r6 for track days

tex_garza

Registered
i found an 01 r6 with 19k for 2750 and i was curious if any of yall have had any experience them and also is this a good price from the pics ive seen the bike has no flaws i plan on using this bike so i can start doing track days and help or advice would be greatly appreciated

SPC Gabriel Garza U.S. Army

i had 1 back in 02. it was a wheelie machine until 2nd gear went out. they are notorius for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would be cautious if BB is that high and they are selling it for so little.
Posted via Mobile Device

check your bank for loan value. even if you pay cash bb isnt always an accurate reflection of how much something cost.

other than that my buddy had one he severly abused as basically a stunt bike. he crashed it and abused the heck out of it. the problems he had were 2nd gear, and a broken upper fairing stay.

For a track bike that is a dam good price. Fire her up, do the general check...buy her and go run the piss out of it. There are TONS of parts on the local forums for R6 parts. They are one of the more popular bikes on the tracks. SV650's are another one you will see lots of.

Can't really go wrong with a track bike like an R6. Something worth checking out though, 13xforums.com is the WERA race board and you might want to look around at what parts are cheap and in abundance before you settle on something. For the money you are wanting to spend you may even find something that already has the higher dollar suspension and etc. I'll keep my eye out for ya.

Another quick thought DRZ400SM would make for a real fun track bike. Seen quite a few in that type of $ range.

thanks for all the feedback he originally wanted 3200 but i talked him down and i would love to take my 09 busa to the track but i couldnt live with myslef if i ever laid her down

Watch out for the pre '03 R6's as they have a common problem with 2nd gear going out. Yamaha made a change in 04 and revised the transmission to fix the problem. If it goes out your looking at either replacing the engine & transmission (with another used unit). Or splitting the case and trying to replace the bad part with another part that is soon to go bad. If you are dead set on an R6 I would recommend you look for an 04 or newer to avoid all problems of the 2nd gear. Like the guy above said check for a used track bike that was properly set up. Even if the thing is about to blows up it might be cheaper to replace an engine than to fully set up the thing for track duty. Who knows you might find a good deal on something that is already set up.

Good luck!

Too Much

You can find much better deals then that. Like others have mentioned WERA or even your local Craigs List.

Try looking at getting something that is already set up for the track. If that will be the bikes sole purpose you can get something already REALLY REALLY set up for the track...almost turn key for you for less then $5K. A used SV650 would be another excellent choice.

http://www.ncsportbikes.com/forums/...ghlight=&sid=bd7ed26d5afbd8e9387ed222fa3db599

That's a bike set up for $2,300 bucks. About the same as you were going to drop on the older R6.

-Gilman

Last edited:
Back