Have you ever laid a riding buddy to rest?

Have you ever laid a riding buddy to rest?

• No. I never have and hope I never do.

Votes: 68 50.4%
  • One

Votes: 24 17.8%
  • Two

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • I hope I never do again.

Votes: 27 20.0%

• Total voters
I lost my cousin Joshua (19) three years ago july 4 he was drinking and riding his new 600 on top of that he was racing a car, Also lost my best friend and Best man at my wedding.
he died last summer when a old lady turned into his bike (her directional was on the other way) It sux but we learn from it and grow. Keep their memory alive!!

I've never put one in the ground. When I was riding with the sportbike clubs we were having life flights every week or two, but they all pulled through. ATGATT. There are casualties in the area eery year, but so far nobody I know and not on a ride I was part of. Like Mr. B said, the group you ride with makes all the difference. That's why CTD and I started our own group.

I hope after everyone reads this sad forum thread that we will all take a moment and be much safer on the road. Always look for the inevitable... Ride Safe Busa brothers and sisters!

I hope after everyone reads this sad forum thread that we will all take a moment and be much safer on the road. Always look for the inevitable... Ride Safe Busa brothers and sisters!
Ditto. My sympathies to all of you who have lost loved ones. Keep their memories alive by riding safe and living. Keep their flames alive inside you. It's a sacred honor.

The last one for me was for Larry Grodsky of Stayin' Safe school and moto journalist for Rider Magazine. Larry was killed when a deer came out of the woods while coming back from picking up a motorcycle he purchased in (I believe) the Dakotas. Funeral was in Pittsburgh, Pa. My thoughts were; it was a good turnout for a nice guy who helped many others improve their odds at Staying Safe on a motorcycle. With all of his skills it still happened. When it's time to go and we are called we must go. I told my wife that should that ever happen to me to please remember two things; it was trully unavoidable and that I did everything I could and that is God's Will and two that I was doing EXACTLY what I loved to do..ride my bike. Wardie

The last one for me was for Larry Grodsky of Stayin' Safe school and moto journalist for Rider Magazine. Larry was killed when a deer came out of the woods while coming back from picking up a motorcycle he purchased in (I believe) the Dakotas. Funeral was in Pittsburgh, Pa. My thoughts were; it was a good turnout for a nice guy who helped many others improve their odds at Staying Safe on a motorcycle. With all of his skills it still happened. When it's time to go and we are called we must go. I told my wife that should that ever happen to me to please remember two things; it was trully unavoidable and that I did everything I could and that is God's Will and two that I was doing EXACTLY what I loved to do..ride my bike. Wardie

+1 I Lost my Best Friend and Fellow Rider Back in 89. I stopped Riding for about 15 Years after that..........:down:

Yep!!

Two brothers going through a robot too fast and a woman that simply turned in front of them!

I still feel sorry for the farther???

Two of my friend's were killed on their bike's year's ago. That was about 10 yr's before I got a road bike. I just hope their both at peace. The thing that suck's is that I don't think it's any thing we can get away from.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have had to lay not only a fellow rider, but a fellow sailor and a school friend to boot! He and I joined the Navy together, served on the same ship and we were out riding and a woman not paying attention blew a stop sign and he t-boned the car. Landing, he slid into a tree and broke his neck. I had to fly back to MN from CA with his casket and then bury him. I was also the one who was honored with giving his mother the flag. It still tears me up to think about it.

Bigfisch, I can't imagine going through that. I'm sure his family appreciated what you did.

Too many the last few years! Yesterday was the latest.
I can say at this time and hope that this will be the last, but who knows!

Bigfisch, I can't imagine going through that. I'm sure his family appreciated what you did.

His folks later told me that it was very nice that Commanding Officer chose me to represent him to giver her the flag. Our CO knew us quite well (the Co liked to party just as hard as he worked, he was prior enlisted like me), and thought it would be better for the flag to be given by someone the family knew than a stranger.

only 1 so far........September of last year and his front tire blew on his week-old Yamaha and he went into oncoming traffic. I hope to God I never have to see something like that again.

Unfortunatly two in my time. Not only were they fellow riders but they were also comrade in arms.

In the past 40 years, I've laid to rest about 12 riders. They are in my thoughts constantly and I believe that is why I haven't had the same fate so far...

I am soon 58 and been riding since i was 15...I very greatful that no one has died during a ride. But aware that it could happen any time...serious sport= danger at every turn.
Have thoughts of giving it up once in awhile..straddling the fence so to say.
Rode 75 miles yesterday with a Buddy... I ask today [how much fun was it really]
wheelied speeded cornered..........i dunno......

Back