Former Gen I owner, now Gen II owner (Pics)

Lucid

Registered
Hello all. I owned a flat black gen I for a few years which I drag raced, then sold it pay for going back to school. Recently got a gen II after some good paychecks. I bought it bone stock, and since then I have put on: a full race yosh, lowered, stretched, chain and sprockets, race filter, stainless lines, pads, removed the decals, and a few other minor things. I'm considering a tiny shot of nitrous to get me into the 8s. (I only weigh about 155 and was in the low 9s on my gen I with similar mods.) Are there any little mods that are must-do on the gen II? (e.g., air box stuff.) Anyway, it's good to be back on the forums!

Btw, pics or it didn't happen I suppose:

FullSizeRender-5_zpsxwvpnmmn.jpg

2_zpseywcv47c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So what are your thoughts of the Gen II performance as opposed to the Gen I?

Thanks for the welcome back, guys. I plan on getting the ECU reprogramed at some point. We have a few tuners around here, luckily.

As for performance, it's been over a year since I rode my gen I, so I can't give a true side-by-side. But the Gen II seems noticeably smoother than my old bike. I also feel slightly comfortable in the corners with it, even at 5.5in stretch (shorter than my old bike, though). I also never have that "man, I hope she starts" moment I had with my Gen I (charging issues, fuel issues, etc.), which is INVALUABLE.

I recently ran this bike in the 1/4 mile and couldn't get it to go quite as fast as my old bike. My Gen I went 9.3s, and the best I could get out of the Gen II was 9.70 with a 1.6 60'. The Gen I had similar mods, no tune, but was longer (about 9in over compared to 5.5in), a bit lower, and had a new shinko stealth on it. My Gen II was still popping wheelies on the line with this tire though, so I think it was plenty sticky. I'm probably just rusty. I think that with a tune I can get this down to 9.3 or 9.4. Then I'll probably add a small shot of nitrous starting in 2nd gear to get me into the 8s. I'm happy with that.

Get a great tuner. The Gen II has secondaries and the flies are extremely lazy. If the tuner takes care of that and all the other crap you will be extremely impressed with the II

Yeah, it looks like I'm losing some power somewhere. While I have slips in the 9.3s for the Gen I, most are 9.5s. I compared some slips from my Gen I where I got out of the hole around the same as my Gen II trip last week.

Gen I: 60' - 1.665; 330 - 4.15; 1/8 - 6.21; 1000 - 8.0; 1/4 9.53; mph 148.1 (averaged 3 similar times on two different days)
GenII: 60' - 1.643; 330- 4.248; 1/8 - 6.37; 1000 - 8.19; 1/4 9.72; mph 145.7

This could be due to conditions, short shifting, older tire slipping in 2nd, etc, but I think I'm losing power and a tune will get those times down. The odd thing is that I didn't have a tune on the old bike either, but had a Brock's Streetmeg (no baffle) and a BMC race filter (compared to full race Yoshi and a BMC race filter) ??? I had the clutch mod on the Gen I, but not sure if it was installed on these runs. But the Gen II had absolutely no chatter or other clutch issues, so I'm not sure if that will impact numbers at all.

I already know I can get off the clutch faster, get WOT sooner, and get that 60' time down on my Gen II which will help.

Back