Former ZX14 now 09 Busa Owner Mod Info

Let me ask you. How are you two on gas mileage? I am looking into a zx14 coming off a 02 Busa.

I'm not a milage tracker but would guess both bikes are about the same. I haven't noticed an increase in fill ups between the Busa and the 14
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey man great thread good to have an unbiased opinion from the real world thanks and welcome aboard.

Hey man great thread good to have an unbiased opinion from the real world thanks and welcome aboard.
Thank you! Great group of riders here and very informative. I'm glad I found this site!
Posted via Mobile Device

I just checked my manual and sorry, but for 09 it is 91 or better as well...

You're right. Sorry - did not mention that mine was Gen 1 - 06 LE.
Btw, I also noticed going from N to 1st gear on ZX14 bangs much louder than my Busa. Busa is smooth. Not sure if you noticed this.

You're right. Sorry - did not mention that mine was Gen 1 - 06 LE.
Btw, I also noticed going from N to 1st gear on ZX14 bangs much louder than my Busa. Busa is smooth. Not sure if you noticed this.

Yes I remember. Major clunk going into first on the 14. I almost forgot about that!

A very interesting comparo.

I went from a 14 to a B-King, and actually find the King's gearbox better than the 14 - apart from the occasional false neutral between 5/6. The King shifts easier, and does not KLUNK into 1st from neutral like the 14. Indeed, if you hold the King's clutch in for about 5 seconds, she slips into 1st without any noise at all.

Re the brakes - the King's brakes are as good, if not slightly better than the 14's...gen-u-ine 1 finger fronts...

In general, I find the King to be better engineered and refined than the 14.....the 14 was a great bike, but like all Kawasakis she has a rough, almost visceral edge to her.

The King is really like the proverbial iron fist in the velvet glove.

That's a true comment. I had forgotten the massive clunk into first on the 14. It was actually embarrassing at red lights on hot days when cars have thier windows down!

I replaced the stock lines on the brakes with steel and noticed a big difference. The brakes are now on par with any bike I've owned.

Never had a false neutral on my Busa so that issue doesn't seem to exist on my bike.

I've read lots of comments about flies on busas. Almost everyone says to leave them in. They don't slow the busa down like they did on the G1 ZX-14.

The sticker on my 08 busa gas tank said 90 or greater octane just like the 14. I have used 89 in the cooler weather.

Last edited:
I left the flies alone on my 09 Busa and it runs perfectly with the slip ons, pc5 and BMC filter. I wouldn't remove them on this bike. I always run 91 in my bike and it runs perfect, so what the heck for a few bucks a month!:lol:

^^Ya, I really don't notice a dif in power running lower octane either. I guess it makes more power but not enough to feel any change.

Back