Gen 1 2006 Busa starter just spins!

Chango

Registered
Got a clear warm day had a few rain spells salt seem to be gone from the streets! Fired the busa up and took her out! Nothing like the first run of the season! So I went ahead and stopped in the store for a second. Through my leg over her and hit the starter and all I hear is the starter spin. She did this over and over again. Called my bike guy and he trailered it to his shop. He said being a Gen I he would almost gaurentee it is the starter clutch. So I'm on Ebay looking at them and was wondering is there a upgrade I can go with or do I get the OEM? Any advise on shopping starter clutch would be greatly apprecieated! Thanks in advance! ???

Ok starter clutch shopping has come with a learning curve! I was reading somewhere that the 99 to 02 are different then the 03 to 07. But then I read on Ebay those that work on 99-07? Is there a part # or something I can look for to make sure I get the correct part?

I believe there is a difference. There was a kickback issue that would damage the casing. I would get '03 - '07.

+1 on the later versions for sure. There is a visual difference when you look at the gears

or pull the starter, and clean the solenoid in the starter that actually engages the starter. then reinstall.

As someone who has JUST fixed this issue a week or 2 ago, and have dealt with this issue for probably a year, I will say it is 99.9999% the starter clutch. (mine is a 2001 model).

there is a difference between 99-02 and 03-07. I got 1 off ebay that said it fits 99-07. and it technically did. 99-02 have "normal" teeth in the middle gear. 03-07 have a locator "notch" inside the middle gear. this prevents a 03-07 fitting onto a 99-02. BUT, all u have to do is take the clutch part off the 03-07 and put it on the big outside gear of the 99-02 and it will work normally. Since OP's is an 06, im sure all the ones out now are this newer (better) design and doesnt have to play the swapping game.

Mine started the same way 1 day and I replaced the starter. issue seemed fixed...for about a week. then the battery crapped out. bought a new battery and issue seemed to do great for about a month. then it started up again. For the longest time, I would have to walk the bike (by sitting on it) and then hit the starter and it would fire up. but this usually KILLED my battery after a week or 2. Then while cleaning the bike I found the rectifier wiring had melted. replaced all that and issue still existed. i FINALLY came to the realization that i need to replace the starter clutch. got 1 and now it fires up better then new. Btw, I have about 63k miles on the bike and this issue started around 55k. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Wow! Thanks for all of the info I have a used gear on it's way to me off of a 2006 exact same year as mine. Now the waiting game starts! Thanks again I will post back and let you know how it all turns out!

Back