Fixing the transmission

Ok here is an update. I got engine apart and first thing i noticed is the gears are fine IMO.
The shift forks on the other hand are toast. Here are some pictures.
The forks wear out mostly due to the gears seperating under load and they kick out of gear and wear the fork also. The shafts may be bad also like professor said.

I didnt notice it being bent. Maybe the angle of the picture?? Ill go look and see.
So from what it looks basically the shift shaft and shift fork are all toast and causing 2nd to slip?
You can't tell it from the picture. But I bet it is from looking at the fork damage. Put them in a v-block or lathe and take a peak with a dial indicator..

Look at the engagement dogs on the gears. there on the side of the gear. The gear itself will look fine as it is always engaged. The side where they mate will wear out look carefully and replace anything you question,it will be worth it in the end.   You have to take the shafts out of the case and take them apart to tell how much damage has been done.Do not put anything back together if you are looking at it and it is questionable,and always replace the circlips.
+1...

Look at the engagement dogs on the gears. there on the side of the gear. The gear itself will look fine as it is always engaged. The side where they mate will wear out look carefully and replace anything you question,it will be worth it in the end.   You have to take the shafts out of the case and take them apart to tell how much damage has been done.Do not put anything back together if you are looking at it and it is questionable,and always replace the circlips.
Exactly....

Take a look at the damage on this page

http://www.factorypro.com/tech....ift.htm

super.gif
AM -->
hayabusa99bw @ Feb. 10 2008 said:
1291219[/ATTACH] AM]
wow
wowold.gif

wowold.gif
wow what?
I was saying wow about how much work it looks like is involved, with all of the drag racing that i do i am going to have to dig into the tranny sooner or later and does not look fun, how long did it take to get everything apart?

super.gif

wowold.gif

super.gif
AM -->
1291223[/ATTACH] AM]
wow
wowold.gif

wowold.gif
wow what?
I was saying wow about how much work it looks like is involved, with all of the drag racing that i do i am going to have to dig into the tranny sooner or later and does not look fun, how long did it take to get everything apart?
Yore looking at about 2-3hrs teardown to see what is wrong and it will take a little longer to put back together beacuse you will be a little more carefull on assebbley.

super.gif

wowold.gif

super.gif
AM -->
1291297[/ATTACH] AM]
wow
wowold.gif

wowold.gif
wow what?
Well depends. I started disconnecting wires and getting the throttle body off, and just getting ready to pull the motor out. That may have taken like an hour. But to actually take the engine apart...I would say about 3 to 4 hour making sure I do it right and get all the bolts out. I took my time and made sure i put the bolts in little plastic baggies with that certain part that i pulled off. I totally recommend doing this yourself and do it for free and have fun doing it. It beats paying a shop to do it.

super.gif

wowold.gif

Ok here is an update. I got engine apart and first thing i noticed is the gears are fine IMO.
The shift forks on the other hand are toast. Here are some pictures.
The forks wear out mostly due to the gears seperating under load and they kick out of gear and wear the fork also. The shafts may be bad also like professor said.
From what it looks like Im going to have to replace the shift shafts, shift forks, and any possible gears that you said may seperate under load.

laugh.gif
you have the drive and driven shafts sitting the wrong way together but it really doesn't matter in the pic just as long as you get the gear sets installed in the correct way.

Did you get your gears backcut and it also looks like you had your gears treated or Cryo'd. I didn't have mine cut since I don't know if I am going to keep this bike. If I keep it and I have more problems I will jsut pull the motor out and do it again.
laugh.gif

I got the engine installed back in mine today and everything is running and working as advertised so next weekend it is off to the dyno.

Oh and by the way my shift forks looked just like yours.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

You are correct. I just rolled them on the table for a picture. Didn't even think to try to match them up.

Yes, back cut and wider (stronger) snap rings on a few gears. Just the cleaning/inspection process left them looking like that. I had it built by Mark @ R&D

Oh and by the way my shift forks looked just like yours.  
laugh.gif
The ones out of my bike actually looked great. 300+ passes 150 or so foot shifiting the rest with an air shifter about 9500 miles I think. It looked better than the 6 or so I have seen.

My shift fork looked just like that,Pitcure the gear getting slammed back into the fork while the little tab is in the groove in the shift drum.That's what makes the fork look like that.And the gear getting pushed while it's in position on the drum and has no where to go so it will bend the shift shaft.Mine were ok but you have to check.I forgot to mention to take a good look at the groves in the shift drum to make sure they are not all messed up.If there all messed up it will not guide the fork properly and can cause future missed shifts.Good luck,I hope it turns out well.

My shift fork looked just like that,Pitcure the gear getting slammed back into the fork while the little tab is in the groove in the shift drum.That's what makes the fork look like that.And the gear getting pushed while it's in  position on the drum and has no where to go so it will bend the shift shaft.Mine were ok but you have to check.I forgot to mention to take a good look at the groves in the shift drum to make sure they are not all messed up.If there all messed up it will not guide the fork properly and can cause future missed shifts.Good luck,I hope it turns out well.

What do i need to look for on this Drum?

My shift fork looked just like that,Pitcure the gear getting slammed back into the fork while the little tab is in the groove in the shift drum.That's what makes the fork look like that.And the gear getting pushed while it's in  position on the drum and has no where to go so it will bend the shift shaft.Mine were ok but you have to check.I forgot to mention to take a good look at the groves in the shift drum to make sure they are not all messed up.If there all messed up it will not guide the fork properly and can cause future missed shifts.Good luck,I hope it turns out well.

What do i need to look for on this Drum?
Post 24 on the first page has a link that shows the drum damage

one question I have is why do they say not to reuse the circlips? I know that after removal they could possibly become spread apart but this is not my first rodeo and the circlips were as tight after reinstallation than they were to begin with. I have always reused my circlips and never had any problems.

one question I have is why do they say not to reuse the circlips? I know that after removal they could possibly become spread apart but this is not my first rodeo and the circlips were as tight after reinstallation than they were to begin with. I have always reused my circlips and never had any problems.
I was told that, and I figure for the price of them your ordering parts anyway.Just insurance.

Back