starter in a free spin with out engaging..HELP WHAT DO I DO??

Hello this is the problem and things I've done with my 2000 hayabusa: starter in a free spin with out engaging..HELP WHAT DO I DO?? I have put new battery in it I've taken the stater off and had it checked and the starter spins fine, but when installed on bike and I go to push start button it don't engage the other gears to start the engine. When I pull the top cover to check the gear alignment it seem that the starter gear is not far enough out to catch the next gear it only line up with the first row of teeth out of a set of three. HELP!!!

Don't buy one of those ebay $80 starters from China! Spend a little more and get a better one. If you haven't upgraded the clutch to the new standard, I recommend getting a gen 2 starter, clutch and clutch cover. It will fit fine and prevent the kickback that can damage your case. 04-07 will work too but gen 2 is the same thing and you wont get it wrong.

Actually I see you have 3 sets of teeth so you do have the new clutch. Used gen 2 starter, yours should have the longer shaft.

From what I understand 99-05 will need to do a mod to protect the cases when the starter clutch fails. I could be wrong but when mine went I called my mechanic he asked what year and if there was case damage. You might want to look into it.

Back