hardest thing i have done yet

black diamond busa

Team Jacob
Registered
So I have gone 2 days without a smoke. This blows and I see why the failure rate is so high. So when will I stop wanting to have a smoke? The first day wasnt bad but since I came into work today all I want is a smoke. Rant over and thanks for listening

It took about 2 weeks for me and then I was done until I went to an event that killed it. Now, I have to quit again. Keep ya head up, you'll do ok if you just try

Thanks man. This is the first serious try I have done. I have cut back before to almost nothing but always found a reason the start back up. I'm hearing from a lot of people the first 2 weeks are hell on earth. Well I hope you decide to quit again and good luck

Every pack that you don't buy put the money in a jar. Spend it on something you want but don't need.

Tried to cutback for years. didn't work then I just said DONE ! Did it on my 31st birthday as a gift to myself. Took about a month before I didn't think about a morning or dinner smoke but I haven't had one since ! I am now 51 years old!

Seems to me the first day then the first week was the hardest part (aside from working up the resolve to quit) . It will be 10 years this spring for me. The first time I quit I went one year & figured I was so over it that I could "just have one for old times sake" well forget that, I picked up right where I left off. If you want to quit - Zero is the only answer. It is not as bad as people make it out to be, get some tic tacs. And good luck. Yes I buy motorcycle stuff (& gun stuff) with the savings, But I do not miss the smokes, at all.

Wow ten years is a long time Strombusa. Great job. I think I won't be going to the bar anytime soon because I know if I do I will have one and start up again.

I never smoked, so I don't know how it feels. But, my Mom, God bless her soul, died of pancreatic cancer in her mid-70's from cigarette smoking. She lived for six weeks after the diagnosis. So, as hard as it seems, please do it for your health.

Good job keep it up!!! It is hard at times but you can do it!

I think it took me about two months to break the habit of wanting one after I ate or when I drove. Next month it will be 5 years since I quit chewing and smoking. I still have cravings at times... especially when stressed or frustrated.

Wow ten years is a long time Strombusa. Great job. I think I won't be going to the bar anytime soon because I know if I do I will have one and start up again.

good thinking, try to avoid big stress, bars for a couple weeks. Try to keep your mind from dwelling on it... these days if you smoke you are constantly being nickel & dimed with no smoking areas, etc. Better to "bite the bullet" & be done with it. Bike riding is an excellent diversion.

1) don't drink coffee
2) don't drink booze
smoking goes hand in hand with those 2 things. cut them out till you quit.
3) stop talking about it. every time you talk or think about it, its on your mind.
4) unless you wanna quit you are only fooling yourself or looking for attention.

I quit 19 years ago. 3 packs a day for 6 years, inhaled cigars, worked in bars. I did 40-50 years of damage in that short time. I got Emphysema in my 30s

hope this helps

ive been trying to quit oh when i starrted high school off n on i went 3 yr. no smokein 2003 i went to Iraq &it started all over.I made home for R&R xmas of 03 got aGSXR1000 byby smoke ridein keeps away from smoken and drinking sad to say i havent qoit smokeing but i can say with pride im down to less than a pack a year because that urge comes on stronge the more i fght it the stronger it getsj. oh yea no green fot 6 years

it's hard, most will always struggle with it, I quit a few times and this most recent stint is almost 2 years. I have the odd one when I wanna kill something and it helps, then I dont touch them again for months or years. most people can't have 1 and walk away. I don't recommend trying. keep yourself busy, and avoid your triggers. most common are getting into the car, eating, and coffee. you can't avoid 2 of them but if you keep yourself busy with other things it'll help. chew gum, munch on candies or mints while you drive instead. it was mentioned earlier you have to want to quit.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I do want to quit finally. I tried 3 times already this year. I would always cut back to just 2 smokes a day then something would come up and I would start smoking a pack a day again. This is the first time I have gone more than 18 hrs without a smoke. I looked at the last one and just said screw it I'm done and so far so good.

i only smoked for 5-6 years...family has bad asthma...it was killing me...i wanted to quit...got put on welbutron (or however you spell it) 3 days later...quit...stopped taking the meds that day...never looked back

Thanks everyone for the advice. I do want to quit finally. I tried 3 times already this year. I would always cut back to just 2 smokes a day then something would come up and I would start smoking a pack a day again. This is the first time I have gone more than 18 hrs without a smoke. I looked at the last one and just said screw it I'm done and so far so good.

Your sig line says it all!
Why not make the longest life you can?
The worst decision I ever made was to start, the best decision I ever made was to quit!

I was a heavy smoker ansd am now 50, i stopped over night after listening to the Alen Carr CD... you tube him.. no drugs, patches etc

Back