99-00 starter fixes, improvements

kazukiman

Registered
I have a 2000 year HAYABUSA. This machine has 6500 original miles on it. It's been Customized, with a large amount of Chrome Plating, Polishing and a number of custom accent one-off parts, made by myself, and usually chromed. I've bought a few custom parts as well.It's a REAL nice sort of stock machine, There's Yosh Slip=ons, Powercommander 2, TRE to name a few engine mods, and comfort wise, there's a handlebar riser, along with Heli bars, a Gel seat and Buell Pegs. I live in the Central Jersey, Eastern Pennsyvania area. There's still alot of real nice roads to ride on, so that's why I've left the wheelbase alone so far. I still like to ride the bike! That's why I'm asking some of you, who may, or may not have had the "DREADED STARTER ISSUES", on the earlier machines, if you have an opinion as to "what helps and corrects these starter problems. From what I have read, mainly here at HAYABUSA.ORG, It appears that the fix that helps is, 1, a stronger BATTERY---, 2, APE starter gear,--- 3, Titanium Ring---4,Brock hardened pins,---5, Billet starter cover with support on end, internally. I'm assuming that this has to solve these problems. I've expierenced a few times of trying to start the bike while warm this year, and want to correct this before any real damage happens. Any info, or feedback would be appreciated! Thanks Tom

An 01 and up starter set up will solve those issues, costs less than what you mentioned, PM Golden Child (Daniel) for details and pricing.
I would suggest you upgrade to a PC3 USB. Much easier to work with than what you got. Have your local Suzi dealer run the vin to ensure the timing chain recall was performed, they will do it at no charge if it hasn't been done.
Enjoy, and post pics......:rulez:

'99-'02 had bad starters...go with a '03+ set up and upgrade the battery too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Will a 03 and above starter work with a 99-02? I thought I read on some other post, that the 03 starter and gear won't work on the earlier models.

Yes it will, You need the following,
Starter
gears
covers

All you have to do is order a starter clutch and idler gear. Suzuki changed the part and part #No. Instead of doing a recall. My 02 would slip and catch, one day the starter just spun no catch. So I replaced the parts, no more problems. Also changed the battery to a YTZ14S.

Hey all can post the link to the pictures.I am also interested to do the improvement thanks alot

Billet starter cover with support on end

Just in case.
Buy Now: Hayabusa STATOR COVER, Case Cover, Yana Shiki, Epic, Vortex | Pashnit Moto

I replaced my starter on my '00. Had some issues.

Img_0007_starter_3.jpg

Img_0007_starter_3.jpg

Get a YTZ14 battery and the upgrade parts listed. I'd also do the aftermarket stuff for peace of mind. The Brock Hardened starting pins are cheap.

Get a YTZ14 battery and the upgrade parts listed. I'd also do the aftermarket stuff for peace of mind. The Brock Hardened starting pins are cheap.

I have the 24v start up in my bike now.Just want to do more upgrades though.I just want dont want to over do it spending extra dough

Wow thats some wear there pashnit.That looks like your starter motor right?

The pinion gear that sticks out from the starter. Replaced the starter with a Ricks (we can get those to sell too), and then ordered the replacement gear from Bike Bandit which is good for little internal bits like that.

I was on a 1000 mile ride when that happened, and bump started the bike for the rest of the tour. :laugh:

Img_0003_starter_4.jpg

Img_0003_starter_4.jpg

The pinion gear that sticks out from the starter. Replaced the starter with a Ricks (we can get those to sell too), and then ordered the replacement gear from Bike Bandit which is good for little internal bits like that.

I was on a 1000 mile ride when that happened, and bump started the bike for the rest of the tour. :laugh:

View attachment 170652

Hmmm thats a clearer picture.:thumbsup:.I am curious why not stock instead of Ricks?Any link to it?:beerchug:

Last edited:
Hmmm thats a clearer picture.:thumbsup:.I am curious why not stock instead of Ricks?Any link to it?:beerchug:

Ricks Motorsports Electrics is one of our vendors, so we can order one in within a few days.

However, they only list 99-02 Hayabusa that they carry. Great for me & my '00, but bad if you have 03+. They run $220 list. (new, not rebuilt)

Rick's Motorsport Electrics - Home

The 03+, they offer a rebuilt one for $275 if you go direct through them.

I was thinking of getting a high-output stator come spring, so will have to look more into this very soon. My first big ride is in 80 days. :thumbsup:

Ricks Motorsports Electrics is one of our vendors, so we can order one in within a few days.

However, they only list 99-02 Hayabusa that they carry. Great for me & my '00, but bad if you have 03+. They run $220 list. (new, not rebuilt)

Rick's Motorsport Electrics - Home

The 03+, they offer a rebuilt one for $275 if you go direct through them.

I was thinking of getting a high-output stator come spring, so will have to look more into this very soon. My first big ride is in 80 days. :thumbsup:

This looks kind of interesting>High Output Hayabusa Kit

Last edited:
Make sure you get yourself a case saver (Ti ring). It saved my case :bowdown:.

I ended up replacing the cover and installing Brock's pins. If I find some '03 or newer starter gears then I replace evrything with that and swap to the newer cover.

P4115673.jpg

P4115677.jpg

P4115679.jpg

P4115680.jpg

P5025833.jpg

Make sure you get yourself a case saver (Ti ring). It saved my case :bowdown:.

I ended up replacing the cover and installing Brock's pins. If I find some '03 or newer starter gears then I replace evrything with that and swap to the newer cover.

Thanks for the info.I got the Ti ring from Brocks.Rpm clutch saver support too.Its not easy to find the whole starter assembly to start with.It will be costly.:beerchug:

Back