrong but i don´t know if i´ll start it again anytime soon. I hope you´ll get an answer to your questions.

Now i stumbled across another thread somewhere where GoldenChild says do NOT put the heavy duty gear in, my head is spinning and i ditched that idea also, now i will leave it standing as it is, sick of even thinking about this.

Yes the motor can kick back and not have any damage. A heavy duty stater gear will not eliminate kick back. The HD starter gear eliminates the starter gear and starter from being stripped when kick back occurs. The Case saver stops the damage to the motor. Also kickback normally happens with a weak battery.

Yes the motor can kick back and not have any damage. A heavy duty stater gear will not eliminate kick back. The HD starter gear eliminates the starter gear and starter from being stripped when kick back occurs. The Case saver stops the damage to the motor. Also kickback normally happens with a weak battery.

Yes it sounds logical, i bought the shorai battery only cause of this problem so that´s solved, working on the case saver but i have to sand down pretty much to make it fit without cracking it.

Is the problem that the starter gear gets worn out? I´ve read of so many reasons for kickbacks that i can´t remember half of them even. Could the pc3be a cause if the bike isn´t mapped in a bench?

You shouldnt have to sand down to make the case saver fit. It has to be tapped into place. It fits very snug

You shouldnt have to sand down to make the case saver fit. It has to be tapped into place. It fits very snug

There are certain measures when you can start tapping it in and i'm pretty far from that, if it cracks you haven't sanded enough the "manual" says, i'll leave it til tomorrow i think.

Sent from Iphone 4 via Tapatalk.

Now i have installed the heavy duty pins, case saver, extreme engines idler limiter and billet cover but still i´m a bit paranoid, will i still hear the clunk from a kickback but without risking any damage or how does it behave? Has anyone installed a limiter and knows how the bike reacts?

Back