Case protector

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
I was looking on Ebay, and I found
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Hayabusa-Schnitz-Racing-case-protector_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQitemZ46171
51808QQrdZ1" target="_blank">THIS!!!</a>

Quote fromn description:
"Up for bid is a brand new engine case protector made by Schnitz racing, I believe it can be used on all models but it is especially needed on 2002 models due to some of them having problems with the starter kicking back which can cause the starter gear to basicly grenade and if it does it will take your engine case with it, as you can see it's brand new and has never been opened"

Now my question is, are the 02's having the starter problem like he describes? I thought it was only the 99-00 models. The reason I'm asking is I'm looking at an 02, but I don't want to by it if they have the starter problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

they didnt really fix the issue til 03, I had my starter die and it was replaced by the ESP. I hear those are worth doing and I can tell you the larger battery is a huge plus as well
cool.gif

I would not shy away from an 02 simply because of that one issue... so if I was looking I'd probably buy an 02 again if I could
cool.gif

cool.gif

Most of the early models have been upgraded as far as starter problems go, a more powerful battery helps if the starter and gear haven't been done. I wouldn't worry about any clean, well maintained 99-02 models. 03 and newer bikes have no starter issues and the ECU was upgraded from 16 to 32 bit.

I know that you are looking for a Busa....any thought about buying new?

Most of the early models have been upgraded as far as starter problems go, a more powerful battery helps if the starter and gear haven't been done. I wouldn't worry about any clean, well maintained 99-02 models. 03 and newer bikes have no starter issues and the ECU was upgraded from 16 to 32 bit.

I was thinking new, but I ran across TREE's 02 LE  
drooling3.gif
I love the look, plus it's got the mods I want done to it already there.

So basicly, it wouldn't be anything to worry about. At least as long as that mod has been done or I do that mod, right?

would it be possible to swap computers? That way it would have a 32-bit? Or would it be more work than it's worth?

<!--EDIT|yamahor
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141601620 -->

drooling3.gif

So basicly, it wouldn't be anything to worry about. At least as long as that mod has been done or I do that mod, right?

would it be possible to swap computers? That way it would have a 32-bit? Or would it be more work than it's worth?
The ECU and the wiring harness are different....only issue on a 02 is a starter.

drooling3.gif

The ECU and the wiring harness are different....only issue on a 02 is a starter.
Figures...

I own a 02 with 21k on it and I never have had any starter or battery problem.
rock.gif
If the bike is hot, or the battery is a little low....when you go to start the bike, if it doesn't crank right over and you hold the button down the starter, gear and case have been known to come apart  
sad.gif

02 has the 32bit ecu from what I remember, that's the year they starting limiting busas.

I put a high output battery in my 02, 31,600miles with no problems. Just listen for kickbacks and don't give it throttle as you start.

02 has the 32bit ecu from what I remember, that's the year they starting limiting busas.

I put a high output battery in my 02, 31,600miles with no problems.  Just listen for kickbacks and don't give it throttle as you start.
01 was the first year for the speed limiter, 03 had the 32 bit and the gold forks. 02 had the shinny mid pipes

Back