Former ZX14 now 09 Busa Owner Mod Info

Looks good,.... love those seats!!! After reading what your bike pulled on the Dyno, I'm curious to see what mine would pull. I have almost the exact setup..... Yosh slip-ons(I have the R-22), PC5, and BMC filter except i have the race instead of street..... but the one big difference I also have is I live in CO in the high altitude:angry:. Did you get your PC5 professionally tuned? Mine will be tuned here in the near future by my local DynoJet tuner, right now I'm running a map that I down loaded from the Power Commander web site and I can definitely feel a difference already.:thumbsup:

I had the bike professionally dyno tuned at mspeedperformance in Vancouver. I highly recommend this shop for any locals. When I had the ZX14 I tried the downloaded map and it never ran anywhere close to the way it did once properly dyno'd. With the Busa I went straight to mspeed and just had them install the pc5 and dyno the bike so I never tried the downloaded map. Get it dyno'd and I'm pretty sure you'll notice a massive difference!

meridian,
is this switch came with heated grips or you bought it from elsewhere? from where?
p.s. you have very nice looking bike!

Mspeed in Vancouver ordered the grips for me and honestly I can't remember the make! I will find out for you and yes, the control came with the grips.

Ok, now that I've had a bit of time on the Busa I can compare properly with the ZX14. My Busa now has similar mods to the 06 14 I owned for 3 years, including slip ons, pc, bar risers, dyno tuning, etc. The 14 dyno'd at 169.8bhp and the Busa at 173.5 on the same dyno. This is at sea level in Vancouver, BC. Out of a max of 10 I'll rate the primary aspects:

Motor: ZX14 8, Busa 10 The Busa is a much easier motor to deal with. The 14 comes on with a major rush at about 6k on the tach which makes the bike very difficult to control even at half throttle. The Busa is much more linear and doesn't have this turbo style rush to the same extent as the 14. The also proves out on the dyno charts. Winner, Busa!

Brakes: ZX14 9, Busa 8. The ZX just plainly has better brakes with much better feel than the Busa. The Busa brakes are good, but have a much spongier feel. I actually added Galfer steel lines to the Busa which made a difference, but still not as good as the 14. Advantage ZX14.

Comfort: ZX14 9, Busa 8. The 14 feels bigger which makes it more comfortable on longer runs. The Busa seat pushes you forward and there is also a definate buzz in the bars around 70mph which was not there on the 14. This might be caused by the particular resonance of the yosh r77's vs the Muzzy's I had on the 14 but either way it's there. Winner for comfort is the 14.

Handling: ZX14 7, Busa 9. Definately the Busa wins here. Everything that makes it less comfortable makes it feel lighter, turn in is quicker and the front is much more planted and confidence inspiring than the 14. For twisty highways I can run the Busa at least as fast as my old school GSXR 1100 and Ducati 851. For such a large bike the handling is amazing! Advantage Busa!

Looks: ZX14 8, Busa 10. No doubt about this one. The white Busa turns more heads than any other bike I've owned, and I've owned quite a few. Older people, young kids, car guys, young and old women alike all love this bike. I cannot park for any length of time without people stopping to look and comment. And believe it or not, almost everybody knows what a Hayabusa is and stands for. The fastest bike on the planet! Advantage Busa!

So there you have it. I've tried both and for my type of riding I'm glad I ended up with the Busa! If I was touring I would go back to the 14. But for weekend rides and around town, the Busa tops my list. Total scores: ZX14 41, Hayabusa 45!:thumbsup:

Oh, one thing I forgot to rate but I think is important:

Transmission: ZX14 10, Busa 8. The ZX14 tranny is rock solid. The Busa has trouble finding neutral is some situations and also has problems when downshifting from a panic style stop. You know the type of hard braking, perhaps on the freeway, where you might be in 5th or 6th and need to apply the brakes hard without time to downshift. Trying to find 2nd from 5th can be an issue on the Busa but was never a problem on the 14. For tranny strength and shifting the 14 is a clear winner.

Excellent comparison of the ZX-14 and Busa; I knew I picked the right one. I know exactly what you mean about the White busa and all the attention it draws and receives....... ... shhh..... don't let the orange and black owners hear that.:whistle:

I removed the secondary flies, I did it while doing other stuff to the bike. In my opinion they are just another restriction I didn't need. They were not there on the original back in 99. I think they are somehow tied into the mode selector for A B C power ranges. Since I removed them I don't see a difference in power. I did not use a power commander, we have a local speed shop that tunes the factory computer. He charges $ 75.00 for a tune allot cheaper than a power commander and you don't have something that can break ...

We tested removing the secondaries (secondary throttle plates) in the dyno and no change for top power but a lost a lot at mid range. This test even included taking off the shaft. The shop owners has a racing xz14 and thought this to be a good idea, but at the end the secondaries was put back in for power based on dyno testing results. At that time this test involved also tuning the bike with PC as ecueditor2 was not yet available.

In gen1 there was a flapper valve inside the airbox to keep up the velocity. Now as the gen2 airbox is straight the velocity control for mid range torque is done with secondaries.

As we have the ability to tune the secondaries maps, the important question is how these secondaries should be tuned with higher power applications like 1441cc to maximize the power range ?

Last edited:
Excellent comparison of the ZX-14 and Busa; I knew I picked the right one. I know exactly what you mean about the White busa and all the attention it draws and receives....... ... shhh..... don't let the orange and black owners hear that.:whistle:

We heard that.

Welcom to the .org and more of your current passion for two wheels.

Sweet ride! :thumbsup: I was also curious about the heated grips and mirrors. Any word on the vendors for those? The seat cover is awesome!

Nice looking bike dude!:bowdown:

Sweet ride! :thumbsup: I was also curious about the heated grips and mirrors. Any word on the vendors for those? The seat cover is awesome!

Nice looking bike dude!:bowdown:

The mirrors were ordered through Extreme Kempy and are Roaring Toyz design. They come in assorted colors, mine are blue to match the bike. You can view his store at Extreme Kempy This vendor is awesome with quick shipping and reasonable pricing. Very well packaged as well. I strongly recommend...

The grips were ordered locally and honestly I can't remember the make! I will try to find out for you (no name on the grips anywhere).:lol:

Oh, one thing I forgot to rate but I think is important:

Transmission: ZX14 10, Busa 8. The ZX14 tranny is rock solid. The Busa has trouble finding neutral is some situations and also has problems when downshifting from a panic style stop. You know the type of hard braking, perhaps on the freeway, where you might be in 5th or 6th and need to apply the brakes hard without time to downshift. Trying to find 2nd from 5th can be an issue on the Busa but was never a problem on the 14. For tranny strength and shifting the 14 is a clear winner.
Doesn't this make it 51 to 53? Pretty close if you ask me.

Last edited:
Doesn't this make it 51 to 53? Pretty close if you ask me.

Very close! These bikes both have their advantages, that's for sure!In Canada you can get an 08 new 14 for about 3k less than an 09 Busa which about covers the mods I've done but resale on the 14 sucks.I sold mine for about half what I paid in 06 not counting the mods with only 6000 miles on it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Let me ask you. How are you two on gas mileage? I am looking into a zx14 coming off a 02 Busa.

Back