Former ZX14 now 09 Busa Owner Mod Info

yea I heard that the 14's were a lil sluggish stock. the only one i have riddin had a turbo.

the exhaust is a debatable. the majority of those that drag race would probably say brock's. I own and like yosh. But if I could afford it, I would get an akrapovic full system

:welcome:

I removed the secondary flies, I did it while doing other stuff to the bike. In my opinion they are just another restriction I didn't need. They were not there on the original back in 99. I think they are somehow tied into the mode selector for A B C power ranges. Since I removed them I don't see a difference in power. I did not use a power commander, we have a local speed shop that tunes the factory computer. He charges $ 75.00 for a tune allot cheaper than a power commander and you don't have something that can break this way. I don't drag my bike just ride it like I stole sometimes :whistle: But I can tell you this that there is no comparison to this bike now and stock. My buddy has an 08 that is bone stock and I can walk him in any gear badly up to 155ish. We have gone no faster than that so don't know about the upper level but I am so far ahead of him at 150 I couldn't see him making it up before I run out of gear or road :) I am going to get a dyno on it in the fall to see what it puts down. Visit my website to see my mods. They are the standard mods I think that most do. My Toys : Home Page

Welcome to the other side :)

Awesome bike! Not overdone and very usable! Congratulations.:bowdown:

yea I heard that the 14's were a lil sluggish stock. the only one i have riddin had a turbo.

the exhaust is a debatable. the majority of those that drag race would probably say brock's. I own and like yosh. But if I could afford it, I would get an akrapovic full system

:welcome:

It seems like Yosh if for nothing else than the history with Suzuki. Kinda like the Muzzy's on the Kawasaki...

give us a ZX14 vs Busa review

pros and cons plzzzzzzzzzzz
i have riden the ZX14 i must say brakes and comfort are +1

I owned a first year ZX14 and the seating position and brakes were definitely better. As for which one is quicker or handles better I think it comes down to the rider.

give us a ZX14 vs Busa review

pros and cons plzzzzzzzzzzz
i have riden the ZX14 i must say brakes and comfort are +1

My 14 was modified so hard to say at this stage as I have not done the same to the Busa yet. The 14 had Muzzy slip ons, pc3 and bmc filter with professional dyno tuning. Also bar risers and double bouble screen. So far I can tell you the 14, even stock, was more comfortable. I'm 6-2 and the Busa seat feels like it's pushing me forward and quite frankly is a little uncomfortable in the crotch compared to the 14.

Power wise is hard to tell although the 14 also had the secondary flies removed and was definately faster with less throttle than the stock 09 Busa. Almost to the point where it was too much as you had to be so careful, especially in the rain. It did, however, make you appreciate you were riding one of the fastest machines on the planet! Handling wise both machines appear similar although the Busa as is feels a bit more planted in the front although I'm still getting used to the bike. Overall though, the Busa at speed feels quite a bit lighter to me than the 14 yet very planted, especially in fast sweepers!

As the Busa is almost broken in, I am in the process of ordering and installing bar risers, Buell peg lowering kit, RSD screen, Yosh R77 slip ons, PC3 (or 4 i guess) and BMC filter. I will leave the secondary flies alone on this bike as the info I can find is that it wont make much difference. Once this is done in the next month I'll be able to better compare the 14 I owned for 2 years vs the 09 Busa.

Ok, mods are almost complete. Note the Luimoto seat covers which are getting a ton of positive response from everyone who sees the bike. Also added mirrors, seat, yosh slip ons and tail tidy along with heated grips with heli risers. Next will be peg lowers and double bouble blue tint screen on order. The bike pulled 165hp on the dyno in muggy weather at sea level stock, 173 with a much more linear curve with the yosh slip ons, pc5 and BMC street filter. Not bad and awesome to ride! Just got back today so give me a good ride this weekend on my favorite twisty and I'll give a comparo to the ZX14 I used to own. Oh yeah, also galfer steel brake lines with blue banjos and honestly, so far the brakes feel better than stock!

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good,.... love those seats!!! After reading what your bike pulled on the Dyno, I'm curious to see what mine would pull. I have almost the exact setup..... Yosh slip-ons(I have the R-22), PC5, and BMC filter except i have the race instead of street..... but the one big difference I also have is I live in CO in the high altitude:angry:. Did you get your PC5 professionally tuned? Mine will be tuned here in the near future by my local DynoJet tuner, right now I'm running a map that I down loaded from the Power Commander web site and I can definitely feel a difference already.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
okay, welcome and congrats on your new sled! where do you find those seat covers? they look outstanding with your setup. :beerchug:

Welcome to the forum.
Since I am new to the Busa myself, I do not know if what they have been doing with 1250 Bandits would be of any benefit but Dale Walker on the HoleShot site has a good write up on removing the secondaries with notable gains. Still don't know how this would relate to a Busa......

meridian,
is this switch came with heated grips or you bought it from elsewhere? from where?
p.s. you have very nice looking bike!

switch.JPG

Back