Gas Prices

To Pooh;
Thanks for the correction.
I see my calculation error
Regards

OK Lyle, I won't tell you you're wrong if'n ya don't wanna hear it. :)

No one hates taxes more than I do, and few get away (so far) with more trickery than I do, but I don't mind paying passenger vehicle gas taxes as much as other taxes.

They're a user tax, meaning that the more gas you us the more tax you pay. If you don't use much...well you get the picture. That's fair as fair can be.

Where the taxes and higher exploration/drilling/refining/transportation and retailing costs hit us hardest is in the the price of consumer and industrial goods across the board.

And yet again I am compelled to ask...are those consumer goods prices so bad versus incomes? The G7 standard-of-living indeces have never been so high as they are now.

Things are very, very good...and part of the reason is the relatively cheap price of oil and gas.

Pete... I just realized a universal truth. There's nothing worse than listening to a thoughtful and reasoned rebuttal when you're PISSED.

OK a rational and reasoned question. How long do you think things will be "good" if the cost of transportation of goods, as well as the personal mobility we all enjoy goes up 50%? What about the "ripple effect" throughout the economy when EVERYBODY's disposable income is measurably reduced?

Do you think we should just ignore the price increases? Quit whineing and bend over?

The indifference of the World public is another part of the problem. If we suck down gas like it will last forever and we don't fight higher prices we are as much at fault as the rich folks ripping us off.

$1.53 today. Hate to think what the European's are paying. Is it going up as badly there?

Indifference or realism ?

Besides, aren't we just as bad as those you call indifferent ? After all, we are driving 1300 cc monsters when we could reach the same destinations on a 150 cc bike ? Does protesting the price of our fuel under the banner of saving the worlds resources (at the same time we are trying to increase RWBHP and reduce drag times) make us any more noble than the guy in the 3 ton SUV who would be perfectly happy paying $5.00 a gallon ?

[This message has been edited by CaveDweller (edited 10 March 2000).]

Pete is right, the price of gas has not matched other increases...remember the 78 and 81 shortages. I worked for Shell in 81 and remember prices over $1.25. We had to set the pumps to 1/2 because they did not go over $.99/gal.

BUT....I can't agree with prices going from $.79 18 months ago to $1.55 this am. This fluctuation/gouging is insane. In Mass we pay about $.40 combined tax per gallon. Have any of you seen the diesel/heating oil prices, they went over $2/gal here....And diesel is cheaper to refine than gasoline!!

Certain commodities have actually decreased in price over the years. Remember the 1st cell phone you bought? Now they "give" them away. Also how about PC's, look at what you can buy for a grand. I know, these are renewable items. Crude oil is not, what we have existing is it....

I think the people/companies who are making the profit from this is the major three and OPEC. Mostly OPEC...Unless politicians put enough pressure on the government to have OPEC increase production, we will continue to pay the price. I still think that a "gas out", done by a large enough population, would send a strong message. It's economics 101, supply and demand.....

Dave

This is an election year isn't it?
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Nice way to guarantee the ol' texas gov a trip to the white house.
high fuel and mega inflation, right at the end of and 8 year term for a democratic pres........
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

A better idea than not buying gas for 3 days would be to target 1 company as a group and not buy any gas from them at all. When they really start to hurt they will take action and drop prices to get the consumer to come back. When they come down to price decided on in advance, then everyone buy from them and no one else unless not possible. I am not an economist or anything but feel this might work.

The argument that the rest of the world pays more for gas so we shouldnt complain does not make me feel any better about 2.03 which I payed this morning for premium 92oct. for my busa.

I still think the people have the power if they can get together in enough organized #'s

Just my opinion

[This message has been edited by 918rider (edited 20 March 2000).]

OPEC still counts on the mighty USA to protect their asses. Just like Bimmerbusa noted, it's mainly politics and you'll eventually see gas prices leveling off at around $1.50/Gal.

Just had to dredge this one up!

Just paid $4.59 for premium at Costco (cheapest round here!) and that wont get me through the week! $5/gallon is going to be a reality by the weekend, maybe tomorrow. Thanks a pant load Vlad!

Just had to dredge this one up!

Just paid $4.59 for premium at Costco (cheapest round here!) and that wont get me through the week! $5/gallon is going to be a reality by the weekend, maybe tomorrow. Thanks a pant load Vlad!
Not really Putin’s fault, Canada and U.S have more oil combined to supply us for cheap gas (like .50 cent a litre cheap but out governments don’t want new oil leasing). It’s a push to get people into E.V vehicles, Alberta is the only province that is doing a tax break in Canada for gas.

Might I add we have our yearly “carbon tax” hike starting April 1st so gas will be outrageous this summer...

Not really Putin’s fault, Canada and U.S have more oil combined to supply us for cheap gas (like .50 cent a litre cheap but out governments don’t want new oil leasing). It’s a push to get people into E.V vehicles, Alberta is the only province that is doing a tax break in Canada for gas.

Might I add we have our yearly “carbon tax” hike starting April 1st so gas will be outrageous this summer...
Yep. 3 years ago we were oil exporters.

Don't know how long it takes for it to sink in the strength we had in that.

EVs are fine. I'm all in favor of ridding our dependence in fossil fuels. But I don't want to be riding a horse until then.

Back