How to reduce gas prices

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
A friend sent this email to me, chain type, and basically the kicker is this;
"Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit."

Hmmmmm

I've always, since 16, bought the vast majority of my gas at the cheapest station.  Which is a much better way to force the big companies to lower their prices.  My opinion.  I'll drive a few miles out of my way for the lowest priced gas in my area.  Currently its a United station.

If only everyone shopped at the competitively priced station rather than the most convient.

But I realized many years ago, Americans(generally) will not go out of their way to get gas, they want convience.

just my thoughts as gas goes above $3.00 a gallon for 87.

Of course that won't work either. Supply and demand. Without reducing demand prices will never drop.

But look at it this way, eventually there won't be any more gas.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145836103 -->

They are claiming ethanol shortages now.
But the government will not allow imports I hear.

I better leave this one alone
AAAssjani.gif
cussing.gif
firedevil.gif
soapbox.gif
overlord.gif

They are claiming ethanol shortages now.
But the government will not allow imports I hear.
Thats total BS. The ethenol plants around me pump out like a million gallons of ethenol every few months. Can't tell me there is a shortage. There is plenty of corn for the processing....

unless there are fewer plants up and running these days.

I agree about avoiding the larger suppliers. But as soon as one of larger companies lowers their price. You'll find everyone wanting cheaper fuel stopping there before the price really starts a down trend. I just dont think it would work.

400 million...just to retire...think what that ceo earned while working!!!!!

Guys, not buying gas from the majors is not how it works. They sell to each other and supply gas to most small companies also. Here Phillips/Conoco make fuel for JETS and autos. They sell to Shell, Texaco, Exxon and anyone else in this area. Just like Phillips/Conoco buys from Exxon in areas where their plants are. Not buying just hurts the Service Station owner, NOT the Oil Company
wink.gif

Im thinking bio-diesel
smile.gif
Yeah, I'm with you.

Was thinking about buying a diesel and getting free fuel from McDonalds and Chinese resturaunts. I saw a show on CNN this past weekend and learned that diesels were designed to run on vegetable oil! A guy on the show gets his oil for free because resturaunts normally have to pay someone to dispose of used oil. He just filters the used oil in his garage. He also said there is no difference in performance between using diesel or vegetable oil. No greenhouse emmissions either! You get a smell of french fries.

Well, your correct, the service that picks up our used oil at the restaurant gets it FREE
tounge.gif

DaCol. your right about the big companies buying and selling to everyone. You can buy gas from Company A,B,C and Company Z supplied them with the base cut gasoline in which ABC put their own additives and sells as their own gas. I listened to some of the hearings before Congress and Net Profits for Company Z testified approx. 10 to 12 cents per gallon of gas. That's NET PROFIT! Imagine the US only, not including the millions around the world that use gas on a daily basis. The 10 to 12 cents add up and the majority of the gasoline that supplies the US is imported because there have not been any refineries built in over 30 years. How many uses for gasoline have accumulated over the 30 year mark and how has our lifestyles changed? Like everybody says..Supply and Demand Set Prices.... for Crude on the Stock Market. Something needs to be done. WRITE your Senators to get off their A*SES and do the right thing; whether it regards gasoline, taxes, laws, or your rights. VOTE! Well, that's enough of my 2 cents. Everyone have a great day!

Ditto DaCol and jasonbusa, they all sell to one another,the additives are what seperate them. We do it all the time at work.

were just screwed on this one, demand is not going to decrease and the supply will always be low unless they build too many refineries. The only way to fight this battle is to lower the cost of production so the OIL companies can make the same profit with a lower price at the pump, unless they just get greedy. The only way to lower their cost is cheaper crude, and at $75 a barrel we are screwed, start drilling in Alaska and get our own oil again. Right now we are competeing with China and India for crude from the Arabs and that is driving the price up, so we need our own oil again so we control the price!!

No matter what happens, the Major oil Companies are going to make the profit level they desire...
If you stop buying from Exxon/Mobile they will just say they are losing money, and then hike the price even more to maintain the same profit level...
And bear in mind, Exxon/Mobile owns or operates most of the refineries in the US...
We are screwed any way we go...
We are going to pay what they want to charge us...
Or we will be staying home for a while...
Sorry, just the facts...

David

I can expect prices to rise because of costs such as regulations put on companies and oil per barrel costs, but if by chance it became overwhelming for oil companies to make a profit and compete among refineries around the world; they will probably join them. What I mean to say is that our US refineries will shut down here and compete in some other country where it is cheaper to produce oil products. Then we are really behind the eight ball as far as gas prices are concerned and can be highly influenced by the country we get our oil from. It's been going on for decades and getting worse. We need our own oil from our own soil!

Can we all just move to a tropical island with no rainy season, where it rains for 30 minutes each day, everyone rides a motorcycle that runs off of bio-whoCaresIfItRunsTheBusa, and our borders actually mean something?

Please...

Back